Season 614 - Music scene is crazy...

Some great stuff here!

Now it's my turn to mess it all up.

My cough's not gone away - I've only had about an hour's sleep a day for a week now. Normal service will be resumed in a few days, but until then I'm on the sofa not doing much.

This is an original written when Gwin went to fetch a takeaway for dinner - we've had a tiler over to redo our kitchen floor, so the kitchen has been out of bounds. I thought of the words while she was going to get it for me and when the lungbusting woke me up I decided to get my 4-track out and record it. It's very rough, obvs. Can you hear me trying not to cough at the end?

I will redo it again soon, with higher production values and a new verse - of course, I do need to do a verse about my teeth.

Last edited:
Hello again, Andy! I didn't mean to come back so quickly, but I should have been sorting out an insurance claim, so it was obviously far more enticing to attempt another song instead. I am under no illusions that I am the new Mark Knopfler, but I have loved this song forever and it just so happens that whilst the other three members of "Dire Straits'" had all previously been gainfully employed in "proper" jobs, the fourth member, drummer, Pick Withers had already had 10 years' experience in the music industry including being in a group called "Spring."

Last edited:
Jug Band Music - Memphis Jug Band 1934

Maria D'Amato was another member of the Even Dozen Jug Band who moved on after the band stopped playing together. She sang and played fiddle and guitar and her next project was the Jim Kweskin Jug Band where she fell for the washboard player, Geof Muldaur, and they became a couple and she became Maria Muldaur. The Jim Kweskin Jug Band did a great version of the Memphis Jug Band's song, Jug Band Music.
Maria D'Amato with fiddle.jpg

Another Even Dozen alumnus, John Sebastian, wrote an entirely different song with the same title, Jug Band Music. which was recorded by the Lovin' Spoonful.

It's been over a week since this song was on SOTU😀, From a band that most people know the members, but didn't know the band existed - the Stills-Young band. The spiritual successor to the Buffalo Springfield from the shattered remains of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

Long May You Run

For those of you who are folk fans, check out the Fairport Convention Family Tree - they are possibly the group which has spawned more sub-groups than any other in that genre. Then, of course, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers is the classic group`that spawned so many others.

Funny you mention Fairport Berni, just today I was thinking about The Bunch, made up of various alumni from Fairport and Fortheringay.

Spencer Davis Group hit single in 1965
The Spencer Davis group visited Finland and they were amazed a some of the songs being sung, but more importantly the novel percussive elements to the performances by the famous Finnish trio Jätkat. They had never seen knee length boots filled with warm porridge so that when the one string bass player stomped down they boots gave this squelchy augmentation, or the fact that a carrot grater could be used to get a unique rasping sound. Keep on running was purloined by Stevie Winwood an became a hit in 1965.
Here I try to produce the original finnish recording which is not quite authentic since I use tapioca pudding in the boots instead of porridge.

American band Red House Painters dissolved in 2001 and 2 of the members, together with 2 other musicians, formed Sun Kil Moon in 2002.
I was gonna try to bring a Sun Kil Moon song but then I thought about it and chose a Red House Painters song instead.
I thought that since Sun Kil Moon is still active, the chance of them becoming bigger than Red House Painters is THERE.
Maybe i am applying the Thornton rule here....

OK. The truth is I just wanna try to sing this song by Red House Painters, which I love.
I think my chords are dodgy. But I tried.
I don't think many people will listen to it anyway....

Thanks - interesting theme. It took a while for ideas to come, and now I have lots - I hope I can fit a few in this week!

Anyway, here's the first - Hesitation Blues. Included because it's the very first song on the first album by Hot Tuna - a blues band which was a spin-off from Jefferson Airplane when Grace Slick couldn't perform. Naturally I've played around with it, and invented a verse, but that's all in the spirit of such songs.

Thanks all for your continued contributions. The Playlist is current to here. Please let me know if I your song is missing. I promise, it was accidental.

