Season 614 - Music scene is crazy...

Thanks for hosting, Andy. :)

Vince Clarke is my all-time music hero. He started off with Depeche Mode in the early ’80s and jumped ship after their first (very successful) album release to team up with Alison Moyet in Yazoo. After only two (very successful) albums they split and he eventually joined up with Andy Bell to form the very successful synthpop duo Erasure in 1985. They are still active and have a discography as long as your arm.

This is probably my fave Erasure song. With added synth stuff and vocal harmonies. How couldn’t I?

HIT THE ROAD JACK - Percy Mayfield 1960

Another alum of the who stayed active after the band broke up was Stefan Grossman. He played in a few bands and a few duos and trios. He played first with Rory Block and later with John Renbourn. Maggie and I saw Stefan and John a few times. Once in Toronto they were joined by guitarist Larry Coryell, and at a festival they invited Dave Van Ronk up for a few tunes.
The last rehearsal before John passed in 2015 included an instrumental version of Hit The Road Jack.. This can be seen on YouTube and I've included a link in the description on YouTube.
Stefan is responsible for many guitar instruction books, records and videos.

Here are Stefan (with glasses) and David Grisman in the Even Dozen Days:

Stefan & David Even Dozen.jpg

There are probably more complicated changes for this song, but I just play ||:Am / G / |F / E7 / :|| for the whole song.

This is a fun one. LOVED the first band, then he went on to play with X past their prime and the Knitters, and solo stuff (meh). This guy has made piles of music, and I just wanted him to rejoin with his brother and play with The Blasters again. Dave Alvin

HIT THE ROAD JACK - Percy Mayfield 1960

Another alum of the who stayed active after the band broke up was Stefan Grossman. He played in a few bands and a few duos and trios. He played first with Rory Block and later with John Renbourn. Maggie and I saw Stefan and John a few times. Once in Toronto they were joined by guitarist Larry Coryell, and at a festival they invited Dave Van Ronk up for a few tunes.
The last rehearsal before John passed in 2015 included an instrumental version of Hit The Road Jack.. This can be seen on YouTube and I've included a link in the description on YouTube.
Stefan is responsible for many guitar instruction books, records and videos.

Here are Stefan (with glasses) and David Grisman in the Even Dozen Days:

View attachment 161636

There are probably more complicated changes for this song, but I just play ||:Am / G / |F / E7 / :|| for the whole song.

Four years ago driving back from the summerhouse, Ray Charles came on the radio singing "Hit the road Jack" and Imogen was imediately taken by the chorus and wanted to sing it. So this morning we gave it a bash and this was the result.

It is a great joy to be able to connect with your grandkids through music. She gets a bit lost when Granddad goes off piste because the words stop scrolling on the screen.

This is a fun one. LOVED the first band, then he went on to play with X past their prime and the Knitters, and solo stuff (meh). This guy has made piles of music, and I just wanted him to rejoin with his brother and play with The Blasters again. Dave Alvin

The amazing Mr. Alvin and his brother Phil. What wonderful music they’ve made together and separately over the years.

I got a chance to see the original lineup in 2004 at the Long Beach Blues Festival. They were last-minute subs for Bo Diddley, who was ill. Billy Branch still sat in for a couple of Bo’s songs. My pals who’d never heard The Blasters before came away in awe.

Reactions: TCK
Here is a song from Sir Paul:

Time to play the very first song which ever aired on Radio 1 in the UK, by The Move. They begat two bands - Wizzard (of Christmas song fame) and of course the Electric Light Orchestra.

the protagonist in this original is grateful for a dark time that serves as a lesson on learning to let go.

really rough recording. i wrote the words and decided on a simple chord progression and just pressed Record. there was noise from a car engine at one point...outside my window. i might record this again but this is what it is today.

