Sandwiches, how do you make 'em?

I'm getting used to it. Between using coffee grounds like snuff, and taking nodoze pills to the difference between polenta and grits, I see no reason we don't state our preference of Ice Creams. Hey, Ice cream sandwiches!!!
Now, there’s a hijacking I can support! Ice cream sandwiches were my favorite thing about the elementary school I attended. Public schools in our area had no bulk food suppliers back then and our little school actually had a staff trained dietitian who happened to be the principal’s wife. She was a big believer in desserts and her kitchen staff made tasty main course dishes that were “gourmet” level if judged by today’s standards.

I think this thing I make could be considered a sandwich:
Make rice, add sushi zu, place on a half sheet of seaweed, add broiled salmon and sesame seeds, fold into a packet.

This is great! Tried it yesterday using full sheets of nori seaweed, sliced in half (or not) before serving. Finger food and much less fuss than sushi pieces. This is a new favourite for picnic coolers.

Baguette sandwiches:

Baguette style is a family favourite for food on the go. The pocket means less chance of having to comfort a child (or adult) whose sandwich fell apart or dropped its filling.

The first version was for skiing picnics. Our german buddies showed us how to assemble sandwiches trail side trail side from buns, deli cuts, cheese, veg, dressing. Washed down with thermoses of hot chocolate and gluhwein.

Then came quick tourist (busy busy busy gotta keep moving) lunches at bakeries and charcuteries in France and Switzerland. Followed by relaxed and wonderful table d’hôte at days end.

A few encounters with Super Bowl six foot dogwood sandwiches.

Many Subway Sandwiches as our fast food of choice. Fresh foot long honey oat baguettes, fresh cooked chicken or meatballs, lots of vegetables.

And yummy Vietnamese baguette sandwiches. First as basic street food, and then fancier versions on the menu in little cafes alongside pho soup and traditional dishes.

(I'll just quietly monitor this thread until it eventually evolves into discussing onigiri - which I believe it will!)
I hope so! My favorite onigiri has chevre on the inside and nori and furekake on the outside. Starts with very good rice, cooked right, of course. Completely untraditional, I realize, but delicious. I’d love to hear yours.

I hope so! My favorite onigiri has chevre on the inside and nori and furekake on the outside. Starts with very good rice, cooked right, of course. Completely untraditional, I realize, but delicious. I’d love to hear yours.
So true on the rice! It's hard to find onigiri that I don't like but no question my favorite is spicy tuna. I truly think I could eat that every day!

There's a place in my home town that has an Italian neighborhood, where you can get a "hot salami" sandwich, not the hard salami slices from the grocery store, and not spicy hot. But a soft, thick sliced house-made salami that is served to you warm on a soft italian hoagie type bread with provolone cheese. I haven't had one since before the pandini but man those are so good. I need to find a friend and meet there for lunch!

There's a place in my home town that has an Italian neighborhood, where you can get a "hot salami" sandwich, not the hard salami slices from the grocery store, and not spicy hot. But a soft, thick sliced house-made salami that is served to you warm on a soft italian hoagie type bread with provolone cheese. I haven't had one since before the pandini but man those are so good. I need to find a friend and meet there for lunch!
Hey, JEngle, is a “pandini” a small pandemic? :)

Hey, JEngle, is a “pandini” a small pandemic? :)
I think it's just an alternative word that is made up and sounds funny..... so you can mention the pandemic in passing without really triggering people. I picked it up from this troupe of comedians in Victoria BC called "Loading Ready Run" so it may also just be their invention, or might be a Canadian thing?

Top Bottom