New Uke Day (NUD) Romero Creations XS Soprano (Spruce/Koa)

baconsalad

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Romero Creations XS Soprano in Spruce and Koa. It's a made in Vietnam model so I think it's all solid.
So way back here... https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...soprano-no-longer-looking.155218/post-2347505 this unit at Bytown Music in Canada came up for discussion and it was unclear if it was a good deal or not for a slightly dinged unit. It was mentioned american sites (at the time) were selling perfectly new units for less. Well yeah, Canadians do the polite thing and pay double. As someone who's very experienced with bad deals I thought, why not? It was $470 USD. I've seen listings for the XS range from <$300 to >$1000 Don't know if this was a good price but it's shiny and it plays and feels nice and makes me happy. I've been really good containing my UAS for a while too. It certainly looks/feels and sounds closer to a $1000 uke than a $300 uke.

Here's the ding/repair (i can't feel it):
1682455639881.png

Otherwise it's really nice - except it screams for Gotoh UPTs. Ordered.
1682455856996.png

Not too too fancy so likely solid
1682455910296.png

How to make an HF-1 look big:

1682455986933.png

How much volume do you get out of that little ukulele? Can you be heard when playing in a group?

Good for you for snagging that, saved me some money as I have been looking at that on and off. They seem like a really fun instrument and someone I know has one and really likes it. Congratulations and enjoy it.

How much volume do you get out of that little ukulele? Can you be heard when playing in a group?
About as loud as an Enya Nova soprano. You would have to play hard to he heard. But if you were in the mood to play hard but with polite volume, this is the cat's whiskers. The <gasp> low G really kills the total volume. Like the nova you can practice 'enthusiastic' things and not punish your ears too bad when you screw up. 😁

I agree that it looks to be the all solid model. I think the laminate models didn't have the inlaid logo on the headstock. For the tops, you should also be able to look at the inside edge of the sound hole to see if the wood grain is continuous or if it's made of multiple pieces... not so easy on the back and sides unless you have a side sound port.

Congrats on finding a uke that makes you happy!!

Congrats on your XS. It's cute and makes good music. Romero Creations makes very good instruments. You scored a uke that has a cosmetic flaw but doesn't affect the sound or playability.

It makes you happy—and that's what counts.

LOL. I enjoyed your comments about doing the polite thing and being experienced with bad deals.

If it feels good to play and makes you happy, it was definitely a good deal.
Enjoy it!

Well yeah, Canadians do the polite thing and pay double. As someone who's very experienced with bad deals I thought, why not?
I almost snorted my hot chocolate & marshmallows when I read this (I'll have to remember to not drink & drive UU forum threads).

Priceless.

Go Canucks!

Nice looking uke! With that all black headstock, it is one one those ukes where graphtech tuners might look decent if UPTs are a bit expensive and/or you dont have a reamer.

Nice looking uke! With that all black headstock, it is one one those ukes where graphtech tuners might look decent if UPTs are a bit expensive and/or you dont have a reamer.
They do look fabulous with UPTs, though…

IMG_4513.jpegIMG_4514.jpeg

It's strange that both Graphtech and one of the designers of the Gotoh UPT (Japarts.ca) are both in the Vancouver Canada region.

Like the nova you can practice 'enthusiastic' things and not punish your ears too bad when you screw up. 😁
What is that saying...go big or go home?

Let everyone hear those mistakes! 😁

Do they contact your fretting hand less, or just in a different place?
Less in my case, probably because I'm not really used to having side-facing pegs so my style (such as it is) has developed with that in mind. Not an enormous difference, since the tuners it came with were quite compact anyway, but I prefer the gear ratio on UPTs.

Less in my case, probably because I'm not really used to having side-facing pegs so my style (such as it is) has developed with that in mind. Not an enormous difference, since the tuners it came with were quite compact anyway, but I prefer the gear ratio on UPTs.
++1 Less in my case, as well. I chose to change to the UPT's for exactly that reason. With the 'ears' on the stock model I found that playing an E7 ( 1 2 0 2 ) cause my wrist to contact the A-tuner... just plain annoying. The tuner location on the STC's are 3-5 mm closer that on some of my other ukes and changing to UPT made more comfortable. For me, looks better, too.

Top Bottom