4 Winters
another winter has come and gone,
all the sparrows have flown to their new home.
you'd been feeding them them since your mother fell sick,
and she'd been feeding them since your father passed away.
she would go out every morning to sweep away the fallen grains on the ground.
since your father died no one was there to clean up the mess.
mum was a slave to her cleaning,
while you are a slave to your drinking,
like your father was once.
he pulled the plug before it was too late.
yet it was too late in the end.
you inherited the birds and the bottle
and fallen grains and husks on the ground
and much much more.....
shrapnel from the cruel blows of life.

then one spring morning your mother died,
and the sparrows stopped coming.
no more grains on the ground,
no more mess
except for the broken pieces of the little boy you-
buried deep in your heart.

who's gonna clean up the mess now?

4 winters have come and gone.

i listen to the pitter patter of the November rain on the asphalt ground....
maybe that's the sound of shrapnel scuttling inside your head
every time you took another sip of your poison.

the sparrows took 3 days to work out when to let go.
i took 4 winters.

Spring is here today.
thank you for showing me how to let go.

the protagonist in this original is grateful for a dark time that serves as a lesson on learning to let go.

really rough recording. i wrote the words and decided on a simple chord progression and just pressed Record. there was noise from a car engine at one point...outside my window. i might record this again but this is what it is today.

4 Winters
another winter has come and gone,
all the sparrows have flown to their new home.
you'd been feeding them them since your mother fell sick,
and she'd been feeding them since your father passed away.
she would go out every morning to sweep away the fallen grains on the ground.
since your father died no one was there to clean up the mess.
mum was a slave to her cleaning,
while you are a slave to your drinking,
like your father was once.
he pulled the plug before it was too late.
yet it was too late in the end.
you inherited the birds and the bottle
and fallen grains and husks on the ground
and much much more.....
shrapnel from the cruel blows of life.

then one spring morning your mother died,
and the sparrows stopped coming.
no more grains on the ground,
no more mess
except for the broken pieces of the little boy you-
buried deep in your heart.

who's gonna clean up the mess now?

4 winters have come and gone.

i listen to the pitter patter of the November rain on the asphalt ground....
maybe that's the sound of shrapnel scuttling inside your head
every time you took another sip of your poison.

the sparrows took 3 days to work out when to let go.
i took 4 winters.

Spring is here today.
thank you for showing me how to let go.

I have just disabled comments.
A member messaged me to voice out problems with my song and that it might make some members uncomfortable.

I geniunely have no intention to make anyone feel uncomfortable with this song. Yes, it stems from my personal struggle. In the 4 minutes i try to use the scenerio of sparrows and spilled grains to express how difficult it is to let go of somethings in my life. I am not a good songwriter, but I felt judged when this member described my words as "clever" and said "hope they came from your heart".

I can only say maybe it is the way i write. I don't really feel i need to use ambiguity or elusive words in this song.

I have no intention to attack or hurt or offend anyone, including the person in my song. The person in my song is having a hard time. And i am helpless to help. When nothing is working, i told myself i have to learn to let go of somethings.

And that was how i came about deciding to pen a "thank you" to a situation that i don't wish on anyone.

I can either choose to see myself as a victim of a challenging situation and let it take me down. Or i can learn to let go and hopefully learn something from it. I am not good at letting go. I thought writing a song like this might serve as some kind of personal documentation of my journey of learning to let go of somethings in life.

But i am now upset that someone thought it would make people who know a bit about me feel uncomfortable.

I apologise for causing any unpleasant reactions.

I will say again- i genuinely am not posting this song to attack or hurt anyone.

I dunno why everytime i bear my soul here it has made someome uneasy enough to PM me.

Is there an unwritten rule that every song here has to be non-personal or confessional?

Why is it that when some other people share their personal struggles here they are supported and applauded, but when i do it, it makes some people uneasy?

I have disbled comments on the song i posted. It is not even well phrased and played. But i did write and sing it from my heart.

I am going to host the next season, and my theme does require members to reveal something about their thoughts and attitudes towards a scenerio.

Now i am not sure if such a theme will make more people uneasy.

If anyone wants to play safe, please step up to host instead.

