Season 613 - Too Old To Die Young Now

Rob's (@wee_ginga_yin) birthday is 19 Nov.
Today I tried playing one of his originals called It Hurts My Brain with a cheap ukulele ornament that I bought yesterday. (it does not stay in tune, which makes it great for silly songs. I had to be very careful not to break it though, while strumming...)

Here is a little birthday song for you, Rob!

Hello again, Jim ... and my apologies; I have been woefully absent this week owing to problems with uncooperative cats and cars. All good again now and I have a lot of listening to catch up on. This song was covered by Petula Clark, who is a goldmine for anyone still looking for something to sing ... according to "Second Hand Songs" she has covered over 500 songs! I had a gatecrasher about halfway through this ...

Rob's (@wee_ginga_yin) birthday is 19 Nov.
Today I tried playing one of his originals called It Hurts My Brain with a cheap ukulele ornament that I bought yesterday. (it does not stay in tune, which makes it great for silly songs. I had to be very careful not to break it though, while strumming...)

Here is a little birthday song for you, Rob!

it's not the cough that carries you off but the coffin that they carry you off in

I added my comments on yesterday's submissions to the comment above Bobby's submission, but they have disappeared. This has happened to me a couple of times this week; edits have returned to the original post while my back was turned and there seems to be no way to retrieve them.
End of rant

Here is a rundown of yesterday's posts:

• Rob put on his orange vegetarian shirt and sang us a song about two vegans far from home in The Brett & Kasey Tango. I was pleased to hear that one of his vegans was from Toronto. While I have never lived in Toronto, I have a wife and two kids who have.
  • Wendy sang us a parody called Summer of 2013 after confusing two Bryans, Abrams and Adams. I've applied a rule that I just learned about, The Thornton Rule, and allowed them on the playlist. She also added from the wonderful Canuck singer/pianist I'm Not In Love and since I am a Diana Krall fan, and a fan of Wendy's laughter, it will also appear on the Playlist.
  • Paul's submission of I Believe In Miracles sent me downstairs for a cup of hot chocolate; the power of suggestion.
  • Ale gave us a wonderful instrumental rendition of The Foggy Dew. Maggie introduced me to The Dubliners when we merged our record collections 4 decades ago.
  • Paul made a second submission this week with Blue Skies, but it's a favourite of mine and I couldn't bear to leave it off the Playlist.

That's it for yesterday's songs.

P.S. - I am not really sure about the actual definition of the Thonton Rule, but perhaps someone who has been here longer than I have could fill me (us?) in.

RIP Gordon Lightfoot, (November 17, 1938 – May 1, 2023)
He stayed true to his Canadian roots while his contemporaries like Neil Young and Joni Mitchell basically became Americans
Early Morning Rain

If You Could Read My Mind

Last edited:
Today would have been Gene Clark's birthday so I thought I would play a song he wrote for the Byrds, I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better. I hadn't played my Bonanza for a while so I brought it out and played a bit wondering why it sounded so different. When I went to tune it I realized it was tuned down half a step so I left it like that. I had a bugger of a time getting a half-way decent take on this song and this one was the best I could do.

Thanks for hosting, Jim! :)

Birthdays are fun occasions - cake, presents, family, friends, singing and partying - right? Well, here’s your resident party pooper to remind you that’s not always the case. An original song from me, with some added synth bass and pads, and some vocal harmonies too.

i don't think I have paid any attention to Gene Clark's songs before....
But I listened to Bobby's cover of With Tomorrow and I thought I would check out his songs.
And I did this morning. I listened to 2 and this was the second one I heard. Immediately sat down to record it.
I did get changed out of my PJs....
Audio sorta noisy and uke was bit too boomy (still getting to know this boy, yeah it's a boy..).
I applied noise reduction and the end result was not the most pleasing but at least my voice was clear enough.
Gene didn't write this song, it was written by Phil Ochs with Carla Olson. Phil is another person I might have to check out a bit more..
I have heard a few of his songs...and I think Wim (xommen) has covered him once or twice before...
Gene's birthday was 17 Nov, 1944.

OK. back to washing and housework.

You're forgiven, but only one a day from here on and you must treat me to a laugh each day.

OM-F-ing-G! You might think I'd have learned the first time, but no! After I realized the Bryan Adams / Abrams mistake was my fault, I decided I could trust Val's uber-helpful link again ... but it turns out that it too does indeed contain the occasional error.

For today, Nov 18, it listed guitarist John McFee of the Doobie Brothers as turning 70 today, but when you click on the link to his name ... which of course I didn't think I needed to do until after I'd learned and recorded a Doobie Brothers song ... you discover that he in fact turned 73 on ... September 9th!

In deference to your hostly request to not do again what I just did again, I'll only link the unqualified song (in case anyone's curious), and enter only the second song I did today, which does qualify.

Hopefully both are good for a laugh ... or probably I've already made you laugh with my silliness of messing up my #BirthdayArtistOfTheDay project twice in three days!

I PROMISE (to myself as much as anyone!) to always confirm birthdays from now on before I learn the song!)

