Romero Creations price variance - are/were they a budget-brand?

baconsalad

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
There are some things I noticed right away looking at Romero Creations ukes. 1) they are typically out of stock 2) the out-of stock SKUs and used listings for Romeros on sweetwater go as low as <$300 range. 3) in-stock units are $1000 range.

Are new models that much better quality-wise? or is it simply supply/demand that has seemingly doubled the price of these things? or were these things very under-priced before?

1682437258737.png
1682437399878.png

1682437454506.png

Romero Creations used to make some all-laminate and part-laminate models that were much cheaper than their solid wood models. I believe all the laminate models were discontinued a few years ago. The laminate models were good student/beginner ukuleles, but I suppose that is not a market that interests Romero Creations any more.

Romero Creations used to make some all-laminate and part-laminate models that were much cheaper than their solid wood models. I believe all the laminate models were discontinued a few years ago. The laminate models were good student/beginner ukuleles, but I suppose that is not a market that interests Romero Creations any more.
I suspect it was an attempt to draw the budget conscious to Romero Creations as an entry uke; draw the eye with an inexpensive model then "drop their jaw" with the really beautiful higher quality ukes.

Further to the previous answers, the budget models were made in China, whereas the standard models are made in Vietnam. I had a spruce top XS Soprano which was a very decent instrument, but when the opportunity to buy a secondhand solid mango version arose I jumped at it and sold the spruce/laminate. Huge difference. The finish, balance, tone and playability of the Vietnam-made instruments are a definite step up, but of course that comes at a price.

As somebody who only has like 2 years of uke brand knowledge Romero has always seemed mid to high end

Here's an old thread saying the made-in-China laminate Romeros were discontinued in 2019. I think pricing on those was around $170 for all-laminate models up to around $300 for solid-spruce-top laminate-back models. Apparently they were having quality control issues that they couldn't solve without raising prices enough that they would be unattractive compared to their solid wood ukuleles. I have one of the spruce-top STC models that I think sounds and plays great for the price, though it is noticeably heavier than my solid wood concert ukulele.

Pepe's work is super imho. I own one of his laminate versions ST concerts. I have it strung with Baby Bari strings and use it as a travel uke. If you are interested in a Pepe, I recommend you look at Starlight Ukes. They havye some beautiful models there. As they are located within 15 min. of my home, I was able to play several of them. In the past, I've owned a replica, grand tenor and tiny tenor. All three were great instruments. Some of the ones I wish I hadn't let get away . . . but I can only play one at a time.

Top Bottom