Season 613 - Too Old To Die Young Now

Most Lindisfarne songs were written by Alan Hull. This one, on the other hand, was written by Rod Clements and Marty Craggs, and appeared on their 1989 album Amigos. I think it's a lovely song and ought to be better known. Anyway, Rod Clements will be 76 on Friday, so happy birthday Rod! Also a few months ago on a Sunday afternoon I was in Newcastle and accidentally stumbled on a Marty Craggs gig so I delayed my journey back up to Scotland by a few hours so I could enjoy it. He co-wrote this song, but I don't know when his birthday is. Anyway. The song. I had an audience for this one:

In a sad coincidence, Friday is also the anniversary of the death in 1995 of Alan Hull.

Another day in Season 613.

• Brian posted a swinging self-penned Wind. I'll be listening to this one some more.
  • Rob's song, Gardener's Delight, introduced us to a bunch of his on-line buddies from a gardening site.
  • The Uke Yanks, Wendy & Bonnie, gave us an impressive version of Dancing Queen.
  • I really liked Chris's talking blues style rendering of It's Tricky while dueting with his metronome. (We know another Chris who does this.)
  • And speaking of ukers named Chris, Chris667 gave us the lovely old standard, On The Sunny Side Of The Street. Listen for the cool triplets and mouth trumpet.
  • Thanks for taking the time to multi-track some harmonies and a solo Edwin. Nice version (the only one I've heard) of Roll On That Day.

I put Wendy's Livin' On A Prayer and Chris's St Louis Blues comments above, where they intended to post them.

Last edited:
I put Wendy's Livin' On A Prayer and Chris's St Louis Blues comments above, where they intended to post them.
Did you? Where? I don't actually see your comments on either song anywhere on the thread. Maybe you did what I did? I think the Submit button has maybe become less reliable than it used to be. 🤷‍♀️

Another original about a couple of vegans who lived in Chang Mai in Thailand. I still follow the Vegetable Police who aspires to be a vegan health guru but flips flops between veganism, and when his flatulence becomes too much for him he, reverts to carnivorous cravings to stop the obnoxious emmisions of satanic sulphur.

Last edited:
Oops, I goofed! Beware that very handy link that Val posted has a few errors. (Edit: No it doesn't, it was user error! = me.) I've been using it to choose my "birthday artist of the day", and from it I chose Bryan Adams for today, November 16th. I only thought to confirm after I made and posted the video.

Turns out he turned 64 on November 5th!

(Amazingly, he shares that birthday with singer Ryan Adams, with whom he is frequently confused.)

So I'm invoking the Thornton Rule. It was an honest mistake ... and led to a fun happy little creation.

You just know when I see "6-string" in a song I'm gonna ukify it. Within minutes I'd gone full parody.

Here's me and my first ever ukulele "Tiki Uki" (a Tiki King Flea by Magic Fluke), bought at the first ever New Jersey Ukulele Festival, debuting our new "Summer of '69" parody, "Summer of 2013".

And, if you can stand it and want a laugh, I also posted the previous take, where the bird chorus got EXTREMELY loud. Don't say I didn't warn ya.

Last edited:
Double oops ... the link wasn't wrong, I just misread it. The guy who's birthday is today is Bryan Abrams, not Bryan Adams! The mistake was totally mine.

Even funnier, I was wondering why no one else had done any Bryan Adams yet! Because he doesn't qualify, that's why!

<Skulks off in embarrassment 😆>

I'm not removing the Bryan Adams parody, because it's a happy song about playing ukulele, and it's really fun and I'm proud of it. (It's absolutely going into repertoire!)

But I did still feel like I hadn't actually met my commitment to celebrate a genuine birthday-artist-of-the-day for today.

Without Bryan, the Nov 16 selections got a lot harder. Diana Krall is a Canadian jazz singer and pianist (so, bonus points? 😁), the only jazz singer to have had 8 albums at the top of the Billboard Jazz Albums charts.

Consequently, like most jazz singers, she does mostly covers and has covered virtually every song under the sun. So I decided to pick one from her fascinatingly varied Greatest Hits album.

So here's 10cc's "I'm Not in Love", which has been on my fun-to-do-someday mental list, and which I think benefits from the outdoors-after-dark recording treatment.

(Recorded not long after the still-daylight raucous-bird-chorus song I just did. Notice how quiet it's gotten!)

