Season 542 - Lessons Learned

DelGriff

A very boring man!
Reaction score
Evening all! :)

We are approaching, or in some cases have reached, the end of another academic year. So, what better time could there be to pay homage to all of the amazing teachers out there? Those who dedicate their working lives to the education of others - imparting their knowledge, wisdom and experience to improve the lives and prospects of their students.

I know for a fact that we have several teachers amongst our number here on the Seasons. Formal educators such as Edwin (jtsteam), Jim Yates, Ila, Loftur (Cazteclo), Joko, Dave (TCK), Berni (Barbablanca), Brian Fergus (Ukefoote) - who have I missed? And also ukulele teachers, such as Liz Brinker, Brian Fergus (Ukefoote) and Kev Griffin (Mezcalero) - anyone else?

So, the title for the new Season is ‘Lessons Learned’. Simply bring me songs about teachers, or that contain the words (or their derivatives) teach, lesson, learn, education, school, college, university, classroom etc (you get the idea). The context of the song doesn’t need to be a formally educational one as long as at least one of the appropriate words is/are present.

Originals, collaborations and multitracked songs are very welcome, as long as uke is in the mix somewhere. There’s no song limit. The Season will run from 12.01am Sunday 3rd July to 11.59pm Sunday 10th July (Hawaiian time).

There will be some kind of prize (yet to be decided) for my favourite entry. No charity tie-in this time - I’m still recovering financially from the last time I hosted! 🤓

The most important rule of them all - have fun!

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Yay! I am a middle school science teacher- 27 years.

Damn, I knew that! Sorry to have missed you off the list, Dave - adding you now! :)

I should also add that Brian Fergus taught electronic music for a large part of his career (and is an emeritus professor, no less). How I’d love to have been one of his students!

Would any other formal educators and ukulele or other instrument teachers out there please make themselves known? This season is to celebrate you and your work! Don’t be shy!

Great theme. I am a retired university Lecturer in Translation from Catalan into English. In my time I have also taught Drama, Performance Arts and English as a second language. And I have taught several people to ski... And even taught people to juggle... The latter proving the old saying, "those who can do, those who can't teach" since I can't juggle, but I attended a workshop on how to do so and I can pass that knowledge on to those who are more physically coordinated than myself 😜

Great theme. I am a retired university Lecturer in Translation from Catalan into English. In my time I have also taught Drama, Performance Arts and English as a second language. And I have taught several people to ski... And even taught people to juggle... The latter proving the old saying, "those who can do, those who can't teach" since I can't juggle, but I attended a workshop on how to do so and I can pass that knowledge on to those who are more physically coordinated than myself 😜
Sorry Berni - I knew some of that too! Adding you to the list immediately matey! :)

Once I nearly dropped everything to become a juggler.

Evening all! :)

We are approaching, or in some cases have reached, the end of another academic year. So, what better time could there be to pay homage to all of the amazing teachers out there? Those who dedicate their working lives to the education of others - imparting their knowledge, wisdom and experience to improve the lives and prospects of their students.
Ha! Me rapping a cleaner on the board: "I've had a heavy night. Do _not_ make me have to shout..."
(I once literally went from a nightclub to deliver a 9a.m. lecture. I still had the sombrero I'd picked up somewhere along the way...).

Ha! Me rapping a cleaner on the board: "I've had a heavy night. Do _not_ make me have to shout..."
(I once literally went from a nightclub to deliver a 9a.m. lecture. I still had the sombrero I'd picked up somewhere along the way...).
This made me laugh, possibly slightly nervously because it's all too familiar... Not for a long time, of course... Of course.

9am lectures and tutorials are a good time to teach students the value of coffee.

Damn, I knew that! Sorry to have missed you off the list, Dave - adding you now! :)

I should also add that Brian Fergus taught electronic music for a large part of his career (and is an emeritus professor, no less). How I’d love to have been one of his students!

Would any other formal educators and ukulele or other instrument teachers out there please make themselves known? This season is to celebrate you and your work! Don’t be shy!
I tried teaching middle school science about twenty years ago, and couldn't even make it through 27 days--- I have great respect for Dave and anyone else who can do it at all, let alone for 27 years! After a few career turns, I am getting ready to try classroom teaching again. This time I'll be teaching grad students in biostatistics, so I think the classroom atmosphere should be a little calmer...

Del, thank you for hosting!

Reactions: TCK
Yay! I am a middle school science teacher- 27 years.
What? AND you are a middle school teacher? We really do have a LOT in common. I'm also a teacher, about to teach 7th grade... in Sonoma.

I get now what you were doing when you said you had to go "do your homework"...

Email me if you ever want to meet in a park somewhere and strum a bit and talk shop. I have some time available... well, during the summer anyway.

Just add @gmail.com to my UU user name if you want to try that some time!

Great theme! I'm a psychology professor (26 years in my current job/university), so I hope to bring it this season!

Top Bottom