Strings Rebel Double Creme Replacement Strings?

magicspeller

Reaction score
I just had a string break on my Rebel Double Creme concert, so I obviously need to find replacement strings. I just did a search and it appears that the original strings (The Rebel Excella?) are not readily available. I have seen Brown Worth, Living Waters, and Uke Logic strings recommended for replacements.

This is my first time replacing strings and I have no experience with any of these brands. Most of my ukes have Aquilla strings so I know pretty much nothing about strings.

How would you describe these brands? How do they compare with each other and with The Rebel strings? Are there others you would recommend?

Rebel strings seem to be clear fluorocarbon. If you want to keep the same tone and feel, stay with clear fluorocarbon strings.
Any brand will get you in the ballpark.
Martin strings are a good start, cheap, good and readily available to most. Use M600 for standard feel. M620 if you'd like more tension.
Worth clear are fantastic too and tend to intonate perfectly. Worth brown will have a bit less sparkle and more of a warm thunk.
Plenty of other good choices out there.

I like the Uke Logics as a replacement on the Rebels. Living Water should be good as well. The Ukulele Site was selling Rebel strings the last time I looked. But they do run out.

TUS/HMS carries Excellas. Worth clears have been suggested in a prior thread. If you're in a pinch for a replacement, I'd get whatever clear fluorocarbons are readily available, m600 ought to be fine...then find a more permanent solution if you don't like those.

Last edited:
My problem is not knowing how Excellas compare. They sound good to me, but I'm far from a good judge. I have two questions:

1. Should I install new Excellas, or are there better options (or ones that I will want to try)?
2. If I were to install alternative strings, what are my choices and how do they compare?

There have been some really helpful suggestions in answer to #2. (Thank you, everyone!) Any thoughts on #1? How good are the Excellas, really?

How good are the Excellas? Well, I really like them a lot. I think they compare well to any of the fluoros out there, and they suit the Rebel build really well. When I was looking for replacement strings for my Double Cheese, I had emailed Rebel about what kind of strings they use. They wrote back that they were their own "brand", and not available outside their country. Things changed, and lo and behold TUS got them in. I was pretty excited about that. By the time I went to order them the Excellas were sold out. I actually never did change the strings on the Rebel. KoAloha strings are another brand that I think would sound good. They're very similar to the Excellas.

Things changed, and lo and behold TUS got them in. I was pretty excited about that. By the time I went to order them the Excellas were sold out. I actually never did change the strings on the Rebel. KoAloha strings are another brand that I think would sound good. They're very similar to the Excellas.
It appears that they have only low-Gs right now. And no KoAloha strings at all. :(

Don't wait too long to decide as you are missing out on playing. The Worth Clear, Living Waters, Uke Logics have received almost universal approval on this forum (I have had all and all have been good) and there is really no way of knowing if you personally prefer one over the other right now. Perhaps just see which is accessible to you in a timely matter and order it.

Try Pop's store: https://ukesahawaii.com/shop/

He sells Koaloha strings.
Thank you! I just ordered a set.

As rainbow21 said, I am missing out on playing my best ukulele (fortunately, I have other lesser ones I can play in the meantime). I called around and our biggest local store has Martin M600 strings. I think I may buy a set of those and install them, then save the KoAloha strings for next time.

I just had a string break on my Rebel Double Creme concert, so I obviously need to find replacement strings. I just did a search and it appears that the original strings (The Rebel Excella?) are not readily available. I have seen Brown Worth, Living Waters, and Uke Logic strings recommended for replacements.

This is my first time replacing strings and I have no experience with any of these brands. Most of my ukes have Aquilla strings so I know pretty much nothing about strings.

How would you describe these brands? How do they compare with each other and with The Rebel strings? Are there others you would recommend?
I like Worth Browns. They look nice, sound nice, and come in double length. Look on YouTube for directions on installing the strings.

Experience, I guess. ;) I keep reading about people changing their strings and improving the sound, and wonder what I'm missing....
Hi Magicspeller, it has been my experience that Martin M600's have a great feel on a concert-scale instrument (not too floppy, not too rigid), assuming you're going with "gCEA" tuning.

What's the difference between Worth Clear and Worth Brown (I just noticed that I called them Brown Worth :rolleyes:🥴)?
From my experience, the Clears have a brighter sound, the Browns are warmer. You can choose among light and medium for either ‘color,’ which will affect the crispness and the depth of the sound.

I am. Just bought a set. Now comes the restringing education....
There are many good youtube videos here. Perhaps someone can recommend a specific one.

My caveat is to do one string at a time. This way you can copy the others and not risk having either the bridge or nut coming loose with all strings removed. It is also a good opportunity to clean/oil the fretboard if necessary.

There are many good youtube videos here. Perhaps someone can recommend a specific one.

My caveat is to do one string at a time. This way you can copy the others and not risk having either the bridge or nut coming loose with all strings removed. It is also a good opportunity to clean/oil the fretboard if necessary.
Good advice from Rainbow there! Also, Magicspeller, be patient in winding the strings "up to pitch"; allow yourself to do it slowly and gradually, and if a string acts like it's struggling to keep going more and more upward in pitch along the way, don't rush it, just give it a rest and come back to it after several minutes.

When I can hear that all four strings are getting close to pitch, but not quite there yet, I'll put the uke down for a few hours and just let it sit; and when I come back to it, the strings tend to be much more willing to go that final distance to their assigned pitches.

But even then, try to remember that they're probably going to slip out of tune (flat) very quickly when first installed, and that this slippage may well continue for a few days. We see so many reviews complaining that uke strings "won't stay in tune", when in fact that's just a normal thing for them to keep going flat when they're first installed. (This is my take; it's certainly possible that there may be varying experiences among our Forum friends.) 😊

P.S. Does your uke feature a tie-bar bridge and friction tuners?

Top Bottom