Last edited:
Blazing out of San Pedro, California - Minutemen where one of the greatest and most influential bands in the U.S underground/alternative music scene of the early '80s. On December 22nd 1985, guitarest and vocalist D.Boon was tragically killed in an automobile accident at the age of 27 which instantly brought the band to an end.
A few months after this huge loss, 21 year old guitar player and Minuteman fan Ed Crawford was at Camper Van Beethoven show in Ohio. The band told him a false rumour that the two remaining members of Minutemen (Mike Watt and George Hurley) were auditioning for a guitarest in the band. Crawford found Watt's number in the phone book and called him up asking to audition. Watt was not impressed, still mourning the loss of his life-long friend, and told Crawford he had no interest in making music. Not long after, Crawford showed up in Pedro unannounced and persuaded Watt and Hurley to listen to him play. His enthusiasm and passion paid off and Firehose were born in the spring of '86.
I was too young to ever see Minutemen play live but I caught Firehose when they were in the UK. An incredible band who love equally as much as Minutemen!
Here's one of their gentlest songs from their second album, If'n released in 1987.

One take, straight to phone x

Roy Wood came into one of my favourite 'watering holes' on the one weekend I didn't call in there after my usual dash for groceries, in fact next time I went in most of the regulars had photos they'd taken with him! A few nights earlier I'd have been in there strumming on my guitar! Such is life. 😭
That’s a pity - what a missed opportunity!

Well here it is... a rarely sighted, let alone heard, Berni COVER.
This is my take on Blind Faith's "Can't find my way home"... With an extra verse...

Hope you like it and can forgive the "I'm no Clapton" guitar solo 😜

The playlist is up to date to here. I’ll have another commenting jag on YT later today. Thanks to everyone who has brought a song (or more) to the week. There’s still time to bring more if you’re feeling up to it.

One other note - anyone here who shares an original song is sharing something personal to them and, even if in only a small way, shares something about how they are feeling. Although I think it is nice to be sensitive to others feelings, I also think the songwriter's feelings are just as valid and people here should feel comfortable to share those feelings in their originals if they want. Being respectful in the comments should include being respectful in the PM’s too.

Such a soulful delivery of a common story. You captured it beautifully.
I hesitated to express an opinion of 4 winters since the subject matter was so personal.To say something almost felt like taking sides, and I did not want to do that... any response had to be delicate, and I didn't know if I had the skills to do that

I listened to Joo's song multiple times, and I suppose the old timers know what it all about. Nothing is spoken outright, only alluded to obliquely. A compassionate remembrance, and letting go of memories.

As Herman Hesse said... It was as if all of the happiness, all of the magic of this blissful hour had flowed together into these stirring, bittersweet tones and flowed away, becoming temporal and transitory once more.

The Portuguese and Galician term 'saudade' suggests a profoundly bittersweet nostalgia, and that was the feel i got from the song... and I believe that was also the intent.

If I remember correctly there was also a Season that covered Saudade

sparrows (an introduced species here) have been on the decline australia wide - we had a resident family in our yard but they disappeared 4 or 5 years ago and we've not seen them since

Reactions: joo
Paul Weller was a founding member of The Jam in the ’70s, and was another hugely talented musician/songwriter who had the confidence to break up a band at the height of its popularity in the early ’80s to form another highly successful group - the Style Council. (He eventually went solo - I hope that doesn’t make this entry illegal, Andy?!)

This track is, imho, one of the best b-sides of all time - on the flip side to The Jam’s single Strange Town, released in 1979. You can draw your own conclusion as to what/who it might be about, but I think it’s quite safe to say that isn’t actually about butterflies!

Just me and baritone uke!!! (Okay - with vocal harmonies and reverb!)

Last edited:
TAKE YOUR FINGERS OFF IT - Memphis Jug Band 1934, recorded 30 years later by The Even Dozen Jug Band

All of the songs that I have contributed this seasons came from one source band, The Even Dozen Jug Band.
My last contribution will be one from the source band itself. The first song on Side A was Take Your Fingers Off It, a song that they learned from the Memphis Jug Band.

If the changes to this song sound familiar, that could be because they're also used in many other songs - Can't Tame Wild Women, How Come You Do Me Like You Do Do Do, They're Red Hot, Alice's Restaurant. . .
Thanks a lot for a great week Alan.

Last edited:
Top Bottom