Gonna take everyone to the corner booth of Denny’s in Campbell California, circa 1990. All the punk rockers and the moon stompers took the place over, many from broken homes and challenging living conditions. One was a fallen hero to everyone on the scene, LINT.
He was not there regularly (or maybe he was- the memory is cloudy), but he was not doing so hot often. Unhoused and often trashed, but I guess we all were. Drinking coffee and laughing until the police kicked us out or someone got into a fight.
He and his little league buddy Matt had started so many bands, Basic Radio, Operation Ivy, Dance Hall Crashers, Downfall, but Matt had left for greener pastures and was playing bass for MDC by now.
Story goes, Matt gave his buddy one last chance to kick his drinking, and well, Rancid was born. By 1993 that messed up kid was on TV, and Rancid was a huge commercial success by punk rock standards.
Still, to this day, the WORST live show I have ever seen, but they have put out some incredible songs.
I am very fond of this one.

God Bless The Child That's Got His Own - Billie Holiday & Arthur Herzog Jr - 1939

Another member of the Even Dozen Jug Band who went on to another band was Steve Katz, the Even Dozen's washboard player, who played guitar in a number of bands after the jug band folded. He is perhaps best known as a member of the band Blood, Sweat & Tears. Here's a Billie Holiday song that was also performed by BS&T.

I hope it's all right to use the same source band for a few videos Andy. The Even Dozen Jug Band is one that no one but properly fanatical folkies would be familiar with, but a number of bands were started by or contained alumni from this band. Thanks for a cool idea for a season topic.

Steve Katz.jpg.

Stefan Grossman, a guitar player in the Even Dozen Jug Band, later played in a seminal folk rock band called The Fugs. who were known for being a bit offensive at times. I have tried a few of their tunes this week, but they're just not my type of song , but I'd sure like to hear someone do a Fugs song.
The Fugs.jpg

Last edited:
The Hollies complained to Steve Marriott that he did not sing with his proper accent so in this song he went completely over the top with his cockney accent. The song was done in the exaggerated style of the English musichall tradition, but it sounds more like a good old knees up down the pub. The song was really a dig at other pop groups at the time, observe Marriott clapping his hands like Mick Jagger while the "satisfaction" riff is being played

Marriott left the Small Faces and joined Peter Frampton to form the super group Humble Pie.

My vocal on this might not be full cockney its more of a Essex estuary and the video is pink/blue... which is a brain fart in retrospect , but never the less a curt nod to the hippie flower power that overtook english pop music in the sixties.

Last edited:
The Hollies complained to Steve Marriott that he did not sing with his proper accent so in this song he went completely over the top with his cockney accent. The song was done in the exaggerated style of the English musichall tradition, but it sounds more like a good old knees up down the pub. The song was really a dig at other pop groups at the time, observe Marriott clapping his hands like Mick Jagger while the "satisfaction" riff is being played

Marriott left the Small Faces and joined Peter Frampton to form the super group Humble Pie.

My vocal on this might not be full cockney its more of a Essex estuary and the video is pink/blue... which is a brain fart in retrospect , but never the less a curt nod to the hippie flower power that overtook english pop music in the sixties.

Far out, man! 😁 It crossed my mind to do a Humble Pie song but later on David Bowie, who attended the same school as Frampton and was taught art by his dad, Owen Frampton, returned the favour by offering Peter a job as sidesman on his Glass Spider tour.

Bowie doing his best impression of Marriott. 😁

Hello everyone and thanks for hosting Andy.
Dave Grohl is the founder of the rock band Foo Fighters, for which he is the lead singer, guitarist, and principal songwriter. Prior to forming Foo Fighters, he was known worldwide as the drummer of Nirvana, from 1990 to 1994. The song that I propose can be found in the seventh album of Foo Fighters and is called Walk.
I tried to come up with a fingerstyle arrangement for ukulele. I hope you like it

A song that works on two levels. So my performance of Woodstock is based on Matthews' Southern Comfort, a band formed by former Fairport Convention singer Ian Matthews. The lead guitarist in Matthews' Southern Comfort later became the bass player in The Shadows and The Everly Brothers.

But that's not all - this song was originally by Joni Mitchell. It was also covered (quite differently) by Crosby, Stills, and Nash, another group with overlaps with The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, and of course Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

It's fun tracing these connections.

The video's a bit quiet I'm afraid, but I only had time today for a one take wonder.

Top Bottom