Post goals / frameworks to follow for 2024. Happy New Year to my favorite community ❤️❤️❤️🤙🤙🤙

kerneltime

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Awesome idea @kerneltime

Here is my list:
1) work on vocals, maybe get some singing lessons
2) play more uke and hone my playing skills
3) no more UAS, maybe off load some ukes.

Better timing.
Improve my phrasing.
Practice more harmonization.
Be more economical with my fingerings.
Work on my alternate picking a bit more.
Improve my note clarity on certain barre chords.
Play more!
Explore more alternate tunings. Even just flattening a half step is quite fun.
Collab with more musicians
Arrange more music
Commission my last custom uke?

Working to improve technique, specifically getting more comfortable and flexible with left hand fingering and improving tone with use of thumb in finger picking (cause I'ma gettin somethin that needs skill specifically in that area 😉).

I know this is achievable because anything is an improvement if I keep practicing with focus!

Has it become politically incorrect to call it a New Year's Resolution?
1. Listen to more unfamiliar music
2. Practice Jazzy arpeggios
3. Build more

Arrange a bunch of Gaspar Sanz for my new Guita-Timple-lele.

Specifically finally learn his “Canarios”, the piece that ultimately lead me to take up the Ukulele 14 years ago?!?!?!

Record some Machete - guitar duets myself, so I don’t let the guitar fall off my plate.

Stay well enough physically to carry a snare drum for the Pipe Band I joined in October.

Occasionally record an original song.

Last edited:
1. Downsize. I have my eye one specific instrument, so if that happens it means I need to sell at least two!
2. Start private lessons. This one is a little out of my control - I have two specific teachers that I would like to work with, so I am at the mercy of their current wait lists.
3. Attend at least one festival - most likely a return to Midwest Uke Camp.
4. Learn a few new (for me) pieces:
  • Adelita (to go along with Lágrima from this year)
  • Amis Rondo
  • Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring

1. PLAY!!! Between a crippling injury to my wife, rehabbing the house and yard for wheelchair accessibility, and a pair of stupid injuries of my own on the personal side, plus a little too much time on the backend of various websites in the UU Cinematic Universe, and a freakishly "good" year at my main job that's taken way more time than it ever has before, I've played the ukulele maybe three times this year. Today's one of 'em, because I want to get a running start on the new year!

I was caught up a little in the dynamic of "letting the perfect be the enemy of the good", in that in 2022, I was up to an hour a day or more, pretty much every day, and was making really satisfying progress. Well, I don't see myself having an hour open until spring maybe, so I'm gonna have to learn to "settle" for briefer sessions. My brothers and sisters on the autism spectrum with me will tell you that this is much, much harder than it sounds, so it's going to be a learning process...but worth undertaking! Not even as much to make progress, as much as to just get back to where I was a year ago! Then maybe start to build from there.

2. SING!!! I really want to sing while playing, and it occurs to me -- since singing is the harder thing for me, I should be practicing it more! And unlike playing the ukulele, I can sing while I say, cook, or clean, or drive. So that's what I want to do this year: sing more. If I can combine it with playing the uke, that'll be awesome, but for now, I just want to sing more. I saw a character in a book I was reading this week say, "I don't sing because I'm happy; I'm happy because I sing", which I think is even more important for people with less than stellar voices (like me!) to remember. The joyful sound is for ME, even if it's not so joyful to anyone else. 🤣

3. Learn 1 Hawaiian song. It doesn't bug me that I never developed any Hawaiian numbers for my repertoire, because I've got enough stuff that's screaming to get out of me first....but then I came across THIS little ditty via Ukulele Underground, and I'm absolutely obsessed with it! It helps that it's only a minute and a half long -- just about right to get started! -- but I think it's also lovely. After I get going on the fingerstyle/chord melody/instrumental version, I'm thinking I might even try to learn at least some of the Hawaiian lyrics! Both the instrumental and sung versions are in that link.

