Risa Solid Uke fret edges

Kitters

Reaction score
Just noticed that the dry winter air has done something to my Risa solid concert. The fret edges feel sharp and stick out. I haven't used a humidifier since it's an electric uke and I mostly keep it out of the gigbag anyway since I play it very often. Is there anything I can do about it? I'd hate to try to file the frets down since wouldn't that ruin the finish? As you might know there's no protective strip to cover the edges of the frets but the uke is made of stained maple and has a satin finish. I can still play my ukulele but the sharp edges annoy me.

I just had to file down the fretwire edges on my eleuke. The lack of humidity took its toll. I used a very small triangular file, and was very careful not to mar the wood. It took about 30 minutes to make everything nice and smooth.

This is just the kind of work I would have professionally done. I love my ukuleles too much to allow an amature to take a file to them. This work can be done very easily and inexpensively.

Thank you for your replies. I would feel happier to have this done by a professional. Now the only problem is where to find one where I live...

Thought I'd give an update on the situation. Some extra humidity did the trick - winter went, summer came and the frets are pretty much back to normal. :)

Thought I'd give an update on the situation. Some extra humidity did the trick - winter went, summer came and the frets are pretty much back to normal. :)

You read my mind, Kitters. Glad it worked for you.

Top Bottom