Season 615 - Who Is Most Guilty?

The Universal Assassin.. the Grim Reaper.. Mr Death.
Rev Gary Davis song on guitalele tuned G to g. Thanks Joo!

The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?
Edgar Allan Poe

This song is one of the most popular of Rev Gary Davis' Holy Blues. The term "Holy Blues" was created to describe the style of Rev Gary Davis. The style of the song may be blues orientated, yet the message is religious.

Where the Rev goes the Grateful Dead follow.

IMG_20231126_140744.jpg

Last edited:
I'll eventually get to a song or songs but I've been mulling this over in my head. The assassin wouldn't necessarily have to be hired. He could have been a twisted fanatic. (ex. Mark Chapman/John Lennon) Maybe the assassin knew the wife was an adulteress and chose to take it upon himself to act as the moral judge, jury and executioner. And how did the wife know the guy was an assassin? An assassin wouldn't make his intentions known until he acted.

Interesting puzzle, joo!

Here‘s a go:

1) Assassin— as @mikelz777 hinted, the person could be deranged. Or could be a hired killer, but still could refuse to complete the assignment and return the fee. This person did the deed.
Now it gets murky.

2) Wife, for infidelity

3) Boatman, for failing to be a good samaritan.

4) Lover, for enabling infidelity and then refusing to offer fare.

5) Husband (unless he’s doing something sinister on these business trips) … or he paid the assassin, which would elevate him in the hierarchy,

Songs forthcoming!

And, hello again, Joo! After what was, quite unintentionally, a rather inauspicious start, I hope I can redeem myself with this song. The woman therein is an absolute MONSTER ... "assassin" hardly covers it! Written by the very great Tom Lehrer, I'd never heard it before this morning, but I think it fits the "assassin" label perfectly. (And, oh dear, is the assassin "deranged" as Scott suggests? It seems that we have been hearing far too much of that word "deranged" recently ... I wonder if he's a Democrat, too!!!) Oh, and I DID get the knife image off the Internet - obviously - for added emphasis, but it was altered and it is pointing straight at my throat!

Last edited:
1. The Assasin is most responsible for her death. She doesn't die if she they don't kill her.
2. Wife. I hate to victim blame, but did she not know how to swim?
3. Lover
4. Husband
5. Boatman

Anyway, I have two song ideas for the season. One might become a collab, but who knows if I have time to do them. lol

The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?
Edgar Allan Poe

Screenshot 2023-11-26 14.22.51.png
Does this mean that the organic peanut butter sandwich on rye bread that I've just had for lunch is all for nought? (And, please, can anyone tell me whether peanut butter needs to be kept in the fridge ... I did that with the last jar and it went hard.)

Last edited:
Husband
Wife
Lover
Assassin
Boatman

Husband
Wife
Lover
Assassin
Boatman
The husband and wife are both responsible for the health of the marriage.

The lover helps the marriage deteriorate further.

The Assassin actually takes life, due to the circumstances in place, and their own willingness to kill.

The boatman could have shown mercy.

I didn’t see any spoilers! 🙂

Very clever and interesting theme, Joo!

Last edited:
Welcome to Season 615 - WHO IS MOST GUILTY?

Originals are very much encouraged. Please post the lyrics of your originals here.

PLAYLIST
Thanks for hosting this week Joo.

Kmise Baritone Ukulele model M12180qh (Martin 630 DGBE strings)
Fender Acoustasonic 40 amp
Cuvave Cube Baby Multi-effects pedal
Digitech Trio Band Creator pedal
Dolamo Distortion pedal
Dolamo Compressor Pedal
Rowin Noise Killer Pedal
Donner 4 Channel Line Mixer
Behringer XM8500 mic
Focusrite audio interface
Audacity free software
DaVinci Resolve free software
Recorded for Ukulele Undergrounds' Seasons of the Ukulele (SOTU 615) weekly song challenge
The Seasons of the Ukulele T-Shirt - https://www.zazzle.com/z/acudbaml
#SOTU #UkuleleUnderground #ukuleleunderground

(Am - C6 - Am - C6 - G - D)
I said
Here come the boatman
Smellin’ like your perfume
I said
Here come the boatman
He be
Smellin’ like your perfume
Where do you go by the
Light of the moon

Where is all the money did you
Really take it all
I said
Where is all the money did you
Really take it all
What’s a man to do when his
Backs against the wall

Now I
Got my shotgun with a
Double barrel load
Said I
I got my shotgun with a
Double barrel load
One barrel for the boatman
One for the lies you told

Packed up all your s** and I
Threw it on the grass
Yeah I
Packed up all your s** and I
Threw it on the grass
Soaked it down with gasoline and
Turned it into ash

(solo)

Now I
Need to cross the river before the
Police take me down
Yeah I
Need to cross the river before the
Police take me down
But there, ain’t no boatman
Ain’t no boatman around

Ain’t no boatman
Ain’t no boatman
No boatman around(repeat fade)

Last edited:
I choose the wife, only because it allows me to play one of our favorite songs.

any song that you sing/sang to your wife, or any songs she likes/liked

Since this will be my solo song for Season 615, there's no need for listing a hierarchy.

I'll also refrain from singing, since my guitalele doesn't work well when tuned to standard guitar tuning (EADGBE ). Normally tuned a 4th higher than guitar, I've lowered it a tone to play Blackbird, because the notes become shrill as I assend the neck. That's still too high for singing though.

I hope you like it, and I hope you find inspiration in these quotes:
"Take these broken wings and learn to fly..."
"Take these sunken eyes and learn to see..."

Interesting puzzle, joo!

Here‘s a go:

1) Assassin— as @mikelz777 hinted, the person could be deranged. Or could be a hired killer, but still could refuse to complete the assignment and return the fee. This person did the deed.
Now it gets murky.

2) Wife, for infidelity

3) Boatman, for failing to be a good samaritan.

4) Lover, for enabling infidelity and then refusing to offer fare.

5) Husband (unless he’s doing something sinister on these business trips) … or he paid the assassin, which would elevate him in the hierarchy,

Songs forthcoming!
Whether you know it or not I think most of your reasoning is rather biblical.
1) The assassin - Thou shall not kill
2) The wife - Thou shall not commit adultery
3) Boatman - A pharisee in the parable of the good samaritan
4) Lover - Thou shall not covet thy neighbours wife
5) Husband - Failing to love his wife as his own body.

Those are all judgement from a religious and moral point of view, and while on the religious theme, I thought of David and Bathsheba and how David had the husband killed so he could marry Bathsheba.

In that scenario David would be the lover, Bathsheba the wife and Uriah the Husband... the lover wanted the husband dead, and paid the assassin to do it, but since the night was dark the assassin killed the wife by mistake... it was all a case of mistaken identity, what with men and women both wearing robes in biblical times. Absolute power corrupts. When you can take anything you want with no boundaries.

Moral of the story everybody looses when you break the commandments.

How is that for a twist?

Last edited:
Hmm. This IS an interesting one, Joo. And it's a fun discussion, but some of the stuff about it is pretty dark. I have written how I came to my decision below but put it in a spoiler. @joo is right - this is supposed to be people posting songs.

My feeling was the wife was the victim and as such can't bear any responsibility for the thing that happened to her. I don't think any decent person can blame a victim for being a victim - it really isn't any different to saying a woman who gets raped on a night out is responsible because she was "asking for it" by wearing a miniskirt.

I think that what the wife was really looking for was connection, because connection is the opposite of addiction. She sounds like an addict. As a former addict myself, I know that you will do terrible, damaging things to get what you are addicted to. She asked all the people in her life for help, and none of them had the compassion or empathy to do so. They all failed her.

So while we don't know the details of who hired the assassin (and that would of course change the order if we did), shame on all the men in this woman's life. Ultimately the assassin was the killer, so he bears direct responsibility for causing her death in that he held the knife. But the men around her were equally responsible in their own way.
Serious bit over. For me, from the information given the order has to be:
  1. The assassin
  2. All the men.
  3. Wife.
So, I'm going to do a funny song now. And maybe another funny song this week and if I learn it, maybe a serious song later in the week. Sorry for the laptop - potato cam quality again!

Last edited:
Your point about the assassin didn't occur to me! Maybe the husband knew his wife was cheating so he hired an assassin to kill her. His being out of town when the murder occurred would be his alibi and would distance himself from any suspicion. He knew that if he were out of town his wife would go and visit her lover. He knew that she didn't have any money to pay the boatman so he knew she would have to take the bridge so he set her up there.
My thoughts exactly! I am highly suspicious of the Husband in this scenario, though the callousness of the Lover to the Wife's plight is also suspect.
Hmmmm...

Funny, that happens when I do boiled eggs. It doesn't matter how long I keep them boiling, they always turn out hard!

No, peanut butter is mostly oil, and oil becomes less viscous as it gets colder. It keeps for ages, don't worry about the temperature you keep it at.
I disagree on this one, but only moderately. Some "Natural" peanut butters, like Laura Scudder's, say "refrigerate after opening" on the container. I think this is because the only oil in there is unprocessed peanut oil. Unprocessed oils can go rancid in higher temperatures or if there are temperature swings, while processed oils like the fully hydrogenated rapeseed/soybean oil in commercial brands like Jif, are more stable and can be left out without consequence.

*not a food chemist or expert of any kind.

My thoughts exactly! I am highly suspicious of the Husband in this scenario, though the callousness of the Lover to the Wife's plight is also suspect.
Hmmmm...
It's an interesting mystery where once you start analyzing and turning things over in your head it could be everyone! Maybe the wife was so upset over her predicament that she chose suicide by assassin!

Felix the Cat was the mischievous, good-natured, banjo uke playing animated star of some 180 cartoons beginning in 1919. They were mostly black & white silent theatre shorts that ran through 1930. Some of them later had the silent titles removed and had sound added to them, but they were not as successful as the earlier silent shorts. A couple of times, I think he also appeared in a couple of Betty Boop cartoons. There was also a newspaper comic strip featuring him for several years. There were three television series made for him, one running in the late 1950s and the other two in 1995 and 2000. A direct-to-video feature-length movie was made as late as 2004 titled "Felix the Cat Saves Christmas." His image is still used on various merchandising items like t-shirts, clocks, key chains, etc. When talkies began, he started falling out of popularity as Disney began producing animated shorts with sound. This song is from 1928, which was about the peak of his fame.

Top Bottom