SAS (Skills Acquisition Syndrome) Chat - *Everyone* Welcome!

I have accomplished a small task. I made some wooden 3-hole guitar blocks. One broke so I devised a way to make ties from a short, 1/2", piece of heavy weed wacker [1/8"] cord.
1-Tie a clove hitch on a 1", or longer, piece of cord, pull it tight.
2- Cut the cord, with the knot, to ~ 1/2".
3-Cut the tail of the string to about 1/4"/3/8" and insert in back into the anchor hole with the main length of the string as you seat it against the bridge.
4- Tune string.
This has held for a couple of weeks now. It is neat and no loose ends.
Why did I do it? Wanted to try something different.

Attachments

• 1717969429459.png
    1717969429459.png
    173.4 KB · Views: 10
I have accomplished a small task. I made some wooden 3-hole guitar blocks. One broke so I devised a way to make ties from a short, 1/2", piece of heavy weed wacker [1/8"] cord.
1-Tie a clove hitch on a 1", or longer, piece of cord, pull it tight.
2- Cut the cord, with the knot, to ~ 1/2".
3-Cut the tail of the string to about 1/4"/3/8" and insert in back into the anchor hole with the main length of the string as you seat it against the bridge.
4- Tune string.
This has held for a couple of weeks now. It is neat and no loose ends.
Why did I do it? Wanted to try something different.
That’s really clever! I’m going to try something like that with my pull through bridge next time I string it.

I stopped using syndrome, I now say passion.

Status update from me: Em to Dm is better 🎉🎉🎉. Switching over to C chord with first finger change to F variant with that same C added (4th finger). That’s really close to the Dm7 chord (just one finger missing again), so coming at the same general chord shape from a different direction, and also improving one of the key chord changes in the new Daniel Ward arpeggio meditation I’m working on.

Quick update on my 180º flip challenge:

Fretting notes without endangering the nails on my primary stroking hand was nigh impossible, but I was met with limited success after adopting a slack key tuning.

Coincidentally, I broke a couple of nails at an impromptu performance last night, so I cut off the remainder and will begin working on the challenge anew, this time sans nails. I expect I'll be more successful this time around (at least until I regrow my nails).

Quick update on my 180º flip challenge:

Fretting notes without endangering the nails on my primary stroking hand was nigh impossible, but I was met with limited success after adopting a slack key tuning.

Coincidentally, I broke a couple of nails at an impromptu performance last night, so I cut off the remainder and will begin working on the challenge anew, this time sans nails. I expect I'll be more successful this time around (at least until I regrow my nails).
Yikes, I didn’t think about nails! I could have come up with some other “reversal” challenge! However since you have already broken the nails, carry on 😆

Why did slack key tuning help - because it’s more symmetrical?

Update from me: I feel like I'm very close with Island Style. My main issue is where the strum pattern varies then switching back to island strum. I have absolutely no problems with this when the switch back also happens with a child change transitioning from the verse to the chorus but when staying on the same chord I struggle with the shift and timing of the lyrics. I play to practice by playing along with videos until the strumming is second nature and the singing is haunting me in my sleep ;) I have significantly improved with no longer doing my chord change from C to G7 too early in the verse. I know the rest will just click, very soon.

Been working on that one more than Lava, so I am modifying my weekly plan to only be Island Style and will leave Lava for later.

Update from me: I feel like I'm very close with Island Style. My main issue is where the strum pattern varies then switching back to island strum. I have absolutely no problems with this when the switch back also happens with a child change transitioning from the verse to the chorus but when staying on the same chord I struggle with the shift and timing of the lyrics. I play to practice by playing along with videos until the strumming is second nature and the singing is haunting me in my sleep ;) I have significantly improved with no longer doing my chord change from C to G7 too early in the verse. I know the rest will just click, very soon.

Been working on that one more than Lava, so I am modifying my weekly plan to only be Island Style and will leave Lava for later.
One song at a time sounds very wise if you’re trying to turn them into earwyrms! Sounds like some pieces are already falling into place, yay you 🎉

Excellent 😁. Pick a few bars of a piece you know well. Play it on each of your ukes and make it as different as possible, taking your cues from the instrument’s personality.
Update: on travel so I only have a KoAloha concert and an Oli tenor. I played 4 bars from see of love - more traditional island strum on the KoAloha and rocked out with some chuck strums on the oli - honestly didn’t sound at all a like. What’s next?

Update: on travel so I only have a KoAloha concert and an Oli tenor. I played 4 bars from see of love - more traditional island strum on the KoAloha and rocked out with some chuck strums on the oli - honestly didn’t sound at all a like. What’s next?
If you could only play that song on one uke forever, which would it be?

And are you asking for another challenge? 😁

Wide open possibilities 😁
Actually, call me crazy / lacking sufficient objectivity but the more I’ve listened to my CHFIL cover, the better I’ve liked it.
Open to critique, e.g. the “Like a river” part should be island- strummed, etc.
Please (anyone) tell me what you think I should change. :giggle:

What a beautiful piece! I can’t tell which part is the “stretchy” bit, so clearly you’re getting there nicely 😊
1718250478004.png

Stretchy bits marked (A#m according to ukebuddy... my theory is crap, but wouldn't that be more likely Bb?)

I'm also working on not muting my second string when the 01X2 transitions to the Bb on the first string, which I do by flattening the first segment of my first finger (i.e. keeping the right amount of pressure on the first fret of the second string while I flatten that finger onto the first fret of the first string). It seems to like to mute the second string when I do that, so I'm practicing that with more attention, too.

View attachment 175854

Stretchy bits marked (A#m according to ukebuddy... my theory is crap, but wouldn't that be more likely Bb?)

I'm also working on not muting my second string when the 01X2 transitions to the Bb on the first string, which I do by flattening the first segment of my first finger (i.e. keeping the right amount of pressure on the first fret of the second string while I flatten that finger onto the first fret of the first string). It seems to like to mute the second string when I do that, so I'm practicing that with more attention, too.
That’s very pretty hieroglyphics, lol. Kudos to you for learning how to read it!

It’s so funny - violin was always the problem of playing extra strings. On uke, they mute when we want them to sound 🤪

Top Bottom