Season 615 - Who Is Most Guilty?

WRAP

Thank you everyone for your songs.
I really enjoyed listening and watching your videos.
Every song is different, and everyone has his or her own view about who is the most guilty in this riddle.

I had phrased the question differently in my intro.
Who is the most responsible for the wife's murder is different from Who's most guilty of causing the wife's death.
I wrote both. It was an oversight. But I think it was a nice oversight. With these 2 different phrasings, we ended up with (even more) different views about this puzzle, which created interesting debate.

Thanks to everyone who took part in this game, and for explaining your choices.
I hope all of you have enjoyed this Season.

Your videos were a joy to listen and watch.

We have 100 videos and 101 songs, since Wendy played 2 songs in 1 of her videos.
But since Stoney brought 2 versions of the same song (an original by him), this means we end up with 100 songs this week.
12 of the 100 songs are cat songs.

Here are a few seasonistas and songs that stood out for me.

1, Jim @Canada Jim for his hats. I love hats. And I love to look at the hat Jim wears each time he plays us a song. He brought us 9 songs this week. All the 5 characters with 2 songs for the Boatman theme, and 3 cat songs. My 2 favourite hats he wore this week are:
this Panama hat, with a really lovely band, which Jim put on himself using a mandolin strap (love your DIY approach, Jim!),
and this straw hat he wore when he played a song which his itinerant music teacher, Mr. McGash taught him when he was in grade 4.

2. Wendy @UkeCan1 for making me laugh. Wendy brought us 7 songs, 2 with her friends John and Mick, and 1 with Bonnie. I really enjoyed all the songs Wendy brought this week. I had a good laugh watching her showing us how to warm up our vocals with her "A Lover's Concerto" , and Rock This Town with Bonnie was really uplifting!

3. Scott @mikelz777 for really getting into this week's theme/riddle. I really enjoyed reading his opinions about this scenario. He brought us 5 songs, one for each character. I find Scott's voice very soothing and gentle. And the uke he used this week has the sweetest, smoothest sound. I love all 5 songs he played. But here are two I want to learn and play one day. Skullcrusher Mountain by Jonathan Coulton, and My Dear Someone by Gillian Welch and David Rawlings.

4. Berni @Barbablanca for bringing 5 fabulous originals, with 2 written especially for this week's theme. Hakeem the Boatman, and Bridge to Eternity. I also love that Berni dressed up for his performances!

5. Chris @hands_on_lanzon for his talent and positive attitude! He is always trying something different. And I love that he always watches and comments on others' videos! Check out his amazing instrumental here. And this cover of a naughty song by Shaggy called It Wasn't Me, with the cutest drawing!

6. Christopher F. @Yukio Because he is absolutely fantastic! Just listen to this and be blown away.

7. Tom @engravertom for this beautiful song that he wrote for he and his wife's 25th anniversary, based on a poem he wrote for their 10th.

8. Denise @caukulele for her really moving cover of Grow Old With Me which she dedicated to her husband Ray. She included photos of her and Ray in her video, which are just beautiful to see. I watched and listened, and cried and smiled.

9. Ale @HaleAle for his stunning instrumental of Killing Me Softly. Ale is like a quiet but very bright star on the Seasons. His playing is amazing.

10. Ralf @TheOnlyUkeThatMatters did something unexpected and brought us an original this week. Check it out if you haven't. In the last line of his lyrics, referring to the wife, Ralf wrote that she was "most guilty of hoping". I think it is brilliant!

11. Shane MacGowan died last week. We have 2 tributes to him. Edwin's @jtsteam glorious and very moving cover of If I Should Fall From Grace With God, and Dave's @TCK soulful cover of Dirty Old Town.

12. Mikkel @UkingViking for playing us Rain and Snow while it was snowing on him! Mikkel's clawhammer is just getting better and better each time I watch him!

13. Jon @mountain goat for being one of the most outstanding songwriters on the Seasons! He brought us 5 songs this week, two inspired by the theme. Listen to Bridge and Pretty Yellow Dress.

14. Sabine @Ms Bean for all the cool tunes she plays each week. And for her constant encouragememt towards everyone! She is amazing! She brought a really pretty tune about a cat for this season.

Some moments that stood out for me:
1. When Paul's @dr_mitch noticed his missing microphone muffler.
2. When Arvin @ukudancer swung his arm is jubilation.
3. When @AlanDP Alan said : For I Am The Family Cat.
4. When @kolibri Ylle let out a howl.

To end this wrap, I am gonna pick a winner for the main theme, and a winner for the cat theme.

Main theme winner : Chris @hands_on_lanzon.
Not only because it was such an enjoyable cover, but just the whole repeating of the line It Wasn't Me makes me chuckle. What a brilliant and playful reply to this week's theme - Who Is Most Guilty? (Well, it wasn't me. Voran confessed to the murder....something about her Redbull...)

Cat theme winner : Edwin @jtsteam
Edwin's original song Schroedinger's Cat is brilliant and playful too. (did you notice I just used the same 2 words to describe my winners' songs? I do love "brilliant and playful". )

Sharing Edwin's lyrics 'cause I think they are good!
Out in the forest, does the tree make a sound,
If nobody's there when it falls to the ground?
If you don't ask the question then it hasn't happened yet
Reality depends on whether anybody checks.
And trapped inside a box
Wondering if the poison will bump him off
Schroedinger's cat is alive and dead
And the one that's alive is plotting his revenge

Before I end this wrap, I wanna say that it was great to know that Tim, Tom's @engravertom son is out of ICU.
And Chris @chris667 , if you are reading this, hope you are OK now from the disturbing incident while you were walking home in the snow.

