Traded Pohaku Cedar/Walnut Concert Ukulele - Christmas comes early!

Price
$700
Shipping
CONUS shipping included
Size
Concert

Ad-LowG

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Don't miss this one - give yourself (or someone else) the gift of a beautiful, handmade Pohaku Solid Cedar and Walnut Concert Ukulele!

I was looking for a cedar concert ukulele for some time, and snapped this one up on UU Marketplace as soon as it was listed. It is an incredible instrument: The solid cedar and walnut create a bright tone with good attack, yet it still has great warmth and depth to the tone. The set-up is perfect, and it looks ... well, you can see for yourself. The woods used are flawless, the accents and fret markers are beautiful, and as always, luthier Peter Hurney's craftsmanship is excellent. The top is solid Cedar with a solid Walnut body, Mahogony fretboard, Rosewood neck. Maple accents, binding and rosette, Fret Markers are Abalone (Maple on side markers), gloss finish, and it has modern peghead tuners that are easy to adjust, hold like a dream, and gve this uke a clean and classic look.

Built in 2008, this has classic Concert dimensions (not Pohaku's Concert 10). I restrung it with Fremont Black fluorocarbon strings, with a low G, but otherwise, it is in the same condition I purchased it in 5 months ago (near mint, with some light strum marks in the finish). I take good care of all my ukes, and all are kept hunidified. Ships with orginal Pohaku hard case.

So why am I letting this dream uke go? This is the first uke I've owned with a 1 1/2" width at the nut, and all my other ukes are 1 3/8". It may seem like a small difference, but it is noticeable for me when I play. I have tried getting used to it over the past 5 months, but find I really prefer the smaller nut width, and as such, I am not playing this one much. I'd like to see it go to someone who will enjoy playing it, and I will be looking to replace it with another cedar or spruce concert with the proceeds.
I am listing it for the same price I purchased it for, and will consider all reasonable offers. Also open to a trade for a similar quality cedar or spruce concert uke. I have purchased and traded several times on this site (including buying this one), with a solid history, and will accept payment via Venmo or Zelle.

You can find the original listing on UU Marketplace here:

If you are unfamiliar with Pohaku Ukuleles, you can learn more about Puter Hurney and his work at:

Attachments

• IMG_6945.jpg
    IMG_6945.jpg
    730.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_6946.jpg
    IMG_6946.jpg
    987.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_6947.jpg
    IMG_6947.jpg
    748.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_6948.jpg
    IMG_6948.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_6949.jpg
    IMG_6949.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_6950.jpg
    IMG_6950.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_6954.jpg
    IMG_6954.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_6955.jpg
    IMG_6955.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 127
Ahaaa, so tempting. Peter builds great looking and sounding ukes. I have three - a koa concert and a quilted mahogany soprano, both that he built for me in 2008. And a six string tenor that he built in 2003. None of these would I ever part with. Hmmmm, have to think on this. Cheers

It’s an amazing ukulele - I’m the seller that Ad Low-G purchased it from…
This is one of the best parts of our Marketplace IMHO: I love the provenance of ownership of the ukuleles that pass through here. It's wonderful.

I just said to my husband "thank goodness I'm not a concert girl" and showed him the pics. This one is gorgeous and I LOVE a cedar top.

ETA - lol of course, not thank goodness for YOU or your sale efforts. Merely for my bank account. It's beautiful, I hope someone snaps it up soon!

Last edited:
This is one of the best parts of our Marketplace IMHO: I love the provenance of ownership of the ukuleles that pass through here. It's wonderful.

I just said to my husband "thank goodness I'm not a concert girl" and showed him the pics. This one is gorgeous and I LOVE a cedar top.

ETA - lol of course, not thank goodness for YOU or your sale efforts. Merely for my bank account. It's beautiful, I hope someone snaps it up soon!
Just by way of clarification, I am NOT the original owner. But yes, it's nice to have that extra level of familiarity with some of the instruments that are bought and sold here...

I have played this uke, as Adam and I are part of the same uke group. It is, indeed, a fantastic uke, and he is a stand up guy. Buy with confidence, and know this is a killer uke!

I agree it is stunning (although I am biased), and yes, this is one of the great facets of this site. Thanks for your work!

Ahaaa, so tempting. Peter builds great looking and sounding ukes. I have three - a koa concert and a quilted mahogany soprano, both that he built for me in 2008. And a six string tenor that he built in 2003. None of these would I ever part with. Hmmmm, have to think on this. Cheers
You won't have to think too hard... I skipped the shipping process and picked this up in Seattle today. 😁 I'm playing a bit of catch up, as this is now my second Pohaku in eight days. Peter must've cast a spell on me or something. I knew I shouldn't have accepted that water when I visited!!

You won't have to think too hard... I skipped the shipping process and picked this up in Seattle today. 😁 I'm playing a bit of catch up, as this is now my second Pohaku in eight days. Peter must've cast a spell on me or something. I knew I shouldn't have accepted that water when I visited!!
Great to meet you today, and thank you!

Top Bottom