Season 612 - Sing Me Back Home / Gram Parsons

I've had a busy few weeks working on a project, but I have finally carved out some time and my husband and I did '500 Miles'. I am playing my Guitarlele tuned in G. What a great theme this week, with so many beautiful song possibilities.

I'm back!
I first heard both Blue Bayou and the voice of the great Linda Ronstadt when I saw her episode of The Muppet Show. Linda's take on this has always been my favorite, and she's got great taste in frogs!

Linda is a goddess. My favorite singer. Saw her in a stadium show with Dolly and the Beach Boys. I can't imagine what a ticket to a show like that would cost now.
I loved that Muppets clip.

the person in Bobby's outstanding original doesn't give a f*** if he had 5 billion years or 5 hours....
I however find myself doing things as if I will have no chance to do it tomorrow.
Like this song by Elizabeth Cotten for example. I was learning to play her technique last night after work, not easy at all! Then I tried to use clawhammer to do it. Er....it's gonna take a bit of time. Maybe not 5 billion years.

Seeing Bobby showing off his uke-playing dog tee, I decided to show off my super cool Seasonista tee too, which Bobby sent me. (THANK YOU Bobby!) I reckon the time to record and share this song by Elizabeth Cotten is NOW, even if I can have 5 billion years, I am not gonna wait. (I opted for the easy option of straightforward strumming for now. I got the uke tuned F, C, E, G, and the chords I played are F, Bb and C7. Please strum and sing along with me!)

I have been revamping the library these past few days. Some serious re-arranging happening. That's why some of the shelves are sorta messy and half-occupied. And if you are thinking I am a giant, I work in a primary school library. :---)

An important item during such times is an ukulele, and a song or 2 to sing when breaks are needed, and breaks are necessary!

All the very best to your move back to your home country, Christopher. Must be lots happening for you. I am sure you won't forget to take your ukulele.

First time I've done a split screen, baritone uke and acoustic slide guitar in open D. The guitar is a 1951 Gibson LG-2..a good thing. The visual sync of guitar is a smidge out with the sound...but I hope it doesn't matter to you lot:) Tom Waits relying on his pony to get home.

Linda is a goddess. My favorite singer. Saw her in a stadium show with Dolly and the Beach Boys. I can't imagine what a ticket to a show like that would cost now.
I loved that Muppets clip.
Agree 100%
That concert lineup does not sound real! I can't even imagine!

We are about halfway through this season and I just want to tell you all how wonderful all the songs have been. I am very moved by your choices, by the emotional singing, and the musicianship you bring. There have also been many original tunes that exhibit all the above and more, since it seems as if you are keeping me in your thoughts and prayers as you wrote out those lines and melodies.

I am awed and humbled by your generosity.

Travelling Home, Gram Parsons, and Original Tunes (country or otherwise) are weaving into a beautiful tapestry that you all can be proud of.

I look forward to what else the second half of the season will bring.

the person in Bobby's outstanding original doesn't give a f*** if he had 5 billion years or 5 hours....
I however find myself doing things as if I will have no chance to do it tomorrow.
Like this song by Elizabeth Cotten for example. I was learning to play her technique last night after work, not easy at all! Then I tried to use clawhammer to do it. Er....it's gonna take a bit of time. Maybe not 5 billion years.

Seeing Bobby showing off his uke-playing dog tee, I decided to show off my super cool Seasonista tee too, which Bobby sent me. (THANK YOU Bobby!) I reckon the time to record and share this song by Elizabeth Cotten is NOW, even if I can have 5 billion years, I am not gonna wait. (I opted for the easy option of straightforward strumming for now. I got the uke tuned F, C, E, G, and the chords I played are F, Bb and C7. Please strum and sing along with me!)

I have been revamping the library these past few days. Some serious re-arranging happening. That's why some of the shelves are sorta messy and half-occupied. And if you are thinking I am a giant, I work in a primary school library. :---)

An important item during such times is an ukulele, and a song or 2 to sing when breaks are needed, and breaks are necessary!

All the very best to your move back to your home country, Christopher. Must be lots happening for you. I am sure you won't forget to take your ukulele.

With that foot stance at the beginning I fully expected a Pete Townsend windmill to start off the song.

• Haha
Reactions: joo
Listened to the Ms Cotten song by Joo and it brought to mind Climbing higher mountains trying to get home.

I sang it for the Pittsville Dirt Farmer who was having troubles with the Government... and said that the only prepping plans he had was faith. Apparently the the social services were trying to take his kids away from him, and were using his youtube videos as evidence against him

Last edited:
I've been a workin' on "Sing Me Back Home" for the past 3 days. On day one, I tried to learn and replicate Gram Parsons' version. Many takes, and a second day later, I tried the same with Merle Haggard's version. On day three, I tried just being me. I'm a little bit folk, and a little bit country, and so's my version.

