Season 567 - Songs From The Back Burner

I'm bringing you one of the songs that wasn't quite finished for John's (Flatbaroque) What's in a Name season. My lyrics missed a few of the repeated phrases (and their chords), so I edited those in and had another go at this bawdy song. Music by Thomas Morley, who was a contemporary if William Shakespeare, who wrote the lyrics (the song appears in As You Like It).
https://www.cpdl.org/wiki/images/0/05/Morley_Bridge_It_was_a_lover_and_his_lass.pdf

Can you send your file from your phone to your email via Wetransfer.com (it's free)? That way you can open it up on another computer and upload. Anyway, I hope this helps.
I’ll check it out and see if it’s something I can work out. Thanks! :)

I started learning the bass line for this before Christmas break but I didn't have time to learn any of the other parts since I was a little occupied with working on my collab with Christine for the Modern English cover (it's on the Misfit Seasons).

Anyway, I found myself working from home this week and since it was a relatively slow work day on Tuesday (12/27/22), I decided to record each individual part all the way through starting around 7am and finishing at around 10pm. It's a little crazy, but I had a lot of fun. Not to mention the fact that I learned a LOT by doing this.

It's a super fun song to play (and I'm assuming, sing, since the vocal melody sounds great to my ears).

The mixing, mastering and video editing took most of my work day today (12/28). Anyway, here it is...It's finally done. I hope you all enjoy it.

Excellent! It sounds great! :)

Thanks for hosting Del and best wishes to everyone. I should have been on my way to friends in the North Western Lake District today but the missus isn't well so here's an attempt at a Cat Stevens classic that I've been meaning to try for a long time. I'd hoped to do it for season 564, songs with no choruses, but life got in the way. This father and son sing in the same key which is not necessarily the key in which I'm playing !

Hi Del and happy holiday's to all of you.
A while ago Val had a season where the theme was 'moral turpitude' and I wanted to submit something but didn't find the time.
So, here is the song I wanted to submit then which is an old US song called, either, Poor Benny or Come Home, Father - I am not sure which.

Hi Del, and thank you for hosting. Here’s a Harry Nilsson one I’ve been meaning to do for a long long time but its never quite fit anything….

(EDIT: I just realised that there is an one song per day limit. Sorry Del. This was impromptu. I won't be posting anymore this week.)
Here’s a rule clarification - my intention was always to make it a one song per day average limit. So that basically means that a total of up to 8 songs in the week is acceptable whenever they are posted. So, Joo, and others that have queried me about this privately, I hope this clarifies the situation for you. Apologies for the confusion! :)

Reactions: joo
Well in that case Del ……. 😂

I was going to post this one tomorrow to adhere to the “one a day” rule, but as that is flexible, I’ll post it now. I actually recorded 4 songs today, three of which were for this Season, the idea being that I would post them over the next few days…..anyway, the other song I did for this season hasn’t worked out right so on the back burner it will stay. So this one, I always have a few Beatles songs on the back burner, I just do, you never know when one of them will suit, although, to be honest, there’s nearly always one Beatles song that will suit. This is a song Sir Paul wrote for the late, and very lovely (plus a fantastic singer to boot) Cilla Black, so not a Beatles song in the conventional sense. I think it shows how versatile Macca was as a songwriter. As much as I love Lennon, I could never see him writing something like this. It goes without saying that I had a lorra lorra fun recording this one.

I started writing this one a few weeks back - it was going to be a sad Christmas love song. But the Christmas theme was really getting in the way of the creative process. I don’t ever remember abandoning a songwriting project before, but that’s exactly what I did with this one. Then I came back to it yesterday. I wrote some new lyrics, and hey presto - it worked.

Hi all my Seasonista friends, old and new.
It's been a while. I last posted to the Seasons in Season 520 and joined that celebration. I thought I'd stop by and see what was happening, and it is just so great to see many of the old faces still contributing. I coudn't help it, I had to have a go, too.

This song is by Paul Kelly, and has become somewhat of an institution in Australia, to the extent that 21st December is now known as Gravy Day by many.
I'm not sure if it has been played in the Seasons before now, but it tells the story of a fellow in jail, who is ringing his brother prior to Christmas, and telling him how to make the gravy for the Christmas Roast. It is quite an emotional song highlighting what he is missing out on.

Thanks Del, for this season, and the opportunity to join in again.

Here at the Woodford Folk Festival in Queensland, Australia, my new friends and campmates Mike and Rosanna have had something back-burnered: Rosanna has been wanting to teach Mike to play the ukulele.

Mission accomplished. It's now 4pm and we still haven't made it from our campsite to the festival today. Instead we've been playing ukuleles since breakfast.

Please give Mike and Rosanna a warm Seasonista welcome for their Seasons debut ... and Mike for his first ever ukulele song!

Here is another from my 50/90 harvest. This was written for a "short songs" challenge. A sad tale in 40 seconds.

Hello, Del ... and thanks for hosting! I have been hemming and hawing about whether to appear at all this week, but I wanted to wish everyone the very best for the New Year ... so, here I am! I have been wanting to attempt this Nilsson song forever, but like John's Nilsson song, it never seemed to be quite right for any particular theme. I have also done what I never intended to do, in that I have shoehorned my recording in between two photos I found today of us, taken in the doorway of the old homestead ... well, actually, still the current homestead! I promise you, I am not trying to elicit sympathy ... I am coping; sort of! I have another song in mind to do this week which is so idiotic, it will banish all feelings of sympathy for me. Love to you All, X

Last edited:
A Canadian icon, Ian Tyson, left the planet Thursday morning at 89 years old. I've loved his high-wailing Canadian tenor since I first heard it in the summer of 1962. I was at a street dance in Orillia and the music was provided by a bluegrass band, The York County Boys. Part way through the night, Big John McManaman, the banjer player, said that he was gonna have a couple of friends come up and sing a few tunes with the band. That was my introduction to the music of Ian & Sylvia.
One of my favourite Ian Tyson songs is Summer Wages. I have been intending to learn it for years, but here goes. Thanks for the venue Del.
I wish I still owned a cowboy hat to wear for this song.

Summer Wages - Ian Tyson

Last edited:
Top Bottom