Season 538 Of The Ukulele - It’s About Tim…

lizbrinker

Reaction score
…O’Brien

Howdy, Seasonistas, from Away Out On The Mountain! This week I’m asking for songs written by, covered by or played by West Virginia bred Tim O’Brien, a Grammy-winning American singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist. I am a fan and have covered many of his songs on the seasons. He has a large body of work: albums with the group Hot Rize, others with his sister, Mollie O’Brien, as well as 22 solo albums full of gems. Please include in your post the album title from which the song came. If you look around a little, you will find that in addition to original work, he has covered a broad range of traditional folk tunes, fiddle tunes, sea-faring songs, as well as artists as broad-ranging as Bob Dylan (the entire album Red On Blonde), Gordon Lightfoot, The Beatles, and James Brown.
https://timobrien.net/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_O'Brien_(musician)

If you like to write original songs, please use his solo album titles as prompts:

Guess Who’s In Town
Hard Year Blues
Odd Man In
Oh Boy O’Boy
Rock In My Shoe
Red On Blonde
When No One’s Around
The Crossing
Two Journeys
Traveler
Fiddler’s Green
Cornbread Nation
Chameleon
Chicken & Egg
Pompadour
Where The River Meets The Road
He Walked On

This week’s rules:
List the season name and number in your YouTube recording.
Ukulele visible/audible (we like to see what your hands are doing, please).
Postings begin after midnight tonight Hawaii time and end at midnight Hawaii time next Sunday, June 12..
No song limit.
Collaborations, multi-tracking, originals all welcome.
Please invite someone or check in on someone we haven’t seen in a while…
Listen and comment, you won’t be sorry!
Ila’s season is still in play, so let it all out there.

I will send a copy of my favorite of Tim O’Brien’s many albums to this week’s winner, format of his or her choosing.

Here is one to start us off, from his 2005 album, Fiddler’s Green:

Pretty Fair Maid In The Garden
Traditional, author unknown

PLAYLIST

Liz,

What a great idea! Hot Rize is the best progressive bluegrass ensemble around. Tim is fantastic!

For all you Sturgill Simpson fans, Tim was a sideman on Sturgill’s two “Cuttin’ Grass“ albums (bluegrass covers of his own songs) and “The Ballad of Dood & Juanita.” More great songs for the playlist. I was lucky enough to see the “Dood” band with Tim at Merlefest about a week before Sturgill had to shut down his tour because of vocal chord injuries.

Last edited:
why sing the ballad of John Henry like Tim O'Brien in 1:46 min when you can do it in slow blues old man style in 6:00 min, and provide captions that give social insights into each verse...and gain some comprehension as to the conflict between man an machine:ROFLMAO:

Thanks Liz for the intro to this artist. I didn't know him. I listened to a few things. Very talented fellow. I think I'd really like the Fiddler's Green album that this traditional song is from. I might have a Woody Guthrie version of this somewhere- but I've followed the Tim O 'Brien take. Baritone uke with some acoustic guitar, sopranino uke and harmonica.

Thanks for hosting Liz! I didn't know Tim O'Brien so I'll be listening to some of his songs this week... in the meantime, I see he covered this Gordon Lightfoot song on "Fiddler's Green" and it's one that I've wanted to have a go at, so I'll grab that opportunity before anyone beats me to it :).

Good morning, Seasonistas! And, many thanks to Rob, John of the south and Edwin for our first three songs! True confessions, I am not as familiar with Tim’s work with Hot Rize as I am with his other projects. But, I welcome any and all submissions from that stage of his career, too. Keep them coming, people! We already have 3 songs in the playlist from one Tim O album, Fiddler’s Green. I wonder if we can get that whole album covered…

Good morning, Seasonistas! And, many thanks to Rob, John of the south and Edwin for our first three songs! True confessions, I am not as familiar with Tim’s work with Hot Rize as I am with his other projects. But, I welcome any and all submissions from that stage of his career, too. Keep them coming, people! We already have 3 songs in the playlist from one Tim O album, Fiddler’s Green. I wonder if we can get that whole album covered…
I listened to Fiddler's Green yesterday as my introduction to Tim O'Brien--- wow, thank you, Liz!--- and would love to hear Seasonista versions of the whole thing! I listened to He Walked On next and liked that one even better, and thought I would mention two of the songs here in case anyone is still looking for a song to do: When You Pray (Move Your Feet) (), which is, among other things, a tribute to John Lewis (U.S. civil rights hero); and Five Miles In and One Mile Down (), a really powerful song about justice for coal miners. I'm going to try to learn simple versions of one or both of them this week, and I'm hoping that someone who has right hand technique beyond mine (which currently consists entirely of downstrums) will give one or both of them a try too--- I would love to hear what a more advanced player can do with them!

The excellent Bryan Sutton, who plays guitar with them now, has kept the Suede character going.
Thanks
I didn't know that Bryan had replaced Charles in Hot Rize. They are/were both excellent guitar pickers though. I'm a fan of Bryan's, both on guitar and mandolin (though he probably doesn't play much mandolin with Tim in the band)
I've heard him with Ricky Skaggs, Dolly Parton, Béla Fleck and Jerry Douglas.

The excellent Bryan Sutton, who plays guitar with them now, has kept the Suede character going.
Thanks Rick, I was unaware that Bryan had joined the group. I knew his work with Ricky Skaggs, Dolly Parton, Béla Fleck and Jerry Douglas.
He would make an excellent replacement for Charles. I love both of their playing. Bryan is also an excellent mandolin player, but probably doesn't play much mandolin with Tim in the group.

(Edited to explain: My previous post didn't show upon my screen, so I thought I'd lost it and did it again. Sorry.)

Last edited:
Thanks Rick, I was unaware that Bryan had joined the group. I knew his work with Ricky Skaggs, Dolly Parton, Béla Fleck and Jerry Douglas.
He would make an excellent replacement for Charles. I love both of their playing. Bryan is also an excellent mandolin player, but probably doesn't play much mandolin with Tim in the group.
He is indeed a fine player. There are so many excellent flat pickers these days.

I first heard Tim O’Brien a few years ago when this was played on Mark Radcliffe’s folk and roots show on R2. I love the swing jazz feel of this. I’m not as familiar with the rest of his stuff, but I’ve seen clips of him playing guitar, Mandolin and fiddle, alongside the likes of Sam Bush and Chris Thile…so to be able to hold his own in that kind of company is no mean feat. Anyway, this is my submission. This is what I love about songwriting, you can write about pretty much anything…..😊. Full disclosure: I had innumerable takes where I did the key change without the capo, but at some point, I had to get on with other stuff, so wysiwyg 👍😂

I found this one, written by Tim for The Australian Workers' Union, and gave it a go.

Top Bottom