New Uke Day (NUD) Romero Creations 6 String Baritone

about2

Reaction score
I noted in another post about this instrument - but promised more info so here is the scoop......

A few weeks ago my wife and I added a new family member - a Romero Creations 6 String Baritone tuned E to E. Some would call this a tiny guitar - and I concur with that name. It's solid spalted mango. We both plan on playing it and as such consider it a family heirloom. Pepe not only set it up but it was one of his personal instruments for a time and as such, autographed it.

First, allow me to note that the pictures don't do it justice. The guy is stunning and flawless in its looks. But what sold us on the purchase was its tone. We had a chance to play three RC 6 stringers. One, like this one, was traditionally shaped, and the other was shaped like a tiny tenor. All three were very, very nice. But the sustain, resonance, bell-like tone, and overtones on this one are truly outstanding. And its intonation, as you would expect from a RC, is perfect. It's the best instrument I've ever played and we feel very fortunate to be the owners. As my wife heard it for the first time, its sweet tone actually brought tears to her eyes. Years ago she owned a precious expensive vintage Gibson guitar that was stolen. She had been looking for one that rivaled it - this guy checked all her boxes.

This instrument also checked all my boxes. I wanted a 6 stringer small enough to travel that maintained a high quality of sound. This one does that. It's scale length is so very comfortable making my transition to E to E easier.

So I'm branching from 4 strings to 6....and having a ball! I have much to learn but am blessed to have such an instrument to play.

If you ever get a chance to play one of Pepe's 6 stringers, make sure you take it for a spin. You won't be disappointed.

Attachments

• IMG_2552.jpeg
    IMG_2552.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2551.jpeg
    IMG_2551.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2550.jpeg
    IMG_2550.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2549.jpeg
    IMG_2549.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2548.jpeg
    IMG_2548.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 41
Congratulations! It’s wonderful to see someone find a special instrument that blesses them!

How beautiful! Sorry for the loss of your wife’s Gibson, which I’m sure must have felt like an extension of her very self. Hope this one fills the void!

What a find, congratulations! I love my two 6 stringers!
Curious, what is the nut width and vsl on these PR's?

Oh my gosh the RC 6 string mango is a dream instrument of mine! I'm simply in awe of how beautiful yours in particular is. Definitely heirloom worthy on looks alone, but no doubt it sounds just as good. Such a fantastic find.

Congrats, Randy! What is the scale length? Whenever I go back to playing one of my standard-tuned guitars, I find that the string spacing, as well as the longer scale length, sometimes feels uncomfortable. And that's where I started, many years ago, and what I played for decades. I guess I'm just hooked on baritones now. Anyway, enjoy those lower two strings! I miss them sometimes.

CONGRATS!!!
Im loving the wood, it's a stunner!

Congrats, Randy! What is the scale length? Whenever I go back to playing one of my standard-tuned guitars, I find that the string spacing, as well as the longer scale length, sometimes feels uncomfortable. And that's where I started, many years ago, and what I played for decades. I guess I'm just hooked on baritones now. Anyway, enjoy those lower two strings! I miss them sometimes.
Thanks Jerry. It has a 21 inch scale. I've got a learning curve in front of me as I've never played guitar, but I'm having loads of fun!

My B6 is 20 in scale. 12 fret to body. And the DHo6 is 21 in scale. 14 fret to body. The B6 feels more compact when you play it . The DHo6 has more fret room being 14 fret to body And feels ’longer’

My B6 is 20 in scale. 12 fret to body. And the DHo6 is 21 in scale. 14 fret to body. The B6 feels more compact when you play it . The DHo6 has more fret room being 14 fret to body And feels ’longer’
Really interesting. Wonder if he changed the scale length on the B6. Makes me want to measure mine. I know it too is 12 frets to the body and it fit in a baritone case. It came with a nice gig bag, but I tried it in my crossrock fiberglass case and it’s tight, but fits. Before purchasing, I was able to compare it to a dHo6. I thought the Dho6 had a little more bass. But it was very close.

That's beautiful. I am so glad you found such a special Instrument to start for 6 string journey. Congratulations and I am sure you and your wife will enjoy it for many years to come

I'm confused. Isn't this a guitar?
Yes. However they don’t call it that. They call it a 6 string baritone. My guess is that’s because they want to underline its portability. Or maybe it’s because Daniel Ho is an artist with Yamaha guitars. Although this instrument doesn’t have his name on it. Or maybe they wanted to illustrate it could be tuned differently. Or maybe it’s because they thought it would market better this way. Hmmmmmm…….I confess I don’t know. I just like the way it sounds.

I'm with @baconsalad . If it's got six courses, E to E, and is tuned like a guitar, it's a guitar, no matter what it's named or how it's marketed.

Same with a guitalele. Even if it's tuned A to A, it's still just a mini guitar, and not a ukulele.

Also, and more people may disagree with me here, a u-bass is a bass, not a ukulele.

YMMV.

Top Bottom