Playing Classical style for Others

RayF

Reaction score
I've been wondering if there is anyone here that plays classical ukulele for the enjoyment of anyone other than themselves. I've been playing classical pieces for about the last year and a half now. I love Putter's tabs and I play a few other pieces also. Can't remember the last time I did any strumming. I know that classical music in general doesn't appeal to a lot of people. I play something for my family and they say “that's nice”, but they're just trying to humor me. I do really enjoy playing for myself and I am going to continue to do that, but I'm wondering if anybody is playing for someone other than themselves.

I play some classical pieces including a couple I have arranged myself. I don't perform much for others, but my wife really likes the classical arrangements when I play or practice them. My friends seem kind of surprised and impressed that a ukulele can sound like that.

For a number of years I was a member of a ukulele performance group that played mostly instrumental music in 2, 3, or 4 part harmony. Our repertoire included quite a few classical pieces, and they always seemed to be well received by our audiences. While classical may not have been their favorite genre of music, the novelty of seeing it performed on ukuleles appeared to capture their fancy. I think the experience made classical music more approachable for them. And it also engendered greater respect for the humble uke. A win-win situation, in my opinion. :)

I had an opportunity to play with my teacher (he played guitar) this winter as one of the entertainment slots at a local Christmas market, and people really enjoyed it. Of course, it was that sort of a crowd that would probably not be offended by classical music to start with, and who would be expecting that kind of music at this event, but still!

I agree with Jan, it's really wonderful to play ensemble music with ukulele, but it's even more wonderful to do it with other instruments. I've just started playing with a lady who plays recorder, and the two sound glorious together (my ukulele has a very mellow timbre and it compliments the recorder beautifully). So it might be something to look at doing with a friend or two who play other instruments, too!

I discovered classical instrmental ukulele playing only quite recently. I was looking for tutorials to improve my fingerpicking style, which I used for accompanying my classical singing. I sang last year “ Ridente la calma”, a Mozart aria, for a group of people, and accompanied myself with fingerpicking chords. I also played other opera and classical songs, but only with extremely simple accompaniment. Then I found a tutorial om “Campanella” style by Sam Muir, who wrote a lot about classical uke books. I found the John King books and the arrangements Michael P. Walker and Tony Mizen. I bought “Arthropoda”, and play some of these pieces for the elderly people I work with.

I play classical pieces in my college orchestra together with 1 or 2 classical guitars, we play the same pieces with some adjustements by the director.
Having a loud tenor with high tension strings can somewhat overpower the floppy stringed classical guitars 😅
We are not a full symphonic orchestra so playing with us we have flutes, sax, oboe, clarinet, viola, cello, a couple of violins, and the director tries to balance them all. I love playing in orchestra with ukulele, even if I get strange looks when we go visit other colleges and play for them. Ukulele in orchestra between violins and cell isn't that common.
Sometimes we play strumming too, it depends on the event or if we play for the college choir... so not only classical pieces.

I have played some classical pieces during church services. I played quite often for a few years while we didn't have an organist or choir. I haven't played at our church in a while.
I do play at the church my wife grew up in when visiting Hawaii. I usually play The Queen's Prayer with the organist and sometimes during communion.

I've been wondering if there is anyone here that plays classical ukulele for the enjoyment of anyone other than themselves. I've been playing classical pieces for about the last year and a half now. I love Putter's tabs and I play a few other pieces also. Can't remember the last time I did any strumming. I know that classical music in general doesn't appeal to a lot of people. I play something for my family and they say “that's nice”, but they're just trying to humor me. I do really enjoy playing for myself and I am going to continue to do that, but I'm wondering if anybody is playing for someone other than themselves.
There’s a thread dedicated to classical style which I’ve included. There’s a small community focused on this to pic. While I haven’t posted any conte yet (call me chief observer), I have gleaned some helpful tips and materials.

Post in thread 'Classical Ukulele Players Challenge!'
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/threads/classical-ukulele-players-challenge.162195/post-2465915

Top Bottom