Outdoor ukes - weren't the colors part of the fun?

Eggs_n_Ham

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've always found the Outdoor brand ukes intriguing because of their large following and generally unattractive yet appealing appearance. when I had mustered the resolve (and spare funds) to purchase a green one they had stopped making green ones. Huh.

Now it seems they only make brown and black ukes to order. I'm curious as to why they scaled back to just two standard colors; seems like whenever I saw one in a tutorial it was either blue or green, not black, not brown.

Garish green and eye watering blue plastic delightfully homely ukes have a place in this world. I think Outdoor ukes should offer "to order" green or blue ukes as well.

Hey let's not forget moonshine white in tenor (which I could be talked into selling as well as the banjolele I have currently listed!)

Hey let's not forget moonshine white in tenor (which I could be talked into selling as well as the banjolele I have currently listed!)
I can’t believe the banjo uke hasn’t sold yet. Wish I could sell some ukes to get it but the market is dead.

I can’t believe the banjo uke hasn’t sold yet. Wish I could sell some ukes to get it but the market is dead.
No worries, no hurrys to sell. Someday someone will want one, especially with a nice fitting gig bag. There aren't many tenor scale banjoleles and none other that I know of that are weather-proof!

I've always found the Outdoor brand ukes intriguing because of their large following and generally unattractive yet appealing appearance. when I had mustered the resolve (and spare funds) to purchase a green one they had stopped making green ones. Huh.

Now it seems they only make brown and black ukes to order. I'm curious as to why they scaled back to just two standard colors; seems like whenever I saw one in a tutorial it was either blue or green, not black, not brown.

Garish green and eye watering blue plastic delightfully homely ukes have a place in this world. I think Outdoor ukes should offer "to order" green or blue ukes as well.
If you still want one, place a notice in our marketplace.

i agree with you on the colors. I would have got a blue or green one.

I gave my green one away, and given that I gave it to a street musician and her 10 year old daughter, I do not regret it. I do, however MISS the green. I wrote to them and they informed me that the materials that were used to make the green and some of the other colors were hard to get and expensive, and they were using up existing stocks. So, thus no more green, at least.

I gave my green one away, and given that I gave it to a street musician and her 10 year old daughter, I do not regret it. I do, however MISS the green. I wrote to them and they informed me that the materials that were used to make the green and some of the other colors were hard to get and expensive, and they were using up existing stocks. So, thus no more green, at least.
What a lovely and kind thing to do. Maybe they'll consider adding interesting colors some day..

In the past year they have pared back the choices, moved the shop... wouldn't be surprised if they are preparing to wind up the business. Looks even more likely that a concert will never happen 🙁.
That "made to order" thing on their website is a bit ominous to me, I was thinking if they're closing up the homely ukulele business- now that would be a shame especially because they are reputed to play very well.

That "made to order" thing on their website is a bit ominous to me, I was thinking if they're closing up the homely ukulele business- now that would be a shame especially because they are reputed to play very well.
They have always been made to order... at least in recent years, during which the prices have gone up about 40%. They play fine, but sound just ok (talking about the soprano), and there are much cheaper almost as durable/durable enough alternatives that sound better. not a good recipe for growth.

Last edited:
Never thought they'd survive as an American business vs. the juggernauts in the same market space. Hopefully, they'll adapt and keep going. Their products seem to get good reviews for the most part.

Their banjoleles are excellent. The synthetic body doesn’t detract from the sound of the drum head. I agree that the concept of an artisan plastic uke doesn’t quite work.

I have had four Outdoor Ukuleles and they are great. I also got an Enya Nova U for a fraction of the cost of an Outdoor Ukulele.

If I we're purchasing again I would get another Outdoor Ukulele as I prefer the traditional shape. The price of the Nova U is hard to beat though as, other than looks, it performs just as well as an Outdoor Ukulele.

I hope Outdoor Ukulele stays in business as I do want another one eventually. Bottle brown was my favorite so I am glad they still make those.

They have always been made to order... at least in recent years, during which the prices have gone up about 40%. They play fine, but sound just ok (talking about the soprano), and there are much cheaper almost as durable/durable enough alternatives that sound better. not a good recipe for growth.
I'm aware there are lots of plastic ukes available but none are quite as "beauty's only skin deep" in originality as an Outdoor uke with it's moose antler logo.

I'm aware there are lots of plastic ukes available but none are quite as "beauty's only skin deep" in originality as an Outdoor uke with it's moose antler logo.
that's definitely the best... they have have several other logos/headstock stickers over the years

I don't know, I think they sounds pretty solid (soprano also) and play well. What alternatives are cheaper what you can take out in wet weather?

I don't know, I think they sounds pretty solid (soprano also) and play well. What alternatives are cheaper what you can take out in wet weather?
Enya nova, for one... typically 1/3 the price or less and people have posted in recent days about getting them for a bit under $20. There are other plastic ukes (waterman, woodi, dayone, vorson, the one, etc.) if you just want something to play and/or aren't too picky (or don't like the mini Les Paul look).

Btw, there was also a LE/special run purple outdoor uke.

Last edited:
Top Bottom