Season 542 - Lessons Learned

Another "Another Brick In The Wall Part 2" ....yeah I know.

But it's a fab ditty. And I have done it a bit differently.

Check out Mythinformed and his instrumental version as well.

There's some things you learn in school, and lots of things you don't but you probably ought to know anyway. This got a teensy bit darker than I intended, but here you go...

My history teacher once told us in passing that (a) Marat died in his bath and (b) we'd never forget that. He's right, I haven't forgotten it... and today it even came in useful!

I hope this qualifies Del.
When John Hartford wrote MY RAG, he incorporated a lesson into the song, maybe just in case someone had brought a uke to the show. I have not always mentioned seventh chords, so when I say "G", feel free to play a "G7".

thank you for hosting this week Del
i have been, at various times, a grade 11-12 English teacher, University tutor,
Sunday School teacher, Bible study leader and School Chaplain
and looking over the rubble i think my best work has always been done, not only
after midnight, but when leading by bad example: do as i say not as i do. :)
that said, this little ditty involves a history classroom, a boy & a girl,
HenryVIII & Jane Seymour. what could possibly go wrong, right...
an original song for the season that has somehow lived to be 26 years old & counting
🌻

Morning all! :)

For the first time since the season started I think I’m up to date with listening and commenting - if I’ve missed anyone do please let me know!

And what an amazing start to the week - not yet 48 hours in and we have 26 fabulous songs on the playlist! Please try to listen to and comment on as many as you can - you won’t be disappointed! Not only that, but it seems that the Seasons is packed to the rafters with teachers and lecturers, past and present, of so many different varieties - so much so that I’ve given up adding to the roll call in my initial post! But it’s well worth looking through the thread to discover them all! And if there are any more educators lurking out there, please let us know - we are celebrating you all this week!

Thank you all again - it’s an A+ all round so far! :)

mad world - a tears for fears song
mentioned in the lyrics
'Went to school and I was very nervous
No one knew me, no one knew me
Hello teacher tell me what's my lesson
Look right through me, look right through me'

My life in a frame...20220624_165232.jpg
I once had a student ask me, in all seriousness, about scientists researching ice cores at the South Pole, "a question that's always puzzled me: when they're working down there, why don't they just fall off?" She was 20 years of age.
Fortunately, her classmates piled in, so I got let off the hook (but what they teach them in Texas, IDK).

Last edited:
PAUL ... ARE YOU SAYING THE EARTH ISN'T FLAT????

Hello, Del and thanks for hosting this very intellectual week. I think this was the first "teacher" song that came into my mind; it obviously didn't come into anyone else's, which all goes to prove that I must be very, very old! Anyway, herewith ...

Thanks for hosting Del. This song mentions Teacher twice though its pretty clear it’s metaphorical. This is by a band called Villagers, who are essentially, just one man, Conor O’Brien. I like the tune and I like the lyrics so I thought…why the hell not.

Hey, Del!

Thanks for hosting!

I'm on holiday this week in sunny Norfolk and by happy coincidence it turns out Steve (YorkSteve) is too!
The opportunity to meet up and play something together was too good to miss so here's what happened a short while ago!

An absolute pleasure to meet you and Mrs. P, Steve (it's weirdly like meeting someone off the telly!) and a real joy playing with you! Albeit far too brief! Cheers!

Hi everyone- I just got an email about a free online conference of a group called VOICES, Virtual Ongoing Interdisciplinary Collaborations on Educating with Song. The website says, "VOICES is an international group of STEM and arts teachers, professors, administrators, musicians, and experts in technology & science communication who work to promote the use of song in STEM," so I'm sharing here because it seems highly relevant! (I don't have any prior experience with the conference or the group hosting it, but I have been to conferences organized by their "parent" group and they have been very good.) https://www.causeweb.org/voices/

Randy Newman's views on the study of Politcal Science and how it governs foreign policy.
No one likes us
I don't know why
We may not be perfect
But heaven knows we try
But all around
Even our old friends put us down
Let's drop the big one
And see what happens
We give them money
But are they grateful
No, they're spiteful
And they're hateful
They don't respect us
So let's surprise them
We'll drop the big one
And pulverize them
Asia's crowded
And Europe's too old
Africa's far too hot
And Canada's too cold
And South America stole our name
Let's drop the big one
There'll be no one left to blame us
We'll save Australia
Don't want to hurt no kangaroo
We'll build an all American amusement park there
They've got surfing, too
Boom goes London
And boom Paris
More room for you
And more room for me
And every city the whole world round
Will just be another American town
Oh, how peaceful it'll be
We'll set everybody free
You'll have Japanese kimonos, baby
There'll be Italian shoes for me
They all hate us anyhow
So let's drop the big one now
Let's drop the big one now

Just to add to the ever-growing list, I used to teach spreadsheets & databases in the very early days of personal computing. And for a few weeks I covered for a colleague who was teaching an evening class at a local college. Stop me if you've heard this one before, but at the time, one of the music teachers there was the person who played the sax solo on Baker Street. He is fairly high up on my list of people I very nearly met.

Just to add to the ever-growing list, I used to teach spreadsheets & databases in the very early days of personal computing. And for a few weeks I covered for a colleague who was teaching an evening class at a local college. Stop me if you've heard this one before, but at the time, one of the music teachers there was the person who played the sax solo on Baker Street. He is fairly high up on my list of people I very nearly met.
Wow! Bob Holness is my hero :).

(In case anyone has no idea what I'm on about, this myth still seems to persist: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12120809)

In other "very nearly met" stories... every year we, like probably most universities, award honorary degrees to various luminaries, usually locals who've done well for themselves, but sometimes internationally famous people. And so we go to graduation, in our ridiculous gowns, and parade onto the stage with the graduating class along with a couple of honorary graduands. The year before I came here, we awarded an honorary doctorate to Bob Dylan. One of my colleagues, a folkie, went along to that ceremony just so he could say he'd shared a stage with Bob Dylan. I would have too...

Top Bottom