Season 611 - Boys and Girls (And for One Night only)….

One Man And His Uke

Reaction score
SEASON 611 - Boys Bands/ Girl Bands - And for one night only.

Hello fellow Seasonistas, welcome. And hello and welcome to any newcomers who have taken a leap of faith and decided to have a go at Seasons of the Ukulele.It’s great to have you along for the ride. In case you were wondering what exactly is Seasons of the Ukulele, look no further that Edwin’s extremely helpful thread here

This Season I would like you to bring songs by Boy Bands, and Girl Bands. Now I think we should probably all have a pretty good idea what constitutes a boy band or girl band. I’ve looked to see if there is a dictionary definition, and unsurprisingly, there isn’t. To my mind I think of boy/girl bands playing to a younger, particularly teen, audience. Perhaps a band that has been “put together” by a manager, who may or may not be the Svengali type. Maybe one that, initially at least, didn’t write their own music or play their instruments, although I can think of a few who most definitely do play their own instruments and do write their own songs. There are some that spring to mind almost without thinking. I’m not going to be too prescriptive with this; so long you think your song is by a boy/ girl band, then that is good enough for me. Songs by former boy/ girl band artists are also acceptable. So I expect to hear lots of great pop music this week, there is more than one direction you can go with this; let’s have lots of girl power too because girls are most definitely allowed! ( If those hints don’t bring you any inspiration I’ll eat my Bay City Rollers scarf) So, from any era, 50s, 60s,70s right up to now, and from across this crazy globe of ours. I can’t wait to hear what you bring.

But, there is more! The Witching hour is almost upon us as Halloween arrives this week, so for one night only, on 31st October, should you wish to bring a Halloween themed song, you may. As I say, only on the 31st though. If you still wish to bring a boy/girl band song on 31st, that is fine too. You have that option. A Halloween song by a boy/girl band is even better!

For the writers among you, you may write a song about boy or girl bands, but……. It must be positive. It’s far too easy to dismiss boy and girl bands as lightweight, and lacking in talent, which isn’t a view I hold with. A great song is a great song regardless of who sings it. Even if you think Boy and Girl bands are the spawn of Satan, keep those thoughts to yourself, there will be other Seasons where you can vent, just not this one. So…..I would like you to write a song that paints boy/girl bands in a positive light. Perhaps a song from the point of view of a fan, or of a manager who’s putting a boy/girl band together. You may choose, of course, to eschew altogether any boy/girl band themed songwriting, and do a Halloween song instead. Although, as I say, you only have 31st October to do this.

There is a 2 song per day limit, but try to make one for a boy, one for a girl band if you can. Please say that this is for Season 611, either verbally, or in your video description.

Collaborations are more than welcome. Big productions are more than welcome. Dressing up in sequins and spandex are welcome. And it should go without saying that straight to camera vids are the most welcome of all. So long as ukulele is front and centre. If you are about to do a song and you find someone has already done it, please do it anyway. I’ve always liked it when we get multiple interpretations of the same song.

Start time is 12.00 AM Hawaii time, Sunday 29th Oct.
Finish time is 11.59 PM Hawaii time next Sunday.

Above all, have fun. There will be a little prize although at time of writing I have no idea what it will be, I just wanted to commit myself and worry about the practicalities of it later.

Don’t forget there still a day left of Chris’ Season 610 if you still fancy raiding the fancy dress box and singing like Ethel Merman (or is that just me? 🤔)

Playlist:

Boy Bands Girl Bands

Last edited:
John Lennon once said "Girls can't play guitar" or words to that effect, about a Liverpool band, the Liver Birds, and I couldn't disagree more, in fact most of my listening is by female musicians, but where do you stand on mixed bands or female fronted bands?
Robert, if you are asking John about mixed bands because I have asked you to collab a mixed band song with me, I think...er....I think John means All Boy and All Girl bands. It is my fault, I apologise. I got excited and the first band that came to my mind was a mixed band, where the girl looks like a boy, and I think subconsciously I always thought of them as a BOY band!

Last edited:
... I think unconsciously I always thought of them as a BOY band!

Except that The (early) Beatles explicitly modeled themselves on GIRL bands! Not just the covers of girl-band songs (Including Chains, Mr Postman, Baby It's You, Devil in Her Heart, and, ahem, Boys), but also in using themselves as a Greek chorus to scold their peers into proper behavior.

When they sang "Apologize to her," it wasn't a request. It was an order. They laid out the consequences in "You're Gonna Lose That Girl": treat her right, or "I'll make a point of taking her away from you", with the rest of band as Greek chorus chiming in, "That's what he'll do, yeah!"

Also, the one thing The Beatles weren't were boys, and we knew that from the beginning. They wore suits and ties and had jobs. By age 21-24, they were singing about what a grind their jobs were (Hard Day's Night), and right after that, feared the grind was killing them (Help!). To this day, I don't think there's a boy band that's gotten there, and I like a lot of boy bands!

Or at least some individual tunes. 🙂 As you say, @One Man And His Uke, a good pop tune is a good pop tune, and there are a lot of 'em in these areas you've laid out!

Anyway, apologies for the digression, but I'm really looking forward to this one!

John is probably too modest to recount his time in a boy band. He was in "The Birmingham Baker Boys" a group of lovable mop tops who met while working in a small Birmingham bakery. They went on to release the little known but critically acclaimed "Light Brown" album . It had on it such near hits as "Here Comes the Bun", Happiness is a Warm Bun", "Bun King" "I'll Follow the Bun", "Mother Nature's Bun"....it was a concept album ahead of it's time.

Thanks John, although I see you forgot to mention the seminal “Sergeant Peppers Loafy Hearts Club Sandwich Band”. I think some of our fans found the concept of it a bit too hard to stomach. We brought out a gluten free version a few months later 👍.

Anyway, on the subject of mixed bands, I am tempted, but…….I think there is more than enough source material if we stick to wholly Boy and Girl bands.

Thanks John, although I see you forgot to mention the seminal “Sergeant Peppers Loafy Hearts Club Sandwich Band”. I think some of our fans found the concept of it a bit too hard to stomach. We brought out a gluten free version a few months later 👍.

Anyway, on the subject of mixed bands, I am tempted, but…….I think there is more than enough source material if we stick to wholly Boy and Girl bands.
How could I forget that album...had your beautiful ballad "Yeast Today'".

HELP!!! I haven't any spandex and my sequins are in the wash; but I really DO fancy singing like Ethel Merman ... so you're not the only one, John! Great theme for the week, Sir ... so long as John of the South can stop being such a gluten for bakery-related puns (buns?)

HELP!!! I haven't any spandex and my sequins are in the wash; but I really DO fancy singing like Ethel Merman ... so you're not the only one, John! Great theme for the week, Sir ... so long as John of the South can stop being such a gluten for bakery-related puns (buns?)
Cometh the flour, cometh the man.

John is probably too modest to recount his time in a boy band. He was in "The Birmingham Baker Boys" a group of lovable mop tops who met while working in a small Birmingham bakery. They went on to release the little known but critically acclaimed "Light Brown" album . It had on it such near hits as "Here Comes the Bun", Happiness is a Warm Bun", "Bun King" "I'll Follow the Bun", "Mother Nature's Bun"....it was a concept album ahead of it's time.
Loaf is all you need. ;-)

Oh! I always get them confused with the Bake Boys, who did "Bun Bun Bun Till Daddy Takes the Tea Bread Away", "I Wish They All Could Be California Rolls", "God Only Doughs", and "Good Libations".

Last edited:
Here's an iconic boy band and their TV theme song. As I do every couple of weeks, I boldly attempted to perform a song meeting the theme at the local Sunday afternoon open mic, only hours after its posting. (The theme usually comes out some time Sunday morning Australia time - the open mic starts at 2pm.) I think this one came off rather well, and you can hear people drumming and singing along.

"Hey Hey We're the Monkees" by, you guessed it ... The Monkees.

I had a funny feeling you would pick this theme. And knowing of your admiration for Lord Gary of Barlow, here's one I have had up my sleeve ready. It's the song Take That released when Robbie rejoined, and it has always seemed a bit deeper than the usual moon/June boyband stuff.

Here's an iconic boy band and their TV theme song. As I do every couple of weeks, I boldly attempted to perform a song meeting the theme at the local Sunday afternoon open mic, only hours after its posting. (The theme usually comes out some time Sunday morning Australia time - the open mic starts at 2pm.) I think this one came off rather well, and you can hear people drumming and singing along.

"Hey Hey We're the Monkees" by, you guessed it ... The Monkees.

[MED,
IA=youtube]eVz7BVr5XlA[/MEDIA]
Do you remember The Fugs cover of this song?

Hey,hey, we're the Fugs,
People say we're fuggin' around. . .

Last edited:
I’m working all day today folks but it’s great to see that Wendy and Steve have got us off to a great start. Keep em coming and I will catch up properly tomorrow

Top Bottom