Some more Gram Parsons! This song was written by Parsons and Chris Hillman. From Hillman:
Juanita was the sister of Arlo Guthrie’s wife. She was a great gal. She was at the Troubadour, one of the watering holes we used to go to all the time. There was a house we were living at in the valley. At the time, she was exactly as the song says – we were down in the dumps. We both could relate to this loneliness: “Then an angel appeared, she was just 17.” I don’t think she was really 17.

HOME - Van Steeden & Clarkson 1931

I learned this from a Cheap Suit Serenaders LP. Thanks for giving me an excuse to do this one Chris.
My apologies for my acrylic fingernails clacking on the top of my uke. They're great for clawhammer banjer and guitar, but a bit too much for the ukulele.

After our last collab, it was @SumiUke 's turn to pick a song to cover. She suggested this one from Regina Spektor. Her rough draft was the first time I had heard the song.

It was already a beautiful song, so all I had to do was not ruin it!

I kept it simple with some bass, cello, strings and some light piano. Not gonna lie, learning this took a few days. Lots of passing notes that doubles the lyrics. And since the cello also doubles the bass, my timing had to be good!

I had to scribble down a whole page of notes just to get through it the first time (you can see it on the yellow legal pad on my piano in the vid).

Anyway, I'm super proud of this one. I hope you guys like it!

IMG_20231108_211735.jpg

Last edited:
Bonjour encore une fois, Christopher! This song - which I've only just discovered - seems perfect for your theme this week. Sorry, following my cold, I still can't really sing - actually, this could be a permanent condition! - so I might have overcompensated with the reverb.

Last edited:
I like the images that go along with this song, a bullin the living room, a lion under the stairs in the basement. I imagine that the man in the song has had a turbulent relationship with the woman. He is a lizard, and the animals in the house though quite could turn nasty at any moment.

Together for the good times, but best separated when bad... don't you know that you silly girl.

Take me home you silly girl
Put your arms around me
All the world's not round without you
I'm so sorry that I broke your heart
Please don't leave my side
'Cause I'm still in love with you

Last edited:
There are lots of songs about finding your way home, homecoming, moving, and getting back to your roots. Anything along these lines will be appropriate.

Not sure if this one fits the theme for this week.
[G] [Em] [G] [Em]

[G] I get up in the [Em] evening, and I [G] ain't got [Em] nothing to [G] say
I come home in the [Em] morning,
[G] I go to bed [Em] feeling the same [C] way
I ain't nothing but [Am] tired,
[C] Man I'm just [Am] tired and bored with my [G] self
Hey there [Em] baby, [G] I could [Em] use just a little [D] help

[D] You can't start a fire, you can't start a fire without a [C] spark
This gun's for [Am] hire,
[C] even if we're just [Am] dancing in the [G] dark [Em]

[G] [Em]

[G] Messages keep getting [Em] clearer, [G] radio's on
and I'm [Em] moving around the [G] place
I check my look in the [Em] mirror,
[G] wanna change my [Em] clothes my hair my [C] face
Man I ain't getting [Am] nowhere, [C] I'm just [Am] living in a dump like [G] this
There's something happening [Em] somewhere,
[G] baby [Em] I just know that there [D] is

[D] You can't start a fire, you can't start a fire without a [C] spark
This gun's for [Am] hire,
[C] even if we're just [Am] dancing in the [G] dark [Em]

[G] [Em]

[Em] You sit around getting [G] older
[C] There's a joke here [D] somewhere and it's on [Em] me
I'll shake the world off my [G] shoulders
[C] Come on baby the [D] laughs on me

[G] Stay on the streets of [Em] this town, [G] and they'll be [Em] carving you up al [G] right
They say you gotta stay [Em] hungry, [G] Hey baby, I'm [Em] just about starving to [C] night
I'm dying for [Am] action, [C] sick of sitting round [Am] here trying to write this [G] book
I need a love re [Em]action, [G] Come on [Em] baby give me just one [D] look

[D] You can't start a fire, sitting round crying on a broken [C] heart
This gun's for [Am] hire, [C] even if we're just [Am] dancing in the [G] dark

[G] [Em]

[D] You can't start a fire, worrying about your little world falling a [C] part
This gun's for [Am] hire, [C] even if we're just [Am] dancing in the [G] dark [Em]
[G] Even if we're just [Em] dancing in the [G] dark [Em] x 4

Top Bottom