I did try to mention everyone....
More on page 10 https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/threads/season-615-who-is-most-guilty.161349/page-10

Thank you everyone for taking part in this Season!

(Chris and Edwin, I am not sure what I will send you as prizes. But you will know when you receive it!)

Last edited:
Thanks Joo, it was a great week. I really enjoyed reading all the posts and listening to each song😊 thanks again

• Love
Reactions: joo
I'm so glad you pointed this out!! 😁😁😁 I hope we all get this feeling when we nail a difficult take! Sometimes, it's a "meh.. good enough. I'd rather not try again." But arm swinging jubilation is what it's all about!! Arvin mentioned in his reply to my comment that this was the most difficult bassline he's played, so huge high 10 to @ukudancer !!! πŸ™ŒπŸ½

Thanks for hosting such a fun Season, Joo! It definitely took me outside of my box and stretched my comfort zone a bit. 🀣 a couple of my entries crack me up, one cracks my vocal chords, one my finger tips, and another my vulnerability.

I'm mentally swinging my arms in jubilation for being selected as a winner! ✨️πŸ₯°βœ¨οΈ

Concats to @jtsteam as well! But is his entry a winner if you don't click on the link to watch it?!? πŸ€”

Last edited:
I'm so glad you pointed this out!! 😁😁😁 I hope we all get this feeling when we nail a difficult take! Sometimes, it's a "meh.. good enough. I'd rather not try again." But arm swinging jubilation is what it's all about!! Arvin mentioned in his reply to my comment that this was the most difficult baseline he's played, so huge high 10 to @ukudancer !!! πŸ™ŒπŸ½

One thing I didn't mention, is that I used my ear to create those bass parts. I just looked up the chords that Bobby was playing, so I knew which root notes to target in a specific time, but the rest was me going off memory of the song and what little theory I've acquired in the past 2 years.

It's also got some really quick chord changes that threw my fingers for a loop the first day I received Bob's track. (Btw, kudos to his rock solid internal rhythm doing that without a metronome or a drum track)

Also, I had about an hours worth of takes where I was a hair early or a hair late on that last note on the bass. (Oddly enough, it took only one take for the drums / cymbal hit). So yeah, I was pumped to get that!

Anyway, between this and my last collab with Sumi, I truly feel like I've grown a a musician on the past month or so.

And now I do know because this came through the door earlier. Thanks Joo!

View attachment 164201
THANK YOU Edwin! It's such a strange and wonderful thing that I get to meet you all through our ukulele songs. I still remember the day when you posted your first DIY song, that made me quite happy and excited, really. I knew then, that you would be writing more originals. It is great fun and just such a creative way to "meet" and connect with someone. Your songs always make me smile and also stop and think. Long live DIY songs!

Joo!!! Look what arrived in the mail yesterday!! 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁
I really love it and appreciate the peer assessment. It caused me to self-reflect a little bit this morning and ponder how well the word "different" fits who I am. Maybe it applies to many of us here on UU and within the Seasonistas, and that's what makes it so great. We get to hear so many different songs done by different people done in a different way. πŸ₯°

Thank you thank you thank you! I'm going to treasure it!!

Something Different - Portrait by Joo.jpg

Joo!!! Look what arrived in the mail yesterday!! 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁
I really love it and appreciate the peer assessment. It caused me to self-reflect a little bit this morning and ponder how well the word "different" fits who I am. Maybe it applies to many of us here on UU and within the Seasonistas, and that's what makes it so great. We get to hear so many different songs done by different people done in a different way. πŸ₯°

Thank you thank you thank you! I'm going to treasure it!!

View attachment 164567
FIrst of all, Chris, i am glad you appreciate the little sketch. Unlike Edwin's, which i drew once, i drew a few of "you" doing a head stand. The rest didn't make it because i tried to "control" a little bit how the lines look. This was actually the first i did. More free and spontaneous.

I love the passion, heart, and a kind of free spirit i feel from you and your videos. A few times, i noticed you post a less than perfect take because it felt right to you. Maybe the heart and spirit you put in it was right to you, and you chose to share it. I knew very well, from seeing your videos, you would have done a much polished version, had you tried again. Yet, i often find myself having a soft spot for renditions that feel spontaneous than just a display of skills. (Your skills as a player is awesome and inspiring by the way and you are just getting better and better. )

I am in a reflective mood today so i am writing a bit more.

Being different is just my way of saying how much fun i see from what you share here. Sing, rap, play instrumentals, multi track, draw, etc.. Always trying something a bit different from what you have done before, having fun while challenging yourself to become better at your playing and singing.
Maybe attempting a song you never thought you could do, maybe wearing a mask, or a different hat, a certain tee shirt, a certain uke to play. All these must make the creative process even more fun for you, and it is fun for me to watch.

i feel no limit to what you can do as a lover and student of this instrument. It is like you can do anything.

You don't seem to box yourself up into a certain i-am-better-at-this-so-i-will-keep-doing-this kind of thing.

That sense of freedom that comes from true passion, humility, and a sense of adventure must be exhilarating. I know it is!

Has anyone heard from or seen Sabine? Seems like she has been absent for a few seasons now....

Has anyone heard from or seen Sabine? Seems like she has been absent for a few seasons now....
I've been wondering too... I sent her an email just to check all is well. We all get busy from time to time after all.

EDIT: No need to worry, she says she'll be back soon :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom