Recommend a music/laptop stand?

Ziret

Reaction score
I’d like to use my MacBook Air, along with ForScore, for my chord sheets, tabs, etc. and I’d like to bring it to group sessions rather than, or possibly in addition to, my iPad. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good stand that would hold the laptop and possibly my iPad—not necessarily at the same time? I had a stand for my iPad that worked well enough, if not spectacularly, until I was in too much of a rush removing the iPad from its clamp, thus breaking the clamp and rendering the whole thing another piece of plastic and metal waste for the landfill, as I couldn’t order just the clamp. I see them ranging from around $30 on up and there doesn’t seem to be much difference, so if you have experience with such an item, I’d appreciate hearing about it.

Hercules makes the best stands that are sturdy and have useful features. Have a look at their website and see if you find one that does what you want and then search for lowest price.

Hercules makes the best stands that are sturdy and have useful features. Have a look at their website and see if you find one that does what you want and then search for lowest price.
They don’t seem to have what I’m looking for, though they do look like nice stands.

They don’t seem to have what I’m looking for, though they do look like nice stands.
Yeah it seems their approach to tablets etc are holders that you can attach to other stands. I don't use tablet often and just put it on regular music stand if I do.

How about a Manhasset: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M48--manhasset-symphony-stand-single

I use mine mainly for my laptop these days. Simple. Nothing to break. Kinda big and clunky, but it seems like it's going to last forever.
Yes, I was thinking of suggesting a standard Manhasset stand. You just turn the "desk" portion to make it horizontal and it should be solid. As Brad mentioned, they are very sturdy and will probably last longer than any of us!IMG_1024.jpeg

Is this just for home/studio use? Or will you want to take it to gigs or club meetings?

That makes a huge difference for finding the right stand.

Is this just for home/studio use? Or will you want to take it to gigs or club meetings?

Yes, IF you were in a situation where you were concerned about it being bumped and being knocked off, something like this one might be a better choice (although, it could also be knocked over, depending on how rowdy that group is!)

Both. I have a home music stand that I never thought to use that way. I also have a desktop stand that I remembered. The music stand is kind of wobbly when flat, but if that tray thing from Sweetwater can be mounted on the music stand, that would be ideal. Between the three options, I’d be covered.

Thanks, everyone, this was exactly the kind of brainstorming I needed.

if that tray thing from Sweetwater can be mounted on the music stand, that would be ideal. Between the three options, I’d be covered.

How's Sweetwater's return policy? I think you might find that "tray thing" with a laptop might make your stand tippy, center of gravity issue. I have something like that, while it works great for sheet music, anything near 5lb +/- makes the unstable (as in a strong wind caused by people walking nearby might just be enough to tip the stand if things aren't exactly centered).

How's Sweetwater's return policy? I think you might find that "tray thing" with a laptop might make your stand tippy, center of gravity issue. I have something like that, while it works great for sheet music, anything near 5lb +/- makes the unstable (as in a strong wind caused by people walking nearby might just be enough to tip the stand if things aren't exactly centered).
I was wondering the same thing. I think I’ll carry on with what I have.

I've had great luck using my Grifiti Nootle stand with my iPad Pro for exactly the purpose you describe. It won't hold a laptop. But, using the big iPad is so much better anyway. The touch screen is great for ForScore, and editing my sheets using an Apple Pencil is a snap! https://smile.amazon.com/GRIFITI-Universal-Adjustable-Standard-Tablets/dp/B01CZ12EHI/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1OYFCE480IDYK&keywords=grifiti+nootle+large+universal+tablet+tripod+mount&qid=1647053951&sprefix=grifiti+nootle,aps,231&sr=8-3
Thanks, George, but I don’t have an iPad Pro, and don’t anticipate getting one,

Well, that's up to you. I'm just saying that the full size format and touch screen of the iPad Pro make reading, editing, and performing really slick. I've tried using my laptop, and it's very clunky compared to the iPad.
I don’t doubt it a single bit! I envy everyone in my group who has one, I just can’t afford a Pro. I have a regular iPad.

The return policy is stellar. No worries on that front.

I use a regular music stand and position my iPad the way I would a music book. It’s not as compact as a purpose-made tablet holder, but it does give you room to rest accessories (tuner, kazoo, set list, etc.) if you want.

I don’t doubt it a single bit! I envy everyone in my group who has one, I just can’t afford a Pro. I have a regular iPad.
Oh, well the original size iPad works fine too. It's just a smaller format. But, ForScore still displays the entire page on the screen. I take my original size with me in the side pockets of Tenor Uke gig bags, and I take my old Mini iPad with me in the side pockets of Concert Ukes. I even slip the Mini into a Soprano bag under the Uke. I just like using my big iPad here in my music room and around the house. And, it's easier to use for editing. I keep ForScore organized and edited on the big one, and sync the others to it through iCloud.

I use a regular music stand and position my iPad the way I would a music book. It’s not as compact as a purpose-made tablet holder, but it does give you room to rest accessories (tuner, kazoo, set list, etc.) if you want.
I do this at home, but my stand isn’t steady enough that I’d trust it to hold my computer.

Top Bottom