4. Stretch goal: Make progress toward a custom uke. I've been thinking about some stuff, but my big realization is that, while I've played a handful of ukes a lot of times, I haven't played a lot of ukes! I DO know what I like the LOOK of, but I haven't HEARD enough different ones!

I can't afford to buy any right now, but I happen to live near some ukulele stores, so I just need to play a few more to help me come in for a landing on how I want it to sound. Oh yeah, and the size. :ROFLMAO: But really, this is a lot farther down the list than it looks. Goals 1 and 2 are like a mile out in front of learning any particular song, and that one's about 4 miles out in front of this one....but hey, gotta start somewhere, and 5 miles back of the leaders is definitely somewhere! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Has it become politically incorrect to call it a New Year's Resolution?
Maybe grammatically incorrect. It is your New Year resolution not the New Year’s resolution.

One of mine is to resign from the Grammar Police Department.
Two, learn to preform a song from memory.
And then get a Naupaka to help with number two.

I was caught up a little in the dynamic of "letting the perfect be the enemy of the good", in that in 2022, I was up to an hour a day or more, pretty much every day, and was making really satisfying progress. Well, I don't see myself having an hour open until spring maybe, so I'm gonna have to learn to "settle" for briefer sessions.
I am not always great at following my own advice, BUT- I would like to offer a couple of thoughts.

Sometimes we decide- I NEED to spend an hour and when we don't have an hour, we just throw in the towel. Remember that if you have a few minutes here or there, it is better than no minutes. We often look for an unbroken chunk of time, but 5 or 10 minutes here or there can add up.

Try to have a goal, even small one so that practice time is not aimless. Get something accomplished and feel good about it, even if that is 4 measures, a simple chord progression, a section of a tune, etc

Sorry to hear about all your struggles. I hope the new year will be a good one and you will make some progress. Take care of the important stuff

As always, thanks for all the great things you have done and continue to do to make this site great.

Now, as far as my goals, I am still figuring that out

I am not always great at following my own advice, BUT- I would like to offer a couple of thoughts.

Sometimes we decide- I NEED to spend an hour and when we don't have an hour, we just throw in the towel. Remember that if you have a few minutes here or there, it is better than no minutes. We often look for an unbroken chunk of time, but 5 or 10 minutes here or there can add up.

Try to have a goal, even small one so that practice time is not aimless. Get something accomplished and feel good about it, even if that is 4 measures, a simple chord progression, a section of a tune, etc

Sorry to hear about all your struggles. I hope the new year will be a good one and you will make some progress. Take care of the important stuff

As always, thanks for all the great things you have done and continue to do to make this site great.

Now, as far as my goals, I am still figuring that out
Yes!

Tim, I hope you can find a way to feel like picking up a uke for 2 minutes and strumming a chord or picking a melody is a big win. Because it is.

So sorry to hear about your wife’s injuries.🙏🙏🙏

Practice chord progressions on different tunings,on different instruments, 23A02E22-E6D2-4CCB-B79A-37C6715840AC.jpegB133430C-9A14-4FF5-AFDB-D74A4B88FA96.jpegrefinish our sailboat, finish my ‘40 Oldsmobile hot rod…

Improve left hand. Improve right hand. Practice more and smarter. Sound better. Even a little (in regard to all of the above).

And by the way, @TimWilson, our friends @EDW and @engravertom are right! I always struggled to put in a full hour a day but had a hard time doing that in 2023. I often had to settle for half an hour, 20 minutes, or even less.

I found a way to make peace with this. I tell myself I‘m just gonna open the case and tune up, maybe just check to see that all is well, the Boveda packs aren’t dried out or whatever. Then, just say hi to the uke, do a few strums or chords. Invariably I feel better than if I’d done nothing at all.

The important thing is to touch base with that side of yourself every day, however briefly.

Remember that if you have a few minutes here or there, it is better than no minutes.
Finally, Happy New Year to you and Nora, Tim, and a thousand thanks for all you do for us (@ploverwing too!).

Last edited:
Top Bottom