Romero guitalele vs KoAloha guitalele

Hanzalot

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking to get either a Romero Creations Baritone 6 (nylon - and not the tiny tenor-shaped one) or a KoAloha Opio guitalele and I wanted to ask if anyone could enlighten me on the differences between the two?

I know the Romero has a longer scale, but am curious to know what it means with regards to volume and possible tunings. And I'm just generally curious about playability, possible tunings and whatever else might be relevant. Would be amazing if someone has had a chance to play both.

*Edit: If anyone has one of these for sale, it would be great if you will send me a message.

Thanks,
Hans

Last edited:
Here are some old TUS postings for each. The KoAloha is a tenor size and the RC is baritone, so there will be a difference in tone, fullness, feel, etc. I owned a B6 before and loved it. There are string sets to tune E to E or G to G, I believe. I tried tuning A to A and couldn't get it to work well... I didn't experiment too far with other string sets, but I'm sure it's possible with some more exploration.

The KoAloha is tuned A to A, but I'm sure it could be tuned down... but I'm also sure you'd be on the floppy side and lose the real intended oopmh.

The fuller sound would definitely come from the B6. The KoAloha gets you better portability and guaranteed A to A tuning. There are definitely more YT vids from HMS.

If you have the funds, there was a Pepe Romero guilele that he built himself in the Marketplace that is really top of the line for guileles. They sound ridiculously good!!!! I mean, it's a mini custom classical guitar really.

Ok.. found the listing and it's quite a step up in price 😅

Thanks for your reply lanzon - that's what I would think as well. And yes, unfortunately, the pepe build is way out of my reach :)

What was your impression of the volume of the B6?

I owned a B6 and the volume was excellent. As Lauzon said the B6 is baritone scale the Koaloha is tenor scale so they are different animals in so far as tuning goes. I have a Yamaha tenor scale guilele and even with the heaviest classical guitar set of string E - E tuning sounded like crap, very dull and flat especially from the 6th and 5th strings. Even the Pepe B6 at approximately 20" scale length is a little short for proper string tension at E - E on the 6th and 5th strings

I had a B6 for a while; I thought it sounded surprisingly good. Much bigger sound than I thought it would have. The only thing I didn't like about it (and why I eventually parted with it) was that it was a 12 fret. I personally prefer a 14 fret join for ease of playing up the neck.

I have a mango B6
nice sound, would consider selling
Ron
do it, @Hanzalot !! :sneaky: I'm sure the mango adds some nice sweetness. If it helps, there's an interview with Pepe and Andrew Molina where he talks about mango being a great wood for production models...

Thanks for the info, everyone. No doubt they're both great instruments. And nice video - easy to be fascinated by mango when hearing talk about it! 😀

Last edited:
If you play up the neck I would say take the B6 any day. Sustain is really good.

If you play up the neck I would say take the B6 any day. Sustain is really good.
Do you have to hold it free from your body to get decent volume? This was mentioned in the review by Peter Frary.

Do you have to hold it free from your body to get decent volume? This was mentioned in the review by Peter Frary.
Compared to a tenor that has a much smaller body the B6 has much more volume and sustain no matter how you hold it.

Compared to a tenor that has a much smaller body the B6 has much more volume and sustain no matter how you hold it.
Yeah, that makes sense of course. The Romero tenors I have tried always frustrated me a little bit because I knew I didn't get their best sound when holding them against my body...
Thanks.

Top Bottom