New question on file uploads

A new suggestion that needs examination

Timm_S

Reaction score
Hello wonderful UU moderators and whomever reads these...

I am attempting to upload a video today to the latest SOTU for the first time (!), and it tells me my file is too big to upload.
I've uploaded a few previous QuickTime videos with no problem, those file sizes have been circa 130 MB.

I tried today uploading first a file that was almost 2 GB (okay, that's big!) but then I saved it down to 210 MB (720p), then again to 73 MB (480p) and it wouldn't take either one of those attempts either. Is there something I need to know?

Thanks,
-Tim

I don't think this site is setup for video file hosting. Everyone generally uploads their videos to YouTube, then post a link here.

I'm not sure of the file size limit for videos here, @TimWilson would have a better idea of that, but it's definitely true that most (if not all) SOTU submissions are posted to YouTube and then that link shared to the current Season. There are details about how to do that here:

I'm not sure of the file size limit for videos here, @TimWilson would have a better idea of that, but it's definitely true that most (if not all) SOTU submissions are posted to YouTube and then that link shared to the current Season. There are details about how to do that here:

Hi @Timm_S!

I was typing something along these very lines when Amie replied!

Our server just isn't equipped to host video. We can handle audio uploads and streaming playback, but not video. Uploading to an external site is really the only option. You can in fact use Facebook, Vimeo, Instagram, and plenty of others, but the reason why most Seasonistas go with YT is for the purpose of having a single playlist with the videos and only the videos for those folks who just want to watch without additional distractions.

Having said this, I'm intrigued that you mentioned having uploaded 130MB QuickTime files before. I'd sure love to know how you did it! I didn't think it was possible!

Thanks so much for jumping right into the community!

Cheers,
Tim

Oh okay, that's the step I forgot to do today! Yes my previous ones were both via you tube. Thanks for the reminder. Operator error.

Top Bottom