Season 600 - Seasons And Seasonings

This is a song written for Season 150, songs about New Jersey, hosted by Wendy Kaillin (UkeCan2). She announced the theme, I gave it about 5 minutes of percolation, and sent the lyrics to here... And she was late to a party, writing the music... because she HAD to!

She asked me to do the song again for Season 600, so I made the time, and here it is. Wendy will post her recording of the song shortly thereafter.

I was hoping to meet Wendy one day, but with her gone Down Under, who knows...

Anyway, without further adieu, here is :The Jughandle Song".

Yay, thanks, Kurt! That was so great!

I had this song on my list last week for the "The" theme, and recorded my version on Monday during the crossover day, since it also mentions summer and winter. But I knew Kurt was here too, and since it's more his song than mine I thought he should get a chance to post first.

I'll add a few details to the story. (And a correction or two: my last name is spelled as in the video, but with one L only, and my handle is UkeCan1. Uke Can 2! was a duo I started on day 19 of my uke journey, and when my cup partner helped me make my first Seasons video ten days later, I needed a handle in a hurry, so I figured if two of us were Uke Can 2!, that my half of the duo alone could be UkeCan1.)

Season 150 was my first Season hosting, and it was New Year week, so the theme was New Year, New Jersey - celebrating both - songs about or mentioning NJ or NJ places, or by NJ artists, or New Year songs. It was a super fun week, with lots of participation and fun discoveries and creations.

I woke up New Year's morning, after of course being up late the night before ringing in the New Year. I figured just a quick check of the Season, which I expected might be a bit quiet because everyone else would have been out celebrating too, leave some comments, update the playlist, and then I could head to my new duo partner's home for his traditional New Year's Day party.

The Season was indeed quiet ... except for the private message from Kurt, with these funny clever lyrics about some iconic NJ quirks, asking if I had any thoughts on a tune. So yeah ... I spent way longer than planned coming up with some chords and a melody, and Jersey-fying some of the lyrics, and videoing the result and sending it back to Kurt. All day at the party, I fretted whether he would love it or hate it. When I came back, he had kept the lyric changes, added some minor chords, and massively improved the melody. (My original melody sounded suspiciously close to "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean", which you can still hear bits of in both our versions.)

We both still do the song, and as you can hear, we use the same basic chords, rhythm, and lyrics, but very different melodies (and mine still sounds way too much like "Bonnie").

Also, it's mentioned in the song that Oregon is the only other US state with no self-serve gas. That was true until about a week ago. I heard on the news last week that Oregon now trusts people to pump their own gas. So NJ now stands alone in that regard.

Also, NJ added a 23c/gal fuel tax a few years back, so while it's probably still cheaper than New York (where Kurt lives) or Connecticut, NJ gas is not nearly the bargain it used to be.

And, yes - that was a missed opportunity that we never got together while we lived in neighboring states! I'll let you know when I come for a visit ... and of course you (all of you!) are welcome to come visit Brisbane any time! It's beautiful here, as you've seen in my videos.

Verandah Jam day 31 (but really 27).

PS, I'm fine with the misspelling, because I'm way too easy to google ... that's why I'm purposely cagey about using my full name online.

It feels like I'd just posted 20 minutes ago with that silly song about Worcestershire sauce. Glad to see that many posts have happened since I did that. Makes me feel I am not overstretching my welcome. (I feel bad not commenting on more videos though, will KETCHUP soon)

Seasons In The Sun by Rod Mckuen. One take during lunch break!
Sing and play along please!~ Chords are D, Em, A7

This is perhaps the most captivating footage that I have ever caught on camera. It was of a leaf suspended by a single strand of a spiders web, and it danced in the breeze unable to break free. Life is like that sometimes... hanging on by a thread.

Remember the plastic bag scene from American Beauty?

My commitment to myself is to make and post a verandah video every day, not just post one I made earlier in the week. So here's one I actually made today, for Verandah 2 Jam day 31. It's very windy!

I accidentally said "summer going into winter" at the end. Of course I meant going into autumn, as the song says.

Also, I forgot to remove my earphones, lol. They are not there for any purpose. 😆

Last edited:
This is perhaps the most captivating footage that I have ever caught on camera. It was of a leaf suspended by a single strand of a spiders web, and it danced in the breeze unable to break free. Life is like that sometimes... hanging on by a thread.

Remember the plastic bag scene from American Beauty?