The unqualified Doobie Brothers song was "Listen to the Music".

I came home from the local outdoor market this morning, put my new purchases in the fridge, made that video, then went back to the market with two ukuleles, because one of the vendors, Sophia, had said she plays some guitar, and I promised to show her how easy and fun the ukulele is. I quickly taught her the second song I always teach beginners, "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" (C-F-C-G7 all the way through). I'd hope to entice her to make video with me, because The Tokens are a birthday artist this week (I think!), but she had to pack up.

Then I returned home, and made an actual Nov 18th #BirthdayArtistOfTheDay video.

Phew!

Here's "I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major General", from "The Pirates of Penzance" by Gilbert and Sullivan. The immortal William S Gilbert would be 187 today, were he indeed literally immortal.

I added my comments on yesterday's submissions to the comment above Bobby's submission, but they have disappeared. This has happened to me a couple of times this week; edits have returned to the original post while my back was turned and there seems to be no way to retrieve them.
End of rant
P.S. - I am not really sure about the actual definition of the Thonton Rule, but perhaps someone who has been here longer than I have could fill me (us?) in.

Re disappearing edits: I wonder if that's what happened to the post I was sure I had made the day before? And that I was only saved because the draft was still in the browser on my other phone?

Re Thornton Rule: It was named for longtime Seasonista and frequent host Alan Thornton, who, I believe used to both invoke it on other people's Seasons and allow it in his own. I always understood it to mean, basically, if you're moved to submit a song that doesn't quite meet the theme, and rigid adherence to the theme would stifle your self-expression and creativity, or keep your from participating, go ahead and do it. It was kind of an "anything goes" kind of rule, meant not to be abused, but to allow friendly deviations in the spirit of the Seasons.

Others might have a different take on it, but that's how I've understood it.

When I hosted 150 ("New Year, New Jersey"), I called it the Sinatra Rule that week ("I did it My Way"), because Sinatra was from NJ ... and we New Jerseyans are scofflaws and rule breakers by nature. 😁

Anyway, Jim - I hope I've provided you at least one good laugh today! 💕

• Love
Reactions: joo
Dorothy Parker poem set to music (WeeOriginal)

Dorothy Parker is well know for her short abrasive poems, that usually raise a wry smile when she dissects human relationships.

Happy Birthday, Old Man.

Well, we're getting close to the end of Season 613 so I am gonna allow free interpretation of the Thornton Rule (See Wendy's explanation above), since I can't bring myself to intentionally leave any video off the playlist. If I have accidentally left anyone off, please let me know.Yesterday was a busy one and I was tired right out, so here are the tunes we heard yesterday (plus a few that greeted me this morning):

• Wendy started us off with a Jethro Tull song, Locomotive Breath. A great interpretation, but we both thought a second version with Sabine chanelling Ian Anderson might be in order.
  • A guy who looked a bit like Bobby, but without the yellow shades, gave us a Gene Clark song, With Tomorrow, making his 8-string uke sound very close to a 12-string guitar.
  • For Eddie Condon's birthday, we got a sweet rendition Sugar from Chris. (See what I did there?) Eddie played a close relative to the ukulele, a 4 string plectrum guitar.
  • Rob re-posted a Charles Bukowski poem, Re-invent Yourself, set to music wearing a wonderfulsweatshirt that I wish I'd had for Pride Week.
  • With an attractive new haircut, Joo gave us a rendition of birthday boy Rob's It Hurts My Brain, then sang him a birthday song.
  • Val took a while to join us this week, but it was worth the wait to get her version of Love Me Tender. No, it's not Elvis's birthday, but Petula Clark also sang this song and she does have a birthday this week.
  • Michael gave us a couple of Gord Lightfoot songs, one vocal, Early Morning Rain, and one instrumental, If You Could Read My Mind. I hope we hear a lot more from Michael.
  • And from Scott, we got a super version of I Feel A Whole Lot Better, a song that Gene Clark wrote for The Byrds.
  • Del gave us an original birthday song, One Day. Del labeled himself our "resident party pooper", but I always feel better after hearing him perform.
  • I am a long time fan of Phil Ochs and loved Joo's rendition of Changes. I was unaware that Gene Clrk had recorded this.
  • Then we had Wendy's version of I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major General. You shoulda been an auctioneer Wendy. Gord Lightfoot sang Leroy Van Dyke's The Auctioneer and you still have time to get it in.
  • Rob made a song of a poem by one of my dad's favourite poets, Dorothy Parker. Sit by the fire and listen to Unfortunate Coincidence.
  • And Joko gave us another song from the most covered singer/song-writer of Season 613, Neil Young's Old Man.

Well, we're getting close to the end of Season 613 so I am gonna allow free interpretation of the Thornton Rule (See Wendy's explanation above), since I can't bring myself to intentionally leave any video off the playlist. If I have accidentally left anyone off, please let me know.Yesterday was a busy one and I was tired right out, so here are the tunes we heard yesterday (plus a few that greeted me this morning):

• Wendy started us off with a Jethro Tull song, Locomotive Breath. A great interpretation, but we both thought a second version with Sabine chanelling Ian Anderson might be in order.
  • A guy who looked a bit like Bobby, but without the yellow shades, gave us a Gene Clark song, With Tomorrow, making his 8-string uke sound very close to a 12-string guitar.
  • For Eddie Condon's birthday, we got a sweet rendition Sugar from Chris. (See what I did there?) Eddie played a close relative to the ukulele, a 4 string plectrum guitar.
  • Rob re-posted a Charles Bukowski poem, Re-invent Yourself, set to music wearing a wonderfulsweatshirt that I wish I'd had for Pride Week.
  • With an attractive new haircut, Joo gave us a rendition of birthday boy Rob's It Hurts My Brain, then sang him a birthday song.
  • Val took a while to join us this week, but it was worth the wait to get her version of Love Me Tender. No, it's not Elvis's birthday, but Petula Clark also sang this song and she does have a birthday this week.
  • Michael gave us a couple of Gord Lightfoot songs, one vocal, Early Morning Rain, and one instrumental, If You Could Read My Mind. I hope we hear a lot more from Michael.
  • And from Scott, we got a super version of I Feel A Whole Lot Better, a song that Gene Clark wrote for The Byrds.
  • Del gave us an original birthday song, One Day. Del labeled himself our "resident party pooper", but I always feel better after hearing him perform.
  • I am a long time fan of Phil Ochs and loved Joo's rendition of Changes. I was unaware that Gene Clrk had recorded this.
  • Then we had Wendy's version of I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major General. You shoulda been an auctioneer Wendy. Gord Lightfoot sang Leroy Van Dyke's The Auctioneer and you still have time to get it in.
  • Rob made a song of a poem by one of my dad's favourite poets, Dorothy Parker. Sit by the fire and listen to Unfortunate Coincidence.
  • And Joko gave us another song from the most covered singer/song-writer of Season 613, Neil Young's Old Man.
regarding Joo's new haircut I pondered did Marlena Dietrich ever sing "where has all the hair gone"

New Season is up, for those who are interested. No songs before midnight Hawaii time tonight though please.

Darktown Strutters' Ball - Shelton Brooks

Well the new season starts tomorrow and this one ends tomorrow. I haven't made any contributions to my own season yet, but I'm here to remedy that.
Eddie Condon was born November 16, 1905. Eddie was a jazz guitarist who played a 4 string plectrum guitar, a distant cousin of the ukulele.
I have one Eddie Condon LP set, recorded over two days in March, 1944. One of those days, March 30, 1944, was the day that little Jimmy Yates was born in Kingston General Hospital and one of the songs on this LP was Darktown Strutters' Ball, written by Shelton Brooks, who was born in 1886 in Amherstburg, Ontario, at the west end of Lake Erie and about as far south as you can go and still be in Canada.

Eddie Condon March 1944.jpg

Although there is no kazoo on Eddie's 1944 rendition of Darktown Strutters' Ball, he has made recordings of this tune featuring the kazoo and Del will be pleased to know that they can be found on YouTube.

Last edited:
Today's #BirthdayArtistOfTheDay is Fred Lipsius, original saxophonist and arranger for Blood, Sweat & Tears. Fred turns 80 today, Nov 19.

Here's a somewhat simplified version of "Spinning Wheel".

This completes my Nov 12-19 #BirthdayArtistOfTheDay set for the theme as stated ... I did it!

I'm just gonna let you know right now ... I intend to invoke the Thornton Rule tomorrow and cover a Nov 20 #BirthdayArtistOfTheDay, since the last 20 hours of the Season in my part of the world fall on the 20th.

It's been fun ... I might just continue. But it's going to be pretty close to impossible to find ones that meet Andy's theme, so maybe not. I'll see how it goes.

A few random strangers (some friendly, some trolly) have been commenting on my channel this week, and my views are up. I have no idea whether it's related to this theme, the #BirthdayArtistOfTheDay, some specific video I did that for attention, or just a change in the YouTube algorithm. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this on your channels?

Last edited:
If it's a particular song, it's "Locomotive Breath". That one is getting way more views than any other video I've done recently. Looks like it might be a runaway train, that one! 🚂😆

I played it for the Seasonista Zoom open mic this morning, and it was enthusiastically received. I'm clearly gonna have to polish it up and play it out locally!

If it's a particular song, it's "Locomotive Breath". That one is getting way more views than any other video I've done recently. Looks like it might be a runaway train, that one! 🚂😆

I played it for the Seasonista Zoom open mic this morning, and it was enthusiastically received. I'm clearly gonna have to polish it up and play it out locally!
That was a good'n Wendy. I think it's about time for another Season of Train Songs. You'd be a great host for that.

Petula Clark will be 91 on Wednesday. As recently as January this year she was still performing, doing eight shows a week as The Bird Lady in the London stage production of Mary Poppins. Here's the song -

Careful Steve. That can get dangerous.
Feed The Birds.jpg
They say more people are killed by pigeons than by sharks.

(Nah, I just made that up.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom