Please, somebody buy this

Lovely looking uke! - I've never seen a bridge attached so low on the sound board - most luthiers aim for as close to the middle of the sound board as possible (like hitting a drum in the middle gives a fuller sound)
It may sound fantastic, but unusual constrution.
I’ve always noticed the same about the bridge placement on Koaloha sopranos

Lovely looking uke! - I've never seen a bridge attached so low on the sound board - most luthiers aim for as close to the middle of the sound board as possible (like hitting a drum in the middle gives a fuller sound)
It may sound fantastic, but unusual constrution.
It’s all about getting the intonation right. The 12th fret should be midway between the nut and the saddle (IIRC). This luthier chose to use a long fretboard, so the bridge had to be low on the bout.

Griz at KoAloha told me a couple weeks ago that around March they started adding additional bracing near the bridge to prevent dishing on the sopranos. Don't know how that will impact tone.
Interesting. I’m very curious to hear reports on how the new ones compare.

Has anyone heard of the presumably-French luthier Franck Cheval? This is a pretty instrument. It was built 25 years ago do long before I was in ukulele world.
Tracing via a few links, I think this is the maker. Doesn’t look like he typically does ukes these days, but he did an 8 string one a few years ago.

Does anyone have any idea about this brand of ukulele? Or what’s going on with the back? Ebony fingerboard, mahogany neck, rosewood bridge. The soundboard is…uh…wood? It’s intriguing if a bit short in details and Google wasn’t much help.

Does anyone have any idea about this brand of ukulele? Or what’s going on with the back? Ebony fingerboard, mahogany neck, rosewood bridge. The soundboard is…uh…wood? It’s intriguing if a bit short in details and Google wasn’t much help.

If you make the currency conversion from ¥ to $, looks like the reverb-price is high-ish for a pre-owned one.
Cannot find anything on the back, but when you search you'll find similar builds from the same brand with a wooden back.

Reactions: Kei
Almost looks like a plastic bowl back, a la ovation and ohana. Pretty narrow nut for a tenor.
This is what I was thinking as well. If it isn’t wood, that would be a little pricey in my opinion.

If you make the currency conversion from ¥ to $, looks like the reverb-price is high-ish for a pre-owned one.
Cannot find anything on the back, but when you search you'll find similar builds from the same brand with a wooden back.
Translating that page you linked to says back and sides are mahogany and top is "lace" wood but exact type not determined. They describe the back/sides shape as hollowed out and reminiscent of old instruments. Not sure if that means actually hollowed out from a block of wood or that's just a quirk of the translation. Nice instrument, regardless. Ad says made in 2005, so it's been around.

• Bill Collings' signature on the label inside the sound hole
  • "Low-G Setup" which means you can string it either way (Low-G or High-G)
  • Collings trademark ''haircut'' peghead shape
  • so very smooth on the fingers
  • mahogany that I tried to photograph but it is difficult
  • I can vouch for this instrument
  • the eBay International Shipping Program
Well, when they put it that way. 😆 Unconventional marketing choices notwithstanding, it’s is indeed a rare and sweet find. If I were in the market for a concert model, I would be considering this one.

Last edited:
  • Bill Collings' signature on the label inside the sound hole
  • "Low-G Setup" which means you can string it either way (Low-G or High-G)
  • Collings trademark ''haircut'' peghead shape
  • so very smooth on the fingers
  • mahogany that I tried to photograph but it is difficult
  • I can vouch for this instrument
  • the eBay International Shipping Program
Well, when they put it that way. 😆 Unconventional marketing choices notwithstanding, it’s is indeed a rare and sweet find. If I were in the market for a concert model, I would be considering this one.
It doesn't look like they tried very hard to photograph it...every picture was taken in the dark? How is it a bright sunny day but the uke is cast in shadow? Wonder if there's a crack or blemish on the front they're trying to hide.

It doesn't look like they tried very hard to photograph it...every picture was taken in the dark? How is it a bright sunny day but the uke is cast in shadow? Wonder if there's a crack or blemish on the front they're trying to hide.
I was just thinking that their photography skills are almost as bad as mine ;)

The same thought occurred to me but I tend to give the benefit of the doubt until I’m ready to ask for better shots. Taking them with the light source in the background won’t work all that well. Also, I am not sure that Bill’s signature is a selling point since pretty much all the ukes have that.

Top Bottom