Recommend a U Bass

vcs700s

Reaction score
As a former bass player I am thinking about purchasing a u bass.

Lots of info on YT so I thought I would check with all of you.

Acoustic appeals but solid body is good too.

Any insights or recommendations?

I'm not a fan, myself. They are not easy to play acoustically.

I reckon you'd be better served by a children's steel string bass. Better intonation.

See, for me the problem is physics. Those strings are not easy to get good intonation with.

A lot of luthiers refuse flat out to make one. That should tell you something!

Bass is my primary instrument and the U's are super fun for what they are. I would always go fretless personally, and the upright-ish tone of the acoustic U-basses REALLY works well in the lower register. I would go solid body if you want a fretted as the new ones with the P pickup are a tremendous improvement IMO. Can't beat the price on them for an effective travel bass option. They obv don't work for every band/setting and don't handle things like chords particularly well, but they they're fun and do their niche thing.

That said, I would always play an upright instead of one (unless space was an issue). I would always play a traditional (or even short scale) electric bass instead of one. And I would always play a typical scale acoustic bass guitar in my living room over one. To me the fretless ones are worth the low price tag as a cool novelty with a moderate degree of utility.

I’ve had two Kala U-bass. I had a solid body with the rubber strings and a regular one with steel strings. I got rid of them both and now have a Taylor mini bass guitar. It’s loud enough, acoustically for a small room and sounds great plugged in too.

Uke Underground has a Bass board. Navigate to the main Forums header. It's under Music Related Boards.

There's lots of equipment discussion. And one guy named Kohanmike has been through DOZENS of U-Basses and has a lot to say about them.

Dave

First question is what kind of sound you're after? More of an upright sound? Or electric rock? Something in between? And do you have a scale length preference? Actual U-bass is a bit under 21. Timber is about 21.5. Then there are some 23"-ish options and a some 25" options.

I havent tried an acoustic one but have had a couple of Kala solids and a Goldtone solid. i still have a fretless Kala California and the Magic Fluke Timber, also fretless. My favorite is the Timber but tha may or may not be a good suggestion for you

As a former bass player I am thinking about purchasing a u bass. Lots of info on YT so I thought I would check with all of you. Acoustic appeals but solid body is good too. Any insights or recommendations?
Take a look at the RondoMusic Hadean bass ukes , affordable and built pretty well for the money. I gave up on poly strings and now only play Kala/Galli flatwound nylon core, easy to install, never get sticky and faster to settle in.

Last edited:
First question is what kind of sound you're after? More of an upright sound? Or electric rock? Something in between? And do you have a scale length preference? Actual U-bass is a bit under 21. Timber is about 21.5. Then there are some 23"-ish options and a some 25" options.

I havent tried an acoustic one but have had a couple of Kala solids and a Goldtone solid. i still have a fretless Kala California and the Magic Fluke Timber, also fretless. My favorite is the Timber but tha may or may not be a good suggestion for you
More of an upright sound.

I’ve been researching today and it looks like the Kala Nomad would be a good place to start. $200 and free shipping.

Thoughts on a battery powered amp for my cave?

I’ve been researching today and it looks like the Kala Nomad would be a good place to start. $200 and free shipping.

Sounds good. I'd recommend getting the black Pahoehoe strings or Thunderbrowns

G'morning Vic,

Just a thought. I'd like to sell a bass that I've had since late last year.
I purchased a Kala UBASS- model Bakkthi Kumalo. I was, like you, trying to decide whether to try the bass and this was my choice. I didn't "bind" with it. I tried different strings (it comes with really nice round wounds). First some Thunder Browns, and finally the Galli (Kala Branded) flat wounds. I really liked the Flatwounds but still didn't connect with the instrument.

A friend suggested trying a fretless, and I purchased a Kala Fretless and love it. As a result, the Kumalo has been sitting quietly in its case, waiting for me to put it up on MarketPlace !!! Anyhow, I'd sell it to you for the $200 plus shipping and include all three sets of strings. Strings alone are worth over $100. I purchased it new from Uke Republic which did a proper setup.

Send me a "private conversation" message if you're interested. (Include you Zip Code and I'll calc. the shipping.)
I'll have pics with the traditional UUForum ID photo.

In the meantime, here's a link to the Kala offering:

Last edited:
I liked the Gold Tone. But my band needed me on guitar more at that time. The intonation was fine. Close enough for most folks.

I may get another one as our bass player moved on.

Hello Vic,
About a year ago I started to dip my toes into the bass waters. Haven't managed to stay with it but I went with the Kala Journeyman. Built for steel strings. Came with wound strings but I replaced them with the flatwounds available through the Kala site. Love the sound and the smooth surface. To my limited ear it sounds a lot like an upright. Not cheap, but the results were worth the gamble. Hope this is helpful.
Pete in Maine
P.S.
Thanks for your reviews on YT.

I built a cigar box Ubass from a kit that included the neck, bridge saddle, pickup, machine heads, and a built in tuner. I can't tell you how great it plays and sounds using Kala round wounds. If you want to hear studio recordings you can check out my YouTube (not a plug for clicks!). The biggest drawback is the input that shorts out, very annoying so I have to tape down the cord when recording. But it sounds awesome unplugged with the roundwounds, too. Those rubbery strings? Ew... Very odd. The Ubass is NOT a bass guitar, though. It's a contrabass ukulele with the same limitations that a uke has compared to a bass guitar. I can't play a bass guitar. Small hands and multiple surgeries, arthritis, etc., but I can play this. It's good enough for what I'm doing. If I got into it, I would probably look into a Kala Ubass. They've been at it a while now.

G'morning Vic,

Just a thought. I'd like to sell a bass that I've had since late last year.
I purchased a Kala UBASS- model Bakkthi Kumalo. I was, like you, trying to decide whether to try the bass and this was my choice. I didn't "bind" with it. I tried different strings (it comes with really nice round wounds). First some Thunder Browns, and finally the Galli (Kala Branded) flat wounds. I really liked the Flatwounds but still didn't connect with the instrument.

A friend suggested trying a fretless, and I purchased a Kala Fretless and love it. As a result, the Kumalo has been sitting quietly in its case, waiting for me to put it up on MarketPlace !!! Anyhow, I'd sell it to you for the $200 plus shipping and include all three sets of strings. Strings alone are worth over $100. I purchased it new from Uke Republic which did a proper setup.

Send me a "private conversation" message if you're interested. (Include you Zip Code and I'll calc. the shipping.)
I'll have pics with the traditional UUForum ID photo.

In the meantime, here's a link to the Kala offering:
Which Kala fretless did you purchase?

Top Bottom