Proper mix when playing with guitars

KaminTheWeaver

Reaction score
I’m looking for tips and general wisdom about EQ and PA mix settings when playing plugged with with guitars.

I’ve begun playing with a couple guitar players using dreadnoughts and have found that I’m often drowned out when they strum at normal strength. I had my volume and gain as high as I could get it without feedback, but it still wasn’t enough. Other than simply adjusting the master volume of each channel, what have you done to properly mix a ukulele and guitar?

I’m looking for tips and general wisdom about EQ and PA mix settings when playing plugged with with guitars.

I’ve begun playing with a couple guitar players using dreadnoughts and have found that I’m often drowned out when they strum at normal strength. I had my volume and gain as high as I could get it without feedback, but it still wasn’t enough. Other than simply adjusting the master volume of each channel, what have you done to properly mix a ukulele and guitar?
Check out Brad Bordessa’s Live Ukulele podcast, he has a whole episode on best ways to do live uke sound, pros and cons of different approaches, alone and with others.

Which pickup system are you using, or are you using a mic? If your uke has a built-in "EQ" system, please tell us the make/model of the ukulele.

This may help:

<edit 1> Is the feedback a low howl, or a high squeal?
If low howl then at the mixer you need to set "on" the High Pass filter for your channel. If there is no HP filter, roll off the bass EQ in your channel.

<edit 2> If it is a squeal (likely if you are using a microphone) ... again, first make sure the lows are rolled off and roll off the highs at the mixer.

Last edited:
Are you playing at a gig?

If not, you could ask the 'offending' guitar players to turn down ..:LOL:

OR, maybe get a preamp with enough equalization bands to cut the frequency or frequencies that are causing the feedback.

If you have a wireless or long enough cable, try to situate yourself further away and behind the PA speakers. This should allow you to increase your volume without generating feedback.

Last edited:
Lots of questions, here.

Are you the only one amplified? Please don't enter into a volume war. You will lose.

If the guitars are also plugged in, they can be turned down. That is; if they value what you are playing.

There. I said it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great responses! I'll check out that podcast.

We are all plugged in...I imagine they have active pickups. I am playing with a K&K pickup running through a redeye preamp...so I should have enough power. The feedback sounds like distortion when the gain is too high and I strum too hard.

"If the guitars are also plugged in, they can be turned down. That is; if they value what you are playing. There. I said it." - This could be the real issue!

Last edited:
The Redeye fixes all impedance issues. That is good.

At the mixer, start off with all channel EQs set straight up (flat). On the Redeye set all knobs in the middle position. That's where it will be the most "natural". If it's too "clanky" roll off the treble. The person running the PA may want to adjust (fine tune) the channel's mid or high EQ.

For normal playing with the boost switch off, the gain (loudness through the PA) should be set at the mixer channel.

As you advance the "boost" (and activate it with the footswitch) you will get louder, but it may also cause distortion at the mixer's input.

It's a balance between boost off and boost on. Unless you are soloing, the boost switch should be clicked off.

Last edited:
Try getting one of these:

And one of these:

And you'll also need a cool hat.

I don't know your situation. You may have to live with the venue's PA system and have little control over the mix.

If you do have control, don't forget to have someone sit in the audience area and let you know how the balance is. What you hear in the group while playing is NOT what the audience hears.

If you're just jammin' together and you show up, plug in and away you go, then you'll have to work out your settings ahead of time and then adjust as you go.

If the other players are willing to spend 15-30 minutes to work out the sound (which they should), it optimal. Take pics and notes on the settings you agree on, and then use that as a baseline for future get-togethers.

If you're a bluegrass group and you all stand around a single mic. You can only work with the distance each players stands from the mic. The soloist usually moves in closest and then backs away. The electric saw and other instruments are often located away from the center and are miked separately. ;)

In our band, all the amps are run through the sound board and the sound person controls the volume of each instrument and singer. We can hear the results through the monitors...

Top Bottom