Song Help Request Other than waltzes, are Cajun tunes always in 2/4 time?

Oldscruggsfan

Reaction score
For this week’s SOTU, I’m working through a chord melody version of Tim O’Brien’s “Kelly Joe’s Shoes”, transposed from the Key of E to C. The tune is extremely fun.

I’m comfortable with tempo, chord progression and lyrics but the beat (time signature) is throwing me off. Tim plays it in a very Cajun way, and the recording includes an accordion.

Is it reasonable to assume that 2/4 is the proper time signature?

It may be "cut" time, which to me seems like 2/4. You only count 2, where each "beat" gets 2 quarter notes.

Is the time signature a "C" with a verticle line through it? That would indicate cut time.

Yes, 2/4 is a typical time signature for Cajun music (if it’s not a waltz). Zydeco music tends to be 4/4.

It may be "cut" time, which to me seems like 2/4. You only count 2, where each "beat" gets 2 quarter notes.

Is the time signature a "C" with a verticle line through it? That would indicate cut time.
No idea. This is all I’ve been able to find & is what I referred to when transposing to C.
1717524372905.png
Here’s a YT link for the professional version. I’m guessing it was a tribute to songwriter Kelly Joe Phelps but may be off base on that.
Kelly Joe's Shoes https://g.co/kgs/d3gPrVN

I hear that as counting: | 1-2 | 1-2 | 1-2 | 1-2 | 1-2| where each is a 2-count measure.
Another way to hear it is: | 1& - 2& | 1& - 2& | 1& - 2& | 1& - 2&| each, with the &s being the backbeat (2/4)

This is the same but with a bluegrassy feel:

I transposed Tim's original Cajon version into C for you, and then played it in 4/4 @ 178 bpm. It's a catchy tune. I like it. Good pick.

C C C GC
C C C GC
G G F GC
G G F GC
C
Am Am C GC
Am Am C GC
C GC
C GC

Here's my transposed version.

View attachment Nadie - Kelly Joes shoes 2024-06-05 17_41.m4a

I'm looking forward to hearing your version this Season.

Last edited:
Going with Tim's original version, I transposed it into C for you, and played it in 4/4 @ 178 bpm. It's a catchy tune. You'll hear me singing it in some SOTU (but not the current Season, out of respect), and I'll probably play melodica too, as a substitute for the squeeze box.

Looking forward to hearing your version this Season.

C C C GC
C C C GC
G G F GC
G G F GC
Am Am C GC
Am Am C GC
C GC

View attachment 175093

Thank you! Tim gets in the ballpark of yodeling which is fun.

Thanks, all. When I get the timing right, I’d like to collaborate with accordion, guitar, bass uke & French harp. (Not for this week’s SOTU since time is so short)

Last edited:
I transposed Tim's original Cajon version into C for you, and then played it in 4/4 @ 178 bpm. It's a catchy tune. I like it. Good pick.

C C C GC
C C C GC
G G F GC
G G F GC
C
Am Am C GC
Am Am C GC
C GC
C GC

Here's my transposed version.

View attachment 175213

I'm looking forward to hearing your version this Season.
Thank you again! As often happens, I “assumed” the chorus went to F because 1st position Am and F have the same A note on the G string, thus stumbled into something close, but not correct…
View attachment KLS uke only.m4a

Last edited:
Thank you again! As often happens, I “assumed” the chorus went to F because 1st position Am and F have the same A note on the G string, thus stumbled into something close, but not correct…
View attachment 175260
That was really good!

BTW, Sautee Nacoochee is just up the road from you. We have danced there. Great fun!

Last edited:
Top Bottom