Done! Requirement to post photo with name, date, and UU.

A suggestion that has been implemented and is available

Bibs

Reaction score
There have been more for sale posts than reasonable missing the 'proof of possession' photo since it was reinstated. It may help if folks were reminded of this requirement [and any others?] on the same page where the initial post is made [price, location, shipping, etc].

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
There have been more for sale posts than reasonable missing the 'proof of possession' photo since it was reinstated. It may help if folks were reminded of this requirement [and any others?] on the same page where the initial post is made [price, location, shipping, etc].
Agree!

Rules are rules. No proof of possession photo...no ad for you...deleted! It ain't that hard. End of story.

Sure, but the object of the game isn't to find more listings to delete. It's to get people to understand and meet expectations for a legit offering.

If they're failing this consistently, then it's a problem to solve before the post goes live. That's why I'm noodling on how to make sure they KNOW that expectation.

If I do a better job of setting that expectation, then sure, I'll be fast on the "delete" trigger for sure.

in the meantime, it would help a LOT if folks would report these posts. I haven't seen a report come through in weeks, and I really rely on those. One click, and I'll be on these posts ASAP!

But we've clearly fallen short in the design of that door, or we wouldn't be so regularly seeing threads fail that requirement, so I'm actively noodling on that as we speak.

One thing we'd done for a short while was moderate every new thread in the Marketplace before it went up. Would you like us to go back to that? Easy enough!

More broadly, though, are you good people feeling like these posts are scammy/spammy, it just falling short of the rules? Your insights here will help me calibrate the scale of the response.

Thanks so much! Keep it coming!

Okay, I've sent PMs to the folks who've listed these 5 instruments without the required name and date photo, but I have some more questions for you all:

-- I've left the threads open, so that the sellers can add the photos themselves.

That's because if I lock the thread, they'd need to send me the photo to post, which I certainly can, but I, in my not exactly convenient time zone, become the logjam. I'm 6 hours behind Eastern time, 10 hours behind GMT, so it could be a while.

Which would you prefer? Me locking the threads, or leaving them open for OPs to fix?

-- Since I'm leaving the threads open, I'm also adding an admin note that I'll remove later. If you don't see that admin note on a sale offering with no proof of possession photo, assume that we haven't seen it, and please report it!

----edit: I added the note, mostly so that people would know that a report had been made, and to give the OP another way of getting the message, but it felt kinda heavy handed. I'm so open to ideas of how you'd like us to handle this kind of thing in there future!

None of this is a substitute for me coming up with a more direct listing page, but it all needs doing of course. 🙂

Suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I saw the notice on one and really liked it.

Maybe adding a 24 hour correction time warning before removal of the post?

I saw the notice on one and really liked it.

Maybe adding a 24 hour correction time warning before removal of the post?
We also have a way to "hide" a post such that if the person corrects the infraction subsequently, we can reboot the post so that they don't have to restart from scratch.

I think the threads should be left open for each OP to fix … unless the listing is such an obvious scam attempt that it ought to be shut down pending better bona fides.

Cool! I'll keep doing that.

re: bona fides, one thing that jumped out to me is that all 5 reported listings I dealt with last night, and 2 more that Amie did this morning, are almost all from people with hundreds of posts, and multiple sales. In fact, one of the ukes was SOLD in the time between my notice to them and before they added the photo, and another has a sale pending, also before the ID photo is uploaded.

So I get that it's a rule that the Marketplacers asked to have put in place, and it doesn't appear that we have had any scammers at all since the 10-post minimum was put in place...but it still felt a little odd to see these ukes selling after they were reported for lack of ID photo, and before the photo was uploaded.

Anyway, I'll have some changes made to the listing page in the next few days, and we'll take it from there.

Is this the same as;

I tend to think that this is not an issue for anyone who has been a member for a long time. There are many regular sellers and posters here who I would not hesitate buying from, ID pic or not. At the same time, I could see where it would be difficult to determine who needs the pic and not have it seem like some type of favoritism.

Is this the same as;

More of a follow-up. That one was to establish the requirement on the Rules page. This one is how to get people who haven't read the rules to know about the requirement..🙂

In the most recent round of sales, we had people who'd been here for years and made multiple sales before the rule was in place, who had no reason to review the rules, and were then listing instruments for sale without the required ID photo.

I'm drafting some ways to get this information on the page where you build the listing. I'll skip the nerdery for once and summarize by saying that I'm finding it trickier than expected. 🙂 I still hope to have something in the next few days.....

Tim, on the Marketplace page where you would post a new thread (to sell), there is a menu whereby you go through a few boxes to fill out (location, price...). At the end is a checkbox asking if you would like to follow the thread.

Can a checkbox be added asking if they have read the revised rules requiring a name/date card photograph?

Reactions: EDW
Tim, on the Marketplace page where you would post a new thread (to sell), there is a menu whereby you go through a few boxes to fill out (location, price...). At the end is a checkbox asking if you would like to follow the thread.

Can a checkbox be added asking if they have read the revised rules requiring a name/date card photograph?
@TimWilson great suggestion, thanks rainbow21! I'm sure Tim is looking into all sorts of options, lol, and if he says that it's "trickier" than anticipated, that means it's downright convoluted. This might be a simple solution, or it might be a rat's nest, but it's a great idea to investigate, thank you :)

Top Bottom