Done! Reactions not available on all themes (was: How do I react with something other than thumbs up?)

A suggestion that has been implemented and is available

Brian PacNW

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
How do I react to a post with something other than a thumbs up? I seem to remember discovering how before, but now I can't seem to find the magic button.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
You currently need to be in the blue "Default" theme. @TimWilson is working on getting it enabled in the brown "Pro Blue" theme.

Once in the right theme press and hold or right click or such on the like button. Details depend on how your browser works.

Within the off-white-shaded box in which I'm typing this response, there is a row of icons along the top left margin. Counting from left to right, the 12th symbol/ icon is a smiley face. When I click on that, a small window appears, and contains what looks like a gazillion emojis such as :alien:😍:eek:💪👀🦩🦀🦕. As I click each one, they appear here. When I click the mouse back here, the window disappears and I start typing again.

I'm in Google Chrome and my browser is Safari. Clear as mud?

Within the off-white-shaded box in which I'm typing this response, there is a row of icons along the top left margin. Counting from left to right, the 12th symbol/ icon is a smiley face. When I click on that, a small window appears, and contains what looks like a gazillion emojis such as :alien:😍:eek:💪👀🦩🦀🦕. As I click each one, they appear here. When I click the mouse back here, the window disappears and I start typing again.

I'm in Google Chrome and my browser is Safari. Clear as mud?
That's a bit different. You've described how to add emojis within text of a reply. Brian means the reaction, as in using more than just a like reaction to a post.
A little more explanation would be helpful since I have no idea what this means...
If you scroll alllllll the way down to the lower left of your window for the forum there'll be something that says "ProBlue Style". Click on that. Choose "Default Style" instead (there will be two options that pop up, one of which is "Default").

The "ProBlue" theme is, ironically, brown in palette. The "Default" theme is, annoyingly, blue in palette.

When I have time to be on a computer rather than a mobile I'll do a screenshot how to.

A little more explanation would be helpful since I have no idea what this means...
You can change choose which style (colours, etc) you want the forum to display at the bottom of the page.If you look now at the bottom left it probably says "Pro Blue". Click on it and choose "Default style" to switch.
lApnkdh.png

This link should do it as well: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/index.php?misc/style

Once switched, the forum will change from UU's earth tones and logo to XenForo's default blue style:
72VSP4k.png

Then you can alt-click on the like button (press and hold on mobile, hover over on desktop)
PZS8ph5.png

Last edited:
How do I react to a post with something other than a thumbs up? I seem to remember discovering how before, but now I can't seem to find the magic button.

You currently need to be in the blue "Default" theme. @TimWilson is working on getting it enabled in the brown "Pro Blue" theme.

Once in the right theme press and hold or right click or such on the like button. Details depend on how your browser works.
If you scroll alllllll the way down to the lower left of your window for the forum there'll be something that says "ProBlue Style". Click on that. Choose "Default Style" instead (there will be two options that pop up, one of which is "Default").
Awesome, thanks @Arcy and @ploverwing . Much appreciated!

I made the change, but in thinking about it, I don't need to choose anything more than Like, and I also prefer to have the UU Header.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West near the Beverly Center
4 tenor thinline cutaway ukes, 6 thinline acoustic bass ukes
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member Cali Rose & The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video and www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I made the change, but in thinking about it, I don't need to choose anything more than Like, and I also prefer to have the UU Header.
I learned that you can go to default, insert the chosen emoji, then go back to Pro Blue and the emoji stays and all else is as before.

Yes, the Default is REALLY the default! Straight outta the box.

We've got a lot of styling fun underway to go with all the serious stuff, and it will all have the UU logo where it belongs!

More news soon!

In our politically correct World, the thumbs down response has been removed from just about everywhere.
To be honest, this was probably a good thing. You can still make a negative comment if you want, its just a little harder than pressing a button.

And if members did that (Reply to the post with: "Thanks for that post, I enjoyed reading it" or something similar.), there would be another 20 posts on this short thread already. The like button and emojis serve a very functional purpose to give feedback without cluttering up the forum.

In our politically correct World, the thumbs down response has been removed from just about everywhere.
To be honest, this was probably a good thing. You can still make a negative comment if you want, its just a little harder than pressing a button.

Yeah, I've been working on some aspect of the back end of this stuff for just over 40 years, long before there was a world wide web. (Does anybody even use that phrase anymore?) Getting rid of thumbs down has nothing whatsoever to do with "today's world". Online hostility is so easy and reflexive, and the feedback loop explodes far more quickly than positive. It's just an elemental truth that no is always louder than yes.

Online negativity is also so often vicious and baseless, wanton destruction for the "fun" of it. It's not just humanity at its worst. It's making humanity worse.

We KNOW this. We know it beyond any shadow of a doubt. We didn't know that in the past, back when the imagined future of connectivity was supposed to be nothing short of heaven on earth. Those of us trying to build that world were idiots. LOL

So now that we know better, it's time to DO better. It's time to BE better.

As I grow ever closer to my final horizon, I think about this all day, every day. It keeps me up at night. I want to do whatever I can to help balance out the karma of all the garbage that the online world I've helped build has dumped on all of us. I'm hopeful that my good intent is somewhere on the cosmic balance sheet, because I don't have enough time left to meaningfully reverse the damage. Minimizing thumbs downs is a miniscule step in the right direction.

And yeah, I think UU is one of the places responsible for spreading good vibrations. I'm thrilled to help contribute to the next stage of its growth, building on the wonderful things that all of you have been doing for so many years. You've led the way, and I'm happy to help clean up the tech for you to keep leading.

(Needless to say, this is me speaking personally, and not in any way on behalf of UU. I thank all of you, as well as UU management for allowing me to be here in both capacities, sometimes switching roles within a single post.)

Honestly, I think YouTube is getting this right. Only SHOW the likes count, and leave the thumbs down button there for people who HAVE to press it -- but you know what? Nobody else needs to know.

It's kinda like flatulence. BAD things will happen if you don't let it out. You HAVE to let it out, we all understand that...but nobody else needs to know about it. Keep it to yourself.

Now if only I could persuade my dog about this. 🤣

And if members did that, there would be another 20 posts on this short thread already. The like button and emojis serve a very functional purpose to give feedback without cluttering up the forum.

Yeah, they serve an actual purpose...but they mostly make me laugh, and I guess that's a good purpose too.

Guess what? Gonna have some more emoji news soon too. ☺️

Last edited:
The emojis are also very complicated and hard to work out, you need a book to find them all.

I stick with a dozen or so, and don't bother digging deeper. It's just like anything else that way -- you don't cook every recipe in a book, or play every every possible chord on an instrument. Just the ones you need.

And for that, there's search! Right at the top of the box!

Screenshot_20230118-194305.png

Like all search engines, it will eventually train you. 🤣 So, "I'm not sure about this emoji nonsense" might not get you anything, but "unsure" gives a couple of choices. I like this one: :unsure:

Many of my regular emojis came from searches just like this. Then they populate the "Recently Used" section of the menu, right below Search.

Don't bother searching for "ukulele" yet. Story to follow. 😁

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been working on some aspect of the back end of this stuff for just over 40 years, long before there was a world wide web. (Does anybody even use that phrase anymore?) Getting rid of thumbs down has nothing whatsoever to do with "today's world". Online hostility is so easy and reflexive, and the feedback loop explodes far more quickly than positive. It's just an elemental truth that no is always louder than yes.

Online negativity is also so often vicious and baseless, wanton destruction for the "fun" of it. It's not just humanity at its worst. It's making humanity worse. We KNOW this. We know it beyond any shadow of a doubt. We didn't know that in the past, back when the imagined future of connectivity was supposed to be nothing short of heaven on earth. Those of us trying to build that world were idiots. LOL

So now that we know better, it's time to DO better. It's time to BE better.

As I grow ever closer to my last horizon, I think about this all day, every day. It keeps me up at night. I want to do whatever I can to help balance out the karma of all the garbage that the online world I've helped build has dumped on all of us. I'm hopeful that my good intent is somewhere on the cosmic balance sheet, because I don't have enough time left to meaningfully reverse the damage. Minimizing thumbs downs is a miniscule step in the right direction.

And yeah, I think UU is one of the places responsible for spreading good vibrations. I'm thrilled to help contribute to the next stage of its growth, building on the wonderful things that all of you have been doing for so many years. You've led the way, and I'm happy to help clean up the tech for you to keep leading.

(Needless to say, this is me speaking personally, and not in any way on behalf of UU. I thank all of you, as well as UU management for allowing me to be here in both capacities, sometimes switching roles within a single post.)

Honestly, I think YouTube is getting this right. Only SHOW the likes count, and leave the thumbs down button there for people who HAVE to press it -- but you know what? Nobody else needs to know.

It's kinda like flatulence. BAD things will happen if you don't let it out. You HAVE to let it out, we all understand that...but nobody else needs to know about it. Keep it to yourself.

Now if only I could persuade my dog about this. 🤣

Yeah, they serve an actual purpose...but they mostly make me laugh, and I guess that's a good purpose too.

Guess what? Gonna have some more emoji news soon too. ☺️
Actually switched to default just so I could 😍 this post!

I’ve switched back to nice comforting brown now, phew 😅

Actually switched to default just so I could 😍 this post!

I’ve switched back to nice comforting brown now, phew 😅
I've been bouncing back & forth, partly to test differences, and yeah, there is a lot to be said for the comforting brown, lol. But we're working on that to get it to the point when you choose a different theme (if you're so inclined), you don't miss out on anything that any of the other themes offer, other than just a different colour palette. We're getting there...

Top Bottom