Season 615 - Who Is Most Guilty?

View attachment 161937View attachment 161938
While Mr T is pretending to sleep but keeping an eye on EVERYTHING.....

We currently have
5 suspects,
22 videos,
1 cat,
3, actually, Seamus the rodent destroyer,
and
the fabulous Felix,
brought by AlanDP,

and
17 uke-players playing judges to this perplexing scenerio.

Who is the most guilty?

Stay tuned for more findings.....
IMG_20231127_112149.jpg
Anything you can do I can do better

Well, I covered the other four characters yesterday in three songs, so that leaves the boatman. To me this leapt out as the obvious boatman song for this tragic tale - "Don't Pay the Ferryman" by Chris De Burgh. What an awesome song - I'm so happy to be reminded of it and get a chance to do it.

If anyone else has thought of this one too, please do it - I don't think we can have too much "Ferryman" this week, can we, Joo?

I mentioned yesterday that about two hours after I thought of this song, those two guys on my open mic set performed it at the open mic! What a strange coincidence. The reason they did it hasn't even occurred to me:

The Brisbane area is dominated by the snaking Brisbane River. It has many crossings, most of them bridges. But out here in the western suburbs, we also have a ferry in one spot, the Moggill Ferry. It's been a local controversy for decades, some saying we need a bridge, others (usually on this side, the more upscale one), wanting to avoid a bridge and keep out the "riffraff" from the other side. It's a running joke all the time, especially in FB comments on even unrelated topics. The ferry has frequent outages and limited hours, so that adds to the controversy.

Well, wouldn't you know it, right now the ferry is out for a full month ... for maintenance! You can imagine local people are up in arms about it, especially the pro-bridge faction.

So that's why these two guys played this song yesterday, right after I thought of it ... it was local social commentary!

I didn't think too much when I made the selection.
No. 1 person for me is Wife.
Here is my entry, no mention of the word "wife", but she is there.
Here is what inspired these cartoons:

There was a lady who was always sleeping on this lazy chair outside her shop at Serangoon Central, near to where I live. The shop sold items for ancestral and deity worship, such as Hell Money, incense, pastries. What caught my eye was the lazy chair she slept on. It was one of those old school chair with multicoloured elastic strings that gave your skin red marks if you sat on it for a long enough time.

I imagined how her husband could tell if it was another quiet day at the shop....

I played my guitalele here.

Not surprisingly, the shop closed down a year ago due to poor business.

My second choice for most guilty is the assassin. The only reason the assassin wasn't first was that the wife had two opportunities to avoid encountering him, by staying home and later, by not crossing that bridge.

My assassin song is Skullcrusher Mountain by Jonathan Coulton. I had never heard of the song or singer until it came up in one of the seasons some time ago, I think it was for Halloween. The song comes from the twisted point of view of a mad scientist who thinks that he is in love, so much so that he doesn't kill the object of his affection right away.

Our old cat Smitty loved the back of a sofa as a place to relax. Smitty, that sofa and the wallpaper are no longer with us.
SmittyChristmas.jpg

Kameer, RIP, Smitty's buddy, prefered a basket or an open guitar case.
Kameer.jpg

The Yates family no longer has any resident cats, but there are many neighbourhood cats who seem to enjoy making a visit for a cuddle from Maggie or to sit on my lap while I'm having my morning coffee on the deck.
Maggie & Cat 2.jpg,
Around the turn of the century, I played mandolin in a bluegrass band called McCormick (named after the tractor). We would practise at Bob's, the guitar player's house. Bob and his wife had a bunch of cats and one of them liked to sleep in my mandolin case while we played. One day, halfway through a song, the cat stood and started retching. I was getting worried untill she ran across to Al's banjo case, vomited in it, and went back to sleep in my mandolin case. I guess not every cat likes banjo music.

I'd better include a video, so here's my favourite cat song and cat owners will be able to identify.

The In & Out Cat Song - Garrison Keillor

Last edited:
Hello again, Joo ... and thanks for this intriguing week (I think I forgot to mention that last time.) Since the Husband was the second in the line of culpability in my opinion - well, he obviously planned the whole scenario and had his hit man ready and waiting on the bridge - this is a "husband" song. It's an old music hall song about a completely blameless husband, whose only fault is that he has allowed himself to be taken in matrimony by an indefatigable woman with a penchant for "Henry's." Because it's a song that might not be familiar to a lot of people - probably yourself included - I added the lyrics and chords; it's a good one to sing - and play - along to. (Oh, and it is, mercifully, VERY short!)

Last edited:
the guilty in order: 1, The Assassin
(2, Whoever paid the assassin)
3, Wife and Lover
5, Husband and Boatman
(i've added a guilty party as in whoever paid the assassin (if anyone), and some can share their levels of guilt)
And for my 'assassin' song i've chosen Psycho Killer from The Talking Heads ...

I love this theme already. I've been busy the last couple of days, so I haven't had time to properly think it through, but I thought i should at least share a sticker I have on my laptop which pretty much explains... well... explains me.

IMG_0485.jpeg

I think, in practice, I'm going to come up with some unlikely explanation that backs up the song I want to do, whatever that turns out to be, or I'll give up and sing a song about cats. Either way, I'm enjoying all the other answers I've seen so far!

I love this theme already. I've been busy the last couple of days, so I haven't had time to properly think it through, but I thought i should at least share a sticker I have on my laptop which pretty much explains... well... explains me.

View attachment 161963

I think, in practice, I'm going to come up with some unlikely explanation that backs up the song I want to do, whatever that turns out to be, or I'll give up and sing a song about cats. Either way, I'm enjoying all the other answers I've seen so far!
That was my plan!

Welcome to Season 615 - WHO IS MOST GUILTY?

For this week I am gonna play things a little differently.
It requires you to make some choices from a scenario that I have taken from a book by Paul Zindel titled The Pigman.

Please read the scenario description below.

View attachment 161786

"There is a river with a bridge over it and a wife and her husband live in a house on one side. The wife has a lover who lives on the other side of the river, and the only way to get from one side of the river to the other is to walk across the bridge or to ask the boatman to take you. One day the husband tells his wife that he has to be gone all night to handle some business in a faraway town. The wife pleads with him to take her with him because she knows if he doesn’t she will be unfaithful to him. The husband absolutely refuses to take her because she will only be in the way of his important business.

So the husband goes alone. When he is gone, the wife goes over the bridge and stays with her lover. The night passes, and the sun is almost up when the wife leaves because she must get back to her own house before her husband gets home. She starts to cross the bridge, but she sees an assassin waiting for her on the other side, and she knows if she tries to cross, he will murder her. In terror, she runs up the side of the river and asks the boatman to take her across, but he wants fifty cents. She has no money, so he refuses to take her. The wife runs back to the lover’s house, and explains to him what her predicament is. She asks him for fifty cents to pay the boatman. The lover refuses, telling her it’s her own fault for getting into the situation. As dawn comes up, the wife is nearly out of her mind and decides to dash across the bridge. When she comes face to face with the assassin. He takes out a large knife and stabs her to death."

Who is most responsible for the wife's murder? List wife, husband, lover, assassin, and boatman IN THE ORDER you think they are most guilty.

It would be fun to have you share your answers here after you have read my intro post, if you want. If not, you can post your answer when you post your first video.

SO WHAT SONGS DO YOU PLAY THIS WEEK?

Here is an example:
If you list the people most guilty of causing the wife's death in this order -
1. Boatman 2. Husband 3. Wife 4. Lover 5. Assassin
and if you are bringing 5 songs, then you will bring songs in the following order :

1. BOATMAN - any song that mentions any watercraft, water body, or any song that mentions a person who "drives" a boat in the lyrics or title. For example, you can play River Man by Nick Drake, or (Sittin' On) the Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding. Any sea shanty is of course most welcome. For those of you who could not make it for Ila's Sealife season, here is your chance to bring any song about sea life.

2. HUSBAND - any song that is about or mentions husband, spouse, partner, the significant other, marriage, wedding, tying the knot (hope you get the idea) in the lyrics or title. UPDATED : Any songs you played at your wedding, or any song that you sing/sang to your husband, or any songs he likes/liked. For those never married, or if you can't find a suitable song under this theme, any song you consider perfect for a wedding is fine.

3. WIFE - any song that is about or mentions wife, spouse, partner, the significant other, marriage, wedding, tying the knot (I think you get the idea now) in the lyrics or title. UPDATED : Any songs you played at your wedding, or any song that you sing/sang to your wife, or any songs she likes/liked. For those never married, or if you can't find a suitable song under this theme, any song you consider perfect for a wedding is fine..

4. LOVER - any song that is about or mentions lover, cheating or infidelity in the lyrics or title.

5. ASSASSIN - any song about or mentions assassins, serial killers, criminals, the act of killing in the title or lyrics. For example, A to Z Blues by Blind Willie McTell has some brutal lyrics. This same song also qualifies for the LOVER theme, as McTell described in detail how the protagonist plans to carve up his girlfriend for cheating on him. (I know...😱)
However, your song does not have to be about killing. For example, songs like Killing Me Softly With His Song recorded by Roberta Flack are fine.

So, what you will bring this week depends on your answer to the above described scenario. Hope this is clear. :--)

No limit to the number of songs. But the first five songs that you submit must be in the order of your selection. Please state your answer to the described scenario in your first submission/video.
Once you have played through the 5 songs in the order of your selection, you can bring any song from themes 1-5, and as many as you like.

If it is your first time here, you can post any song you like. You don't have to play according to the 5 themes. And you can post as many songs you like.

Only new videos that you make this week.
Rob (wee_ginga_yin) can post older videos.

Start time is 12.00 AM Hawaii time, Sunday 26th Nov.
Finish time is 11.59 PM Hawaii time next Sunday.

Multitracking is fine. But your ukulele must be the main part of your recording.
Collaborations are welcome and encouraged.
Originals are very much encouraged. Please post the lyrics of your originals here.

I would like to see those of you who prefer to post videos without showing yourself make an exception this week. If you are uncomfortable about showing your face, it will still make a difference to me if I can at least see your hands playing the uke.

If showing yourself on video, even with your face cropped out, is not what you like to do, then shoot a video for your song. You can film a walk down the road, for example, or clouds moving in the sky. You can also use images of any art or craft you have made, for e.g. sketches, cartoons, or playdough figures, or photos you have taken to make your videos. No A.I. generated images please. No images taken direct from the internet please (even the copyright-free ones), unless you have altered them or added something to them. I prefer to see a stick man drawn by your hand instead of an intricate, polished picture made by someone else, hope you get the idea.

Please comment on each other's videos. If you don't feel like typing, click the Like button, here and on YT. No one likes to share a video and get no reactions/appreciation and comments. I don't understand what the LIKE button on YT is really for behind the scenes, but as a user of YT myself it is a way I know if my video is appreciated, besides comments. So don't shun that LIKE.

There will be no prizes this week. But if I change my mind I will let you know.

I think this is it, for now.

Oh, don't forget Andy's week is still on. There is still time to bring him songs from those specific bands, or write an original or 2 about being grateful.

Have fun!

UPDATE: If you find this theme not your cup of tea, you can bring any song about your cat, or songs you sing to your cat, or any cat songs.

PLAYLIST
You’re so creative, Joo!

View attachment 161963

With