PayPal Fast - eBay Slow

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I saw an aNueNue Hawaiian Dream C4 on Fleamarket a couple of days ago, and I arranged to buy it. I paid with PayPal, and the buyer received payment within a couple of hours. Then I saw that he was about an hour south of me, so I picked it up in person and saved him the postage.

Unfortunately, eBay now handles payment and shipping. The buyer pays eBay. eBay will tell me when they have received payment and offer me a shipping label. The item must go out within a day. After the item is shipped - or maybe received - eBay will take its commission and deposit the money in my bank. That can take several days.

I'm sorry to see eBay doing this because it slows things down - things like payment. When I receive an email saying that I got paid, there's no mention of what was sold, how much the buyer paid, or how much eBay kept. With the long delay in receiving payment, it's difficult to tell what's going on. I had several DVD sets and some camera accessories for sale, and they all sold. As payment dribbles in, I don't know what it's for. Maybe I sold a $100 item, and they're sending me $50.

eBay is now my last choice if something doesn't sell on a related forum, and I will post only one item at a time. Naturally, ukes will go here. I have a guitar I don't want, but the shipping charges would be too high. I'll try to sell it locally. I paid under $100 for a 41" Donner (I think). I had planned to turn it into uke, but it's too big.

Not sure how you're not knowing what payments are for; when ebay notifies you the email subject line is "you got paid for (title of listing)". payment handling can be a little bit slower, but not by much. And you don't have to use ebay for shipping. You can ship however you want and upload the tracking number later (or not). Similarly, you can change your preference for different handling time options, up to 3 days.

This is a blast from the past. A bit over 20 years ago I used ebay to get some double-sided cuff links, but I haven't been back there since. In this evanescent world in which we dwell it is good to see some things are still around

I think that PayPal used to belong to EBay but got spun off, so I am surprised they are still so intertwined and alternate payment options are not more common. I bought quite a few items on ebay in the past but now it's all just junk from Chinese companies and good items and actual auctions from private sellers are uncommon. I don't even bother looking there anymore.

Not sure how you're not knowing what payments are for; when ebay notifies you the email subject line is "you got paid for (title of listing)". payment handling can be a little bit slower, but not by much. And you don't have to use ebay for shipping. You can ship however you want and upload the tracking number later (or not). Similarly, you can change your preference for different handling time options, up to 3 days.

Not me. "$50.86 was sent to your bank account." It's been a couple of weeks since I sold anything. I don't know if they combined a couple of small sales, or what? I sold a tripod head and some DVD sets.

I think that PayPal used to belong to EBay but got spun off, so I am surprised they are still so intertwined and alternate payment options are not more common. I bought quite a few items on ebay in the past but now it's all just junk from Chinese companies and good items and actual auctions from private sellers are uncommon. I don't even bother looking there anymore.

They're not intertwined at all. PP isn't an option for paying on eBay. I bought a uke from Flea Market Music. I paid using PP, and he had the money within hours. I drove down and picked it up in person.

Not me. "$50.86 was sent to your bank account." It's been a couple of weeks since I sold anything. I don't know if they combined a couple of small sales, or what? I sold a tripod head and some DVD sets.
you might need to edit your notifications then

Top Bottom