Q: Experience/sound sample for Kimo Ukulele 'big baritone'?

ikimiki

Reaction score
Hi All,

Can any of you out there share your experience with the Kimo Ukulele big baritone? I am very tempted to commission one of these, but I am hesitant to go in on looks alone (and let's face it, they are very attractive instruments).

I have a super tenor which is a bigger body tenor. It's sounds great.

If you go to his Instagram page and look at the tagged videos, there are videos of folks playing his instruments.

If you're going to bespeak a baritone, you cannot get a sound sample because your baritone is going to be handmade and unique. Previous customers of Kimo may be able to provide a sample, but that really won't amount to much. You may as well listen to some samples of plywood Kala baritones with the understanding that your Kimo baritone will sound similar--maybe a bit warmer, perhaps a bit more bright. In short, if you're going to enter into the world of custom ukes, you have to trust. Assembly lines can produce the homogeneity of a Kala or Ohana, but hand-made ukes aren't so monolithic. A Kimo uke is going to be excellent, but unique--which in the world of ukes isn't saying much since a C major chord is a C major chord whether you play it on a $10000 uke or a $100.

If you go to his Instagram page and look at the tagged videos, there are videos of folks playing his instruments.
Instagram -- thanks, I'll try that!

I have two Kimo ukes, and at least a few other folks have them from him. His instruments are pretty warm and open. Hank has also said before he has a money-back guarantee, and I've had no regrets with either.

Perfect! Thanks! I'm not an insta guy, but fortunately my kids are!

It appears that his Instagram has uploads from folks playing tenors.

He's only building 4 string ukulele at this point, no 6 or 8 string, or Guitalele. Good luck

I bought a used Kimo tenor about 5 years ago, liked it so much I commissioned a super concert. I know that doesn't answer your baritone question but Hank is great to work with. Tell him the tone you prefer, warm or bright, big sustain or more percussive. He will guide you in the selection of the wood combos to get you there.

As far as I'm concerned he is the best over all value in a custom build out there. One of my playing partner is very fussy, very critical of tone and after playing my two Kimos ordered a tenor and was very happy.

Top Bottom