There is a wonderful short story by O.Henry. called The Last Leaf. Set in an apartment building in New York in the early 1900's during a very severe winter. The building is peopled by Bohemian types..artists ect. One of occupants a youngish women artist catches severe pneumonia..consumption as it was known. From her bed she can see a large tree that is gradually losing it's leaves. She confides in her friend that she has no doubt she will die when the last leaf falls. The leaves continue falling and falling...but for some reason the last leaf never falls..for days in the wildest of storms. Eventually her fever breaks and she recovers.
It turns out that an old artist in the apartment below her had learnt of her fear of dying when the last leaf fell. So he snuck out at night in the storm and painted a leaf on the wall adjacent the tree - to give the illusion of the never falling leaf. Days later he was found in the courtyard dead with the paintbrush in his hand having succumbed to the elements...but not before painting the leaf. Years since I read it...so paraphrasing.

Last edited:
This reminds me of a lovely,
There is a beautiful, but quite melancholic, song called A Leaf Must Fall by Clive Palmer for his band the Famous Jug Band and their album Sunshine Possibilities, with an absolutely captivating vocal by a lady called Jill Johnson, also of the band, but Mary Hopkin has also recorded a version very faithful to the original.

I believe Clive Palmer was an original member of the Incredible String Band, but left after their first album.

There is a wonderful short story by O.Henry. called The Last Leaf. Set in an apartment building in New York in the early 1900's during a very severe winter. The building is peopled by Bohemian types..artists ect. One of occupants a youngish women artist catches severe pneumonia..consumption as it was known. From her bed she can see a large tree that is gradually losing it's leaves. She confides in her friend that she has no doubt she will die when the last leaf falls. The leaves continue falling and falling...but for some reason the last leaf never falls..for days in the wildest of storms. Eventually her fever breaks and she recovers.
It turns out that an old artist in the apartment below her had learnt of her fear of dying when the last leaf fell. So he snuck out at night in the storm and painted a leaf on the wall adjacent the tree - to give the illusion of the never falling leaf. Days later he was found in the courtyard dead with the paintbrush in his hand having succumbed to the elements...but not before painting the leaf. Years since I read it...so paraphrasing.
Seems like, to save a life a life must be given is the message.

Reactions: joo
Seems like, to save a life a life must be given is the message.
I vaguely remember having read this story.

Hope was what she needed at that time. Even if it was only a painted illusion.
He gave her hope, but succumbed to the elements.

It seems like a noble way to help someone by painting that leaf, but no one can negotiate with Nature.

Such a tragic story.

Summertime by George Gershwin , done my way, slightly bluesy , the turnaround is flattened to suit the didge ...oh ,yes ,there's a didge and a frog !! Bari Tribal tuned down one half step/semitone to suit the didge which drones in C sharp....and currently won't toot !

I'll just leave this here for Joo ....

which is phonetic for Jus.....

another cooking ingredient !!!

Well, who knew !!??

I thought your Summertime jam was very tasty! Coolest version ever. That didge is so good there.

And the cooking video you linked- whatstheshire sauce again?

I thought your Summertime jam was very tasty! Coolest version ever. That didge is so good there.

And the cooking video you linked- whatstheshire sauce again?
I think Keith Floyd was somewhat extracting the michael with his deliberate mispronounciation of Woostershire sauce ,as it is properly pronounced.

I have made that sauce myself and added a few zingers in chilli form , it is great with a steak or chicken.

I think Keith Floyd was somewhat extracting the michael with his deliberate mispronounciation of Woostershire sauce ,as it is properly pronounced.

I have made that sauce myself and added a few zingers in chilli form , it is great with a steak or chicken.
when it came to drinking Jilly and Ozzy could not hold a candle to Keith.

A bit outa the norm this week, as my wife, Wendy, officially joins fun for the first time.

Turns out she prefers singing with headphones where she can hear her own voice and try to sing in unison rather than singing along with a live uke. Here, she listened to and sang along with the original track first. Then I did the same, then added a uke track and took out the original. It's not what I'm used to... it's a bit raw and there are some flaws that get highlighted in the process. But that's what it is... a process!! And a fun one at that, but pretty unforgiving (you can hears bits of the original that were loud enough in the headphones to get picked up by the mic and a few other flubs). I can't wait to continue learning and improving!!

Also gotta get some video editing software to make a proper video with the recordings. For now, just used a free service to get the job done.

Anyways... here it is. Green Day's 'Wake Me Up When September Ends'

Top Bottom