Double oops ... the link wasn't wrong, I just misread it. The guy who's birthday is today is Bryan Abrams, not Bryan Adams! The mistake was totally mine.

Even funnier, I was wondering why no one else had done any Bryan Adams yet! Because he doesn't qualify, that's why!

I still get Agnetha & Anni-Frid of ABBA confused, even though they look nothing like each other, or at least they didn't! Face-blindness has its drawbacks!

Abrams/Adams is a legitimate mistake Wendy, and falls within the Thornton rule. I'll add your videos to the Playlist.
(My very first post on the Seasons was allowed under the Thornton Rule.)

Hi everyone, Luke Kelly was born in Dublin on 17 november 1940 and was, together with Ronnie Drew, cofounder of "The Dubliners".
There are several videos in which he sings a traditional irish song called "The foggy dew".
This time, since I think my ukulele sings better than me 😅, I decided to offer you an instrumental arrangement of The foggy dew.
Hope you like it

So, I can get two artists involved with birthdays this week for Blue Skies. Firstly, Eddie Condon covered the song. Secondly, Willie Nelson covered the song on the album Stardust which was produced by Booker T. Jones. I think my take is most inspired by Willie Nelson's. Here it is.

[Edit: I don't think I've broken the one song per day rule UK time as it's after midnight now, but this is of course the host's prerogative. I know I can't post another Friday song, unless it's after midnight and so counting as Saturday!]

Last edited:
Reactions: joo
Abrams/Adams is a legitimate mistake Wendy, and falls within the Thornton rule. I'll add your videos to the Playlist.
(My very first post on the Seasons was allowed under the Thornton Rule.)
The number of times I looked at that listing (dozens!), where it clearly says Abrams, and I distinctly saw Adams, I find rather shocking. Especially since I pride myself on excellent spelling, accurate reading, and meticulous attention to those kinds of details. The human mind is an amazing instrument.

"Don't believe what you think" is really great advice.

[Edit: I don't think I've broken the one song per day rule UK time as it's after midnight now, but this is of course the host's prerogative. I know I can't post another Friday song, unless it's after midnight and so counting as Saturday!]
Oh dear - is there a one-song-a-day limit?! I'm so sorry, I totally missed that. That makes my Bryan Adams error yesterday a triple oops now, because I "corrected" it with Diana Krall. 😬

And I really do want to finish out the #BirthdayArtistOfTheDay project the rest of this week. (Including the 20th, if the host won't totally banish me from the island!)

Happy 77th this fine Nov 17, to Martin Barre (despite my confusion on the video), lead guitarist of Jethro Tull, today's #BirthdayArtistOfTheDay.

It seems a bit sacrilegious to cover Tull on the ukulele sans flute, but I gots what I gots, and what I gots is a ukulele. Maybe Sabine will collaborate with me on a future version? 😁

In spite of that gaping hole, I think I did a creditable job of capturing the basic feel of the song, the relentless driving train rhythm and the rockiness of it all, for the tools I had at hand.

Here's a happy little train song from Jethro Tull, "Locomotive Breath".

PS, I made a Birthday Artist of the Day playlist.

Oh dear - is there a one-song-a-day limit?! I'm so sorry, I totally missed that. That makes my Bryan Adams error yesterday a triple oops now, because I "corrected" it with Diana Krall. 😬

And I really do want to finish out the #BirthdayArtistOfTheDay project the rest of this week. (Including the 20th, if the host won't totally banish me from the island!)
You're forgiven, but only one a day from here on and you must treat me to a laugh each day.

Well, on the last day of my holiday, I've developed a cough. I did a covid test, and it isn't covid.

I would have preferred other souvenirs, but that's OK. Have been downstairs on the sofa all night because I didn't want to disturb my partner. At least plenty of time to play the uke!

I kept playing this, then having to abandon it because of a coughing fit. So it's take 3,931. Still. I love this song. Eddie Condon played it on an album and it would have been his birthday this week.

Last edited:
12 bar blues (originals)
Bukowski Poem: No leaders, please

invent yourself and then reinvent yourself,
don't swim in the same slough.
invent yourself and then reinvent yourself
and stay out of the clutches of mediocrity.
invent yourself and then reinvent yourself,
change your tone and shape so often that they can never categorize you.
reinvigorate yourself and accept what is
but only on the terms that you have invented and reinvented.
be self-taught.
and reinvent your life because you must;
it is your life and its history
and the present belong only to
you.

• Love
Reactions: joo
Top Bottom