Season 615 - Who Is Most Guilty?

joo

Reaction score
Welcome to Season 615 - WHO IS MOST GUILTY?

For this week I am gonna play things a little differently.
It requires you to make some choices from a scenario that I have taken from a book by Paul Zindel titled The Pigman.

Please read the scenario description below.

the boatman test.jpg

"There is a river with a bridge over it and a wife and her husband live in a house on one side. The wife has a lover who lives on the other side of the river, and the only way to get from one side of the river to the other is to walk across the bridge or to ask the boatman to take you. One day the husband tells his wife that he has to be gone all night to handle some business in a faraway town. The wife pleads with him to take her with him because she knows if he doesn’t she will be unfaithful to him. The husband absolutely refuses to take her because she will only be in the way of his important business.

So the husband goes alone. When he is gone, the wife goes over the bridge and stays with her lover. The night passes, and the sun is almost up when the wife leaves because she must get back to her own house before her husband gets home. She starts to cross the bridge, but she sees an assassin waiting for her on the other side, and she knows if she tries to cross, he will murder her. In terror, she runs up the side of the river and asks the boatman to take her across, but he wants fifty cents. She has no money, so he refuses to take her. The wife runs back to the lover’s house, and explains to him what her predicament is. She asks him for fifty cents to pay the boatman. The lover refuses, telling her it’s her own fault for getting into the situation. As dawn comes up, the wife is nearly out of her mind and decides to dash across the bridge. When she comes face to face with the assassin. He takes out a large knife and stabs her to death."

Who is most responsible for the wife's murder? List wife, husband, lover, assassin, and boatman IN THE ORDER you think they are most guilty.

It would be fun to have you share your answers here after you have read my intro post, if you want. If not, you can post your answer when you post your first video.

SO WHAT SONGS DO YOU PLAY THIS WEEK?

Here is an example:
If you list the people most guilty of causing the wife's death in this order -
1. Boatman 2. Husband 3. Wife 4. Lover 5. Assassin
and if you are bringing 5 songs, then you will bring songs in the following order :

1. BOATMAN - any song that mentions any watercraft, water body, or any song that mentions a person who "drives" a boat in the lyrics or title. For example, you can play River Man by Nick Drake, or (Sittin' On) the Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding. Any sea shanty is of course most welcome. For those of you who could not make it for Ila's Sealife season, here is your chance to bring any song about sea life.

2. HUSBAND - any song that is about or mentions husband, spouse, partner, the significant other, marriage, wedding, tying the knot (hope you get the idea) in the lyrics or title. UPDATED : Any songs you played at your wedding, or any song that you sing/sang to your husband, or any songs he likes/liked. For those never married, or if you can't find a suitable song under this theme, any song you consider perfect for a wedding is fine.

3. WIFE - any song that is about or mentions wife, spouse, partner, the significant other, marriage, wedding, tying the knot (I think you get the idea now) in the lyrics or title. UPDATED : Any songs you played at your wedding, or any song that you sing/sang to your wife, or any songs she likes/liked. For those never married, or if you can't find a suitable song under this theme, any song you consider perfect for a wedding is fine..

4. LOVER - any song that is about or mentions lover, cheating or infidelity in the lyrics or title.

5. ASSASSIN - any song about or mentions assassins, serial killers, criminals, the act of killing in the title or lyrics. For example, A to Z Blues by Blind Willie McTell has some brutal lyrics. This same song also qualifies for the LOVER theme, as McTell described in detail how the protagonist plans to carve up his girlfriend for cheating on him. (I know...😱)
However, your song does not have to be about killing. For example, songs like Killing Me Softly With His Song recorded by Roberta Flack are fine.

So, what you will bring this week depends on your answer to the above described scenario. Hope this is clear. :--)

No limit to the number of songs. But the first five songs that you submit must be in the order of your selection. Please state your answer to the described scenario in your first submission/video.
Once you have played through the 5 songs in the order of your selection, you can bring any song from themes 1-5, and as many as you like.

If it is your first time here, you can post any song you like. You don't have to play according to the 5 themes. And you can post as many songs you like.

Only new videos that you make this week.
Rob (wee_ginga_yin) can post older videos.

Start time is 12.00 AM Hawaii time, Sunday 26th Nov.
Finish time is 11.59 PM Hawaii time next Sunday.

Multitracking is fine. But your ukulele must be the main part of your recording.
Collaborations are welcome and encouraged.
Originals are very much encouraged. Please post the lyrics of your originals here.

I would like to see those of you who prefer to post videos without showing yourself make an exception this week. If you are uncomfortable about showing your face, it will still make a difference to me if I can at least see your hands playing the uke.

If showing yourself on video, even with your face cropped out, is not what you like to do, then shoot a video for your song. You can film a walk down the road, for example, or clouds moving in the sky. You can also use images of any art or craft you have made, for e.g. sketches, cartoons, or playdough figures, or photos you have taken to make your videos. No A.I. generated images please. No images taken direct from the internet please (even the copyright-free ones), unless you have altered them or added something to them. I prefer to see a stick man drawn by your hand instead of an intricate, polished picture made by someone else, hope you get the idea.

Please comment on each other's videos. If you don't feel like typing, click the Like button, here and on YT. No one likes to share a video and get no reactions/appreciation and comments. I don't understand what the LIKE button on YT is really for behind the scenes, but as a user of YT myself it is a way I know if my video is appreciated, besides comments. So don't shun that LIKE.

There will be no prizes this week. But if I change my mind I will let you know.

I think this is it, for now.

Oh, don't forget Andy's week is still on. There is still time to bring him songs from those specific bands, or write an original or 2 about being grateful.

Have fun!

UPDATE: If you find this theme not your cup of tea, you can bring any songs about or mention cats, even just a word that suggests a cat or cat-liked quality in the lyrics is fine.
some ideas here....
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/threads/140th-season-of-the-ukulele-whats-new-pussycat.101436/

Feel free to bring any cat songs in between your 'suspects" songs, or after.

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
I’m glad Mr T isn’t one of the options!
Mr T is the onlooker. He has a free pass to roam about from one side of the river to the other. No threat from being assassinated. He doesn't even need the boatman because he can swim. He really doesn't care about what these 5 humans do, so long he gets his food and back massages.

UPDATE ON THE THEME: If you find this game of Who Is The Most Guilty not your cup of tea, if you want to bring any song about your cat, or songs you sing to your cat, or any cat songs, that is welcome.

Thanks for an interesting and different theme. My feelings, from most to least guilty are…
  1. Assassin
  2. Lover
  3. Boatman
  4. Husband
  5. Wife
And I have thought of five songs to play, when the time is right, though I might change my mind.

As for cats, there are three in the household. Two avoid me when I’m playing but one comes along to listen. I think she believes I’m singing to her.

Although Yowling Tom definitely prefers cat songs :ROFLMAO:I appreciate the drama, complexity and deliberateness you employed when setting up the theme. Bravo!

• Love
Reactions: joo
as a host I will play the game too!
(I hope none of you has played this game before)

1. wife
2. husband
3. lover
4. assassin
5. boatman

Although Yowling Tom definitely prefers cat songs :ROFLMAO:I appreciate the drama, complexity and deliberateness you employed when setting up the theme. Bravo!
the "drama, complexity and deliberateness" are not really from me, it is a little part in Paul Zindel's The Pigman that I enjoyed. I love that book by the way. It is a copy from my primary school library.

You are most welcome to bring any cat songs!

1. Assassin
  2. Wife
  3. Lover
  4. Boatman
  5. Husband
Putting together a set for this afternoon's open mic right now....

• Love
Most to least guilty:
1-wife
2-assassin
3-lover
4-boatman
5-husband

• Love
Nice to see some answers in! Thanks for playing this game with me!
Please note that I have updated the criteria for Husband and Wife to include more songs(see intro post). So, hopefully everyone will find some songs for this week's theme.

You can also choose to share your answer of who is the most guilty when you post your first video. No pressure to post it now.

Also, for anyone who doesn't feel like playing this game (and that is perfectly fine too! ), cat songs are good. See post #3.

Last edited:
Wait wait but... assassins have motive. They don't just murder anyone who crosses their path! WHO HIRED THE ASSASSIN?
Did the wife explain the situation to the Boatman or just to the Lover?
IHAVEQUESTIONS!
Good questions, Marin!

This scenario is taken from a book and that's all we know. When I use it for this Season, I like to keep it that way - with lots of things unsaid.

We don't know who hired or what the assassin's motive is. Maybe he/she is raising money to buy all the coolest ukes? Or maybe to build an orphanage? or maybe he/she just loves getting hired for stabbing frantic women crossing bridges? :p😂 But, you have mentioned an absolutely important point - someone has hired them and they have motive.

Let's try to play the game without knowing what the assassin's motive is, or who he/she is working for. I know it makes it harder to choose....but my main interest is to use a different way to set themes for this season, not so much a psychological or moral test.

As for the boatman, no i don't think the poor lady explained her situation to him. I think she was panicking and in a hurry to get back to her house before her husband went home.

If you find it difficult to answer to the scenario, I hope you will find songs that are about cats or mention cats. :---) (see post #3)

Last edited:
Wait wait but... assassins have motive. They don't just murder anyone who crosses their path! WHO HIRED THE ASSASSIN?
Did the wife explain the situation to the Boatman or just to the Lover?
IHAVEQUESTIONS!
Your point about the assassin didn't occur to me! Maybe the husband knew his wife was cheating so he hired an assassin to kill her. His being out of town when the murder occurred would be his alibi and would distance himself from any suspicion. He knew that if he were out of town his wife would go and visit her lover. He knew that she didn't have any money to pay the boatman so he knew she would have to take the bridge so he set her up there.

What a dastardly and interesting theme Joo! And Like Andy’s current week I’m not sure I’ll get time to take part….but, for what it’s worth……
1) Assassin
2) Lover
3) Boatman
4) Husband
5) Wife.

I put the assassin first because he ultimately makes the choice to kill so he is 100% the most guilty in my eyes. The wife last because her infidelity doesn’t warrant her murder. The husband would be at 2) if he’d hired the assassin, but as that isn’t stated I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt 😂

What a fun theme! I read it carefully and the bold portion says 1) "who is the most responsible for the wife's murder?" But below, the verbiage changes a little to 2) "most guilty of causing the wife's death."

1) seems to be more of a legal criminal case, where I would say it's
  1. Assassin
  2. Husband (assuming motive)
  3. Lover
  4. Boatman
  5. Wife
However, it changes drastically for who is guilty of causing her death, which is more of a moral question. In this case, I'd say
  1. Wife
  2. Husband
  3. Assassin
  4. Lover
  5. Boatman
I could switch 3 and 4, with more discussion.

Now I have to decide how to actually answer and what to play!!

Top Bottom