Season 611 - Boys and Girls (And for One Night only)….

Here's an instrumental just arranged for this Season. Made famous by Herman's Hermits. Thanks.

That's a coincidence - the McFly song I did a couple of posts ago is pretty similar to this one. As I was recording it, I couldn't remember where I had heard it before...🤔

That's a coincidence - the McFly song I did a couple of posts ago is pretty similar to this one. As I was recording it, I couldn't remember where I had heard it before...🤔
Funny you should say that Steve when I was just pointing to you out a similarity between parts of Its All About You and parts of Lately by Stevie Wonder 👍

Right, playlist is yet again up to date. And my request for songs by the likes of the Rollers and McFly has been answered wonderfully. Bed time here so I will catch up tomorrow at some point. Keep them coming if you can, this week has been a real treat for me. I’ll have to host again before too long.

True history of the region. When my mom became a teenager and embarrassingly started squealing when a record was played (because she was 100% one of those screaming girls in the audience of the Ed Sullivan Show), the term “boy band” was not even coined yet. To this day, she loves Dion and the Belmonts more than anything in the world, and how could she not? Brilliant pop music by any account.

Now, argue as mom might, across the East River in Queens, the ACTUAL greatest boy band ever were a bunch of kids a few years younger than mom. I imagine them playing stickball and making the fire hydrants gush on hot days because that is like cemented New York imagery for someone who has never been there. I also imagine them listening to the same hit parade mom did, as they all grew up to craft perfect pop songs as well. Who knows? Had the New York Dolls not put their Personality Crisis on display, those gentlemen of whom I speak, also a boy band, may have been totally conventional, but that is not how things worked out. The RAMONES are my favorite band, and easily half of what they did falls into boy band territory. Mom is not believing it, perhaps you fine people will back me up?

Aaaaargh! I should have been asleep 3 hours ago, but I'm getting errors on my video export since 11:30pm. It's now nearly 2am. Crossing my fingers I can get my collab with @SumiUke on here at some point.

I actually managed to upload a partial video with the final 30 seconds missing and it just made me sad. And also, a little mad.

EDIT - The universe heard me and just set the clocks back one hour, so I only really lost 2 hours of sleep, which isn't too bad. lmao

Last edited:

Here it is, as promised. So, about 6 days ago, I asked Sumiko Courtney if she'd be interested in doing this song, which is from the fictional boy band in Pixar's Turning Red. The film is set in the early 2000s Toronto, so the music is heavily influenced by NSync & the Backstreet Boys. Now, I can't sing and I know it was a big ask to jump into doing multiple harmonies, so I didn't have very high hopes when I first broached the subject.

But here we are, 6 days later with harmonies galore! I let the voice handle most of those, but there are some thirds & octaves being played on the keys and the electric uke (which was a last minute addition at 10pm on a Saturday night)! Oddly enough, the uke sounds kinda synth-y to my ears on my first listen, but maybe my ears are just tired from recording / mixing / editing all night.

Anyway, I had a LOT of fun putting this together. I hope you guys like the song as much as I (we?) do.

I spent way way way too long today looking for a song that legitimately meets both themes, and finally settled on "Sloop John B". The Beach Boys surely qualify as a boy band, and I might be just spitballing here, but the narrator seems to have a desire to get home.

Right folks, a little over half a day left for any submissions. You’ve all shown such star quality this week I’m sure I’ll be back to host again before too long. Another long day at work tomorrow so I’ll sign off for the night and catch up tomorrow night. TTFN 👋

I just got home from playing ukuleles with my friend Bonnie, and yes, of course we made video, and yes, of course it meets both themes, and since there are minutes left to this one, I'm posting now and will come back and edit in the video as soon as it finishes uploading to YouTube.

Here we go:

Bonnie is my American friend who now is also my neighbor, so we decided we're going to meet every Monday afternoon to play ukuleles together. She's made two videos with me before, and now I expect you will see her more regularly.

The first song I thought of that would meet both this theme and 612's (going home) was Simon & Garfunkel's "Homeward Bound", which coincidentally was the first song Bonnie and ever did together, for 560, when the theme was also "home". (OMG, I also just discovered that was exactly one year ago today!)

That one wasn't happening today however, nor were several others we tried, and then Bonnie suggested "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles), by probably my all-time favorite boy (brothers) band, The Proclaimers.

Filmed on Bonnie's gorgeous back patio - maybe even nicer than my customary backdrop.

I made a playlist of our (three so far, more to come) Bonnie & Wendy hits.

Last edited:
Thanks Sabine, for bringing the curtain down on Season 611 in such style, and thanks to everyone who took part. A proper wrap to follow in a day or so.

Thank you all of you who took part this week, the wrap video is below. Some stuff I didn’t mention in the vid is the great range of Boy and Girl bands we had this week, we had the likes of The Revelers from Sabine, through the Boswell Sisters from Alan, lots of love ( rightly so ) shown for the Everleys. We also had Dion and the Belmonts, Beatles, Stones, Brothers Gibb, Herman’s Hermits, Bay City Rollers, Blur, The Ramones, A-Ha, Big Time Rush, Boyzone, Westlife, Take That, E17, 1D, McFly and NSYNC for the boys. The Chiffons, The Staves, The Cookies, Girls aloud, Sugarbabes, Runaways, The Ronettes, The Velvelettes, The Bangles, The Go-Gos, TLC and Shonen Knife for the girls. We also had a fictional boy band in 4 Town from the really excellent film Turning Red, so thanks Arvin and Courtney for that 👍. As always, thank you Rob @wee_ginga_yin for raiding your fabulous back catalogue for us. Fab originals from Wendy, Joo and Berni. The winners this week of the little prizes are @UkeCan1 Wendy, and @Oldscruggsfan. If you want me to send these out to you please message me your details. Thank you all again.

Last edited:
Nice wrap John! @One Man And His Uke
The first thing i noticed was the sloth and owl (is that a barn owl stuff toy ?) on the shelf behind you. (And the drawing of the dog on your mandolin(?) and your dog mug. Lots of cute animals in your music room!
And then you are giving away sloth badges! Oooohhh. I LOVE sloths too. (A bit jealous here but just a little haha!;--))
Congrats to Wendy and Oldscruggsfan!

The happy myopic spandex twins and i wanna say : THANK YOU for the fun week of music!

Thank you all of you who took part this week, the wrap video is below. Some stuff I didn’t mention in the vid is the great range of Boy and Girl bands we had this week, we had the likes of The Revelers from Sabine, through the Boswell Sisters from Alan, lots of love ( rightly so ) shown for the Everleys. We also had Dion and the Belmonts, Beatles, Stones, Brothers Gibb, Herman’s Hermits, Bay City Rollers, Blur, The Ramones, A-Ha, Big Time Rush, Boyzone, Westlife, Take That, E17, 1D, McFly and NSYNC for the boys. The Chiffons, The Staves, The Cookies, Girls aloud, Sugarbabes, Runaways, The Ronettes, The Velvelettes, The Bangles, The Go-Gos, TLC and Shonen Knife for the girls. We also had a fictional boy band in 4 Town from the really excellent film Turning Red, so thanks Arvin and Courtney for that 👍. As always, thank you Rob @wee_ginga_yin for raiding your fabulous back catalogue for us. Fab originals from Wendy, Joo and Berni. The winners this week of the little prizes are @UkeCan1 Wendy, and @Oldscruggsfan. If you want me to send these out to you please message me your details. Thank you all again.

Amazing! And a bit ironic, given that I won for always being so enthusiastic and all in ... and then I have dropped out of sight for the last week and am only just now seeing this after being away from the Seasons, suffering some bad seasonal allergies, as my body struggles to acclimatise to my new home country.

Thank you so much, John! I can't believe you chose little old me, especially since I'd had great plans to bring you so much more. In particular, I worked on the Josie and the Pussycats theme song, and discovered there's a '90s movie of them (which I hope to watch soon) with some really fantastic badass rocking girl band songs.

I also did a second song by an "old geezer boy band" at that Sunday open mic that I never got around to posting. I haven't been keeping up to the level I was before, so I feel a bit like those Oscar winners who you know are winning not so much for the current movie, but for all the past better ones where they didn't win. 😆

Thank you so much again, John! What an honour, and what a fun week you hosted. 💕

Last edited:
John, As much as I cringe to admit it, the reason I failed until today to post a proper “thank you” for Season 611 is that, for whatever reason (I really have no idea), I failed to read your “wrap” post. Particularly in light of all the great covers and originals, I’m humbled and flattered that you deemed Simple Gifts among the winners.

Congratulations, Wendy! :)

Top Bottom