Season 600 - Seasons And Seasonings

Here's California Dreamin' for SOTU 600, intentionally kept simple, and strummed on a $50USD plastic ukulele. Dedicated to Mackenzie Phillips and Cass Elliot.

A brief explanation of solidarity via simplicity:
Michelle Mackenzie Phillips claims incest from her father, John Phillips, during the band's heyday, and I believe her. Mackenzie's drug addiction subsequently decimated her life. Cass Elliot started her singing career performing from behind the stage curtain. She evolved into becoming a star in her own right, and launched a solo career before her life was taken away.

(Note: I misspoke a name, hence the strikeout above)

Last edited:
Season 600 eh? Who knows where the time goes. Oh, that sounds like a cue for a song, and one which happens to mention Winter & Spring.

Well, I know where my time's been going at the moment, Steve ... making daft videos for the week; I really need to concentrate on doing "grown up" stuff, but I felt in need of cheering up today, so I indulged myself ... again!!! I can't sing this song without hearing Nat King Cole's voice in the background ... it seemed to be a staple on the radio when I was growing up. And, actually, I have just read that this week is going to be the hottest of the year here in France; so I suppose it's topical. (I could do without the thunderstorms that seem to be accompanying the heat, though ... I spent half last night getting up to reset the power!) Anyway, enough rambling, herewith ....

Last edited:
Here's California Dreamin' for SOTU 600, intentionally kept simple, and strummed on a $50USD plastic ukulele. Dedicated to Michelle and Cass.

A brief explanation of solidarity via simplicity:
Michelle Phillips claims incest from her father, John Phillips, during the band's heyday, and I believe her. Michelle's drug addiction subsequently decimated her life. Cass Elliot started her singing career performing from behind the stage curtain. She evolved into becoming a star in her own right, and launched a solo career before her life was taken away.

Sorry, I KNOW I'm being pedantic, but I think it was John Phillips' daughter from his first marriage who had an incestuous relationship with him ... he was MARRIED to Michelle. (Actually, I just read that JP's behaviour was so reprehensible that Keith Richards, of all people, once threw him out of his house!) Anyway, the song is lovely and nothing can detract from that!

No, actually, although I said that I've got a Firefly, this is a MOTU ... made here in France. It has a very banjo-ukey sort of sound, but I prefer it because it's not so loud.
This is the chap's website ... he's near Bordeaux, which is about three hours away from where I live https://www.ukulele-motu.fr/

Yes! Just been looking, and now I feel an attack of UAS coming on…
They are pretty reasonably priced for what they are and I find I use mine quite a lot, especially when it comes to "vintage" songs ... I've never quite "got on" with banjoleles - despite having one - and I find that it's a really good compromise!

Sorry, I KNOW I'm being pedantic, but I think it was John Phillips' daughter from his first marriage who had an incestuous relationship with him ... he was MARRIED to Michelle. (Actually, I just read that JP's behaviour was so reprehensible that Keith Richards, of all people, once threw him out of his house!) Anyway, the song is lovely and nothing can detract from that!
Thank you. Most of what I say is from my own recollection. I don't fact check myself as I write, so there may be an error with names. I did read the daughter's book when it was first released, and I also read a biography of Cass Elliot. I'll find the daughter's correct name, and edit my original post.

It's corrected now. Her name is Mackenzie, not Michelle.

Last edited:
They look quite lightweight, too, which is never a bad thing - I also have a Deering Goodtime banjo uke which is quite uncomfortable from the tensioning hooks.
They ARE light - I think they're made from layered plywood - and, because of the shape and small size, they aren't all that easy to hold ... I find a strap essential.

Here's "Lost Stars" from the movie "Begin Again". Both Kiera Knightly and her co-star, Adam Levine, sing their own versions in the movie, which is one of the plot conflicts. I prefer Kiera's take.

"Tell us the reason youth is wasted on the young / It's hunting season and this lamb is on the run / searching for meaning / but are we all lost stars, trying to light up the dark?"

Last edited:
Here we go, first video in 4 months or so.

This has both a season (Summertime) and a seasoning (Thyme) :)

It feels cheeky as a newcomer to post a song to such a seminal thread. Well done to more established seasonistas for keeping this lovely gathering going for 600 years weeks.

I offer a Kinks song, maybe not the most obvious one that springs to mind for the theme (though likely the second most obvious).

If you were alive in Britain in the 1980s you may remember a satirical puppet show called Spitting Image. You may also remember this song, and you may also wish you didn't. But it mentions Spring, so...

It came out when I was about 8. And I remember that, somehow, we organised ourselves as a class to stand up and sing it one morning when the teacher walked in. As I remember it, she was laughing too much to be annoyed with us... What I didn't realise back then was just how many key changes it had.

Bob Nolan was born in Canada to a Canadian mother and American father, and spent most of his life in the United States. Although you can't tell it from this song, he wrote many "western" themed songs and was a founding member of the Sons of the Pioneers, writing many of their biggest songs, such as "Cool Water" and "Tumbling Tumbleweeds." This song starts out mentioning summertime.

what an album it turned out to be, his last one. stunning mate. gonna catch you up over on yt directly.
thanks for doing this one John.
also, i'm officially coveting your room. reminds me of Joo's place...
'cept tidier maybe lol
xo
Hehe…the tidiness tis but an illusion…some quick moving of assorted rubbish:)

White winter hymnal.

I was following the I was following the pack
All swallowed in their coats with scarves of red
tied 'round their throats To keep their little heads
From fallin' in the snow
And I turned 'round and there you go And, Michael, you would fall
And turn the white snow red as strawberries In the summertime.

Top Bottom