Removing (Not Friction) Peghead Tuners

bilbo56

Reaction score
I'm about to replace friction peghead tuners with a set of Gotoh planetaries. I've done my research, watched videos, gathered the proper parts, tools, etc.
Everything I've looked at starts with remove the friction tuners, then goes into great detail about installing the UPTLs.

My question is how to remove the old friction tuners. Do they just push out? Tap with a hammer? Just fall out.
Thanks, and any other tips appreciated.F

Last edited:
Generally, just undo the screw on the back and disassemble them. The parts should come out easily

I'm about to replace friction tuners with a set of Gotoh planetaries. I've done my research, watched videos, gathered the proper parts, tools, etc.
Everything I've looked at starts with remove the friction tuners, then goes into great detail about installing the UPTLs.

My question is how to remove the old friction tuners. Do they just push out? Tap with a hammer? Just fall out.
Thanks, and any other tips appreciated.
I almost posted the exact same question on Saturday before I decided to try the screws:)

Later I realized that this video shows how to take out the friction tuners first.

Good luck!

I did what watch that video. My issue is no screws on the back of the buttons. I'll try to figure it out after I take the strings off.IMG_1289.JPG.

Okay thanks. That explains it. Thanks for the link.
And now I understand why I had so much trouble adjusting them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom