Season 611 - Boys and Girls (And for One Night only)….

Good morning all. Have caught up again after marvellous entries from Rob, Oldscruggsfan, Jim and a sweet bit of E17 from Del. Well, if we’re having Take That we have to have E17 don’t we? I am at work all day so will catch up later. BFN 👍

Hello! I didn't think I'd make it this week, for various boring reasons, but I unexpectedly had half an hour or so earlier so I thought I'd have a go at this one. Gerry and The Pacemakers count, right? Maybe a bit tenuous, but I reckon they count at least as much as a few others we've heard this week. Also, it's a classic bit of pop and turned out to be fun to play, so I did it anyway.

George Martin wanted The Beatles to do this Mitch Murray penned song as their first single, but they didn't want to, so Gerry and The Pacemakers had a crack at it instead. Now, 60ish years later, I'll have a crack too...

I was planning to try something more recent, maybe some Take That or East 17, but sadly, it turns out I don't really know them that well and I just haven't had enough time this week to learn one... oh well. I'm looking forward to catching up with my listening though!

By the way, we had a PE teacher at school whose first name was Gerry. He was in charge of the cross country running. I'm sure you can guess.

I have come to realise, like our esteemed host, that it is difficult to determine what characteristics define a boy or girl band. I have been having fun going down the list of submissions agreeing and often disagreeing with whether or not they qualify as a bonafide girl or boy band in my mind. I came up with some interesting contradictions. It seems that having all girls or all boys in the band isn't a necessary or sufficient condition for it to be a girl/boy band. There also seems to be an element of these bands being formed, usually by management, to appeal to a teen and pre-teen demographic. But still, I find some exceptions to this as well. Choreographed dance moves? Often, but again, there are lots of exceptions.

I won't embarrass myself by letting you know which bands I think qualify as boy bands or girl bands, but I did have to choose at least one act to get into the party.

Yes, I think The Velvelettes are a bona fide girl band. (The sole stomping and hand clapping was provided by my trusty metronome.)

While the Bangles are an all-girl (women) group, they don't fit the theme as it was intended for this SOTU but since others opened the door on bands that don't technically fit the theme I'm throwing in with this one. Manic Monday by The Bangles.

While the Bangles are an all-girl (women) group, they don't fit the theme as it was intended for this SOTU
oh no! i did the Bangles song, i didn't realise it wasn't appropriate for the theme. clearly i didn't read the
introduction post closely enough. my apologies, John.

oh no! i did the Bangles song, i didn't realise it wasn't appropriate for the theme. clearly i didn't read the
You're not alone, others have done it as well. I did have a legit song entry chosen and then someone else beat me to it so I bent the rules on my entry too.

Hi Jon, I said earlier, so long as you lovely guys n gals think a band is a Boy or a Girl band, that’s fine by me. I’m not one for being too prescriptive. Bending the rules, more or less, is a feature of Seasons as far as I can tell, and I’m not to go against that. So long as folk are having fun singing and playing, well, more power to them 👍

I loved Jim’s slightly different approach to this one a few posts back, and couldn’t resist asking him if I could add some vocal harmony to it. He kindly agreed - thanks Jim! :)

Morning fine Seasonistas. Just been enjoying Wee Rab’s awesome take on Jive Talking. I’m sure he must have been an Ibiza DJ in a former life.

So, playlist is up to date. Every single song wonderful. So glad you have all brought these wonderful songs this week. So we have a couple of days left. I know I have emphasised that the interpretation of Boy or Girl band is up to you, and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed what you’ve brought this far, it would still be great if, now we are in the final straight, we could get say, songs from any of the following; The Osmonds, The Jackson 5, Back Street Boys, The Bay City Rollers, Take That, Busted, McFly, The Spice Girls, All Saints, Atomic Kitten, or any from bands of that ilk. Indulge me 😂.

Last edited:
Hello again, John! I really shouldn't have put this up ... the lighting was appalling and I am still struggling to sing with my cold; oh dear! However, 'tis here ... please feel free to ignore it! Robbie Williams of Take That covered this. (The truth is that the weather here is horrible this afternoon and I was getting rather tired of watching a repeat of "Midsomer Murders" for the umpteenth time!)

Last edited:
I have updated the playlist ( I see that naughty Graham has removed his song! Graham, a Paddington hard stare for you my lad if you’re not careful! )
Sorry John, me and the missus got an unexpected call to do some babysitting 150 miles away, they're a bit full on at 24 and 9 months so I had to jump ship from the season. Back home now but we're both totally knackered :)

Gotta watch out for them U-Rays, as them boys from Sligo in the west of Ireland warned us...

Top Bottom