Season 614 - Music scene is crazy...

Desert Pavement

Rock Doctor
UU VIP
Reaction score
...bands start up each and every day.

Hello Seasonistas past, present, and future. This weeks theme is based on the above Pavement lyric (thread title and bolded first line of this post). Bands are formed, the individual members have creative or other differences, those bands break up, and often some of those members go off and form new bands. This week I would like you to please bring songs from bands that either broke up before some of the members hitting it big with a new band, or, bands that formed when a very popular band broke up and the band members went their separate ways. Solo acts are out of bounds.

Edit: Which band was bigger? This is a judgement call and your judgement carries the day here.

This Wikipedia page might be a decent place to start...

As an example, using a band that pops up a lot in this space - several members of the Beatles were in an earlier group called The Quarrymen, several members of which went off to do other things prior to John, Paul, and George renaming the lineup as The Beatles. After the Beatles broke up, Paul McCartney formed a new band called Wings. On this example, songs by The Quarrymen or Wings qualify, but songs by The Beatles do not. Nor do songs sung by George Harrison in his solo career The Travellng Wilburys would be ok though.

Originals are always welcome. Given that this Season overlaps with the American holiday of Thanksgiving, please bring me originals written around the themes of thanks or gratitude. Could be anything from serious to silly, large or small, as long as it expresses some sort of gratitude.

If you are unfamiliar with the Seasons in general, then Welcome! You can find more information and answers to some FAQ's in this thread (which is also pinned at the top of the Seasons of the Ukulele forum section). Otherwise the usual rules apply:
  • Season starts and ends at midnight Hawaii time on 19 November and 26 November, respectively
  • New recordings only please, except for Rob, who may select something from his back catalog
  • Please speak, write, or otherwise indicate that your new recording is for Season 614
  • Multitracks are ok, but uke should be front and center
  • Collaborations are likewise welcome
  • Do your best to listen to and comment on everyone's song videos. Please be respectful and encouraging when you do.
    • My preference is to comment on songs in YouTube. But comments are ok here if you must.
Please, post no more than one song per day.

PLAYLIST (should work now)

Last edited:
Thanks for hosting, Andy!
I know no band off my head that fits your theme.
After asking Google for help, the few bands that interested me have nothing online...
I will look around some more and bring something...

You know the band Red House Painters? I used to listen to them a lot. Love Mark Kozelek's voice.
Well, one day Red House Painters was no more, but members went on to form Sun Kil Moon.
So, will you accept any songs from Sun Kil Moon?

I thought this might be the perfect theme song for this Season.

"Band on the Run" by Paul McCartney and Wings.

It got a little rough toward the end there.

I agree with others, Andy. This is a tough theme unless one knows a ton of musical history, and search didn't reveal a heck of a lot. Maybe you have some resources to help us?

Hello, Andy and thanks for hosting! I seem to be unseasonably early ... there's only an eleven-hour time difference between France and Hawaii at the moment; I thought it was normally twelve hours. Anyway, I went for an easy option here - it IS quite a difficult theme, if, like me, you are a bit hazy about who has been in which band. I love this song - AND The Travelling Wilburys! I hope I haven't ruined too much ...

Last edited:
I'm stumped! I'm having a very hard time coming up with something that would fit this weeks theme. I'll probably have to figure out a Wings or Traveling Wilbury's tune.

Lessee... Waylon Jennings played bass with The Crickets, Lou Reed was in Velvet Underground, there were Buffalo Springfield, The Byrds, CSNY, Poco, Traffic...

All off of the top of my head, without doing any research.

I'll see if I can do something this week... Things have been busy, as usual.

Reactions: TCK
Lessee... Waylon Jennings played bass with The Crickets, Lou Reed was in Velvet Underground, there were Buffalo Springfield, The Byrds, CSNY, Poco, Traffic...

All off of the top of my head, without doing any research.

I'll see if I can do something this week... Things have been busy, as usual.
I'm not sure I'm understanding the qualifications. Waylon Jennings was with the Crickets but Waylon Jennings wasn't a band and in this instance the Crickets wouldn't count? Same with Lou Reed. He wasn't a band and the Velvet Underground wouldn't count? Buffalo Springfield, The Byrds, CSNY, Poco and Traffic were all pretty famous bands but what would determine which is the non-qualifying band and which is the qualifying offshoot?

Last edited:
Thanks for hosting, Andy!
I know no band off my head that fits your theme.
After asking Google for help, the few bands that interested me have nothing online...
I will look around some more and bring something...

You know the band Red House Painters? I used to listen to them a lot. Love Mark Kozelek's voice.
Well, one day Red House Painters was no more, but members went on to form Sun Kil Moon.
So, will you accept any songs from Sun Kil Moon?
Hi Joo, yes absolutely

• Love
Reactions: joo
please bring me originals written around the themes of thanks or gratitude. Could be anything from serious to silly, large or small, as long as it expresses some sort of gratitude.
Here is a gratitude song.
i wanna thank a cat called Mr T.
Mr T walked into my life last October. He literally walked into my flat and jumped onto the couch and made himself at home.
since then, he comes and goes as he pleases. but he is here every morning at 6AM for his brekkie.
i have no need to set an alarm to get up for work ever since.
he has many fans in my neighbourhood. fans, feeders, friends. i think he is quite a happy cat.
here are the lyrics:
Super long whiskers
Black spots on his lip and nose
One ear tip snipped off way too low
People tell me
He's here only for his treats
But the way he headbutts me tells me he loves me
Ginger miniature tiger darling
Ginger miniature tiger darling
Thank you for adopting me!
He likes to sleep with his belly facing up
8 kg of him all spread out
His life philosophy is-
Everywhere is my home
And I'm friends with everybody.

Buffalo Springfield, The Byrds, CSNY, Poco and Traffic were all famous bands but what would determine which is the non-qualifying band and which is the qualifying offshoot?
Apologies if you’re having trouble, that wasn’t my intent. As to Mikelz’s question here; this is 100% a judgment call and I should have been explicit that I will defer to your judgement. I will amend the OP

In the meantime I will try and hunt down some resources. When I find something I will also add to the OP.

Terry Hall was the singer with The Specials, big for a couple of years around 1980. After they broke up, he went on to be in The Fun Boy Three and then The Colourfield, who had a hit with this one.

Looking at the Wikipedia page you linked to I was drawn to Lost Dogs being mentioned there, as I love their music. They where formed from member of several other Christian Bands including the Choir, the 77s and Adam Again (originally). This is called Scenic Routes.

I think at least the Choir is more known then the Lost Dogs, and they still exist.

Reactions: joo
Apologies if you’re having trouble, that wasn’t my intent. As to Mikelz’s question here; this is 100% a judgment call and I should have been explicit that I will defer to your judgement. I will amend the OP

In the meantime I will try and hunt down some resources. When I find something I will also add to the OP.
The earlier link was helpful. But one suggestion is to find a song from a band you like, and then see if members of that group were in previous (identifiable … subjective, I know) bands.

Some examples —Crowded House (Split Enz); Rockpile (Brinsley Schwarz, Love Sculpture); Huey Lewis and The News (Clover); Fun Boy Three (Specials); Fine Young Cannibals (English Beat); Traffic/Blind Faith (Spencer Davis Group); Traveling Wilburys (too many to name); Bangles (Runaways); etc.

Wikipedia is your friend.

Adding Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, Wilco trifecta to the list of possibilities this week. Have to do some difficult adulting this afternoon but y’all will get to Watch Me Fall shortly.
For my reggae loving friends, The Vikings, Maytals, Toots and the Maytals trifecta works as well. Be back with more later 😉

EDIT- Shoot, how did I skip these two for my punk rockers?
Minor Threat- Fugazi
Husker Du- Sugar
Sex Pistols- Public Image Limited
The Clash - Big Audio Dynamite- Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros

SECOND EDIT- OK, my head is now solidly in the game. Yardbirds - Led Zeppelin.

THIRD EDIT from Melissa. Andy Bell, Depeche Mode, Yazoo, Erasure.

Ok, stopping for now.

Again, lies. Joy Division- New Order
And Dave Grohl. Nirvana, Tenacious D, Foo Fighters

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'm understanding the qualifications. Waylon Jennings was with the Crickets but Waylon Jennings wasn't a band and in this instance the Crickets wouldn't count? Same with Lou Reed. He wasn't a band and the Velvet Underground wouldn't count? Buffalo Springfield, The Byrds, CSNY, Poco and Traffic were all pretty famous bands but what would determine which is the non-qualifying band and which is the qualifying offshoot?
I'll give you Lou Reed, but Waylon Jennings performed as part of "The Highwaymen", with Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, and Kris Kristofferson - They released 3 albums. The rest all had members that left and were then part of other famous bands after the fact. Which were more famous, or better? i dunno.

Were the Hollies better with or without Graham Nash? Could there have been an analog of CSN/CSNY without Graham Nash? Steve Winwood performed with the Spencer Davis Group, two versions of Traffic, and Blind Faith. Which was the better band?

All your choice, all your decision.

Hmm.. How about album long collaborations between a group of solo artists ( not a bunch of duets) and then the artists go long to do full album collaborations with other artists? Example Emmylou Harris in Trio with Tons tart and Parton, then doing an album with Rodney Crowell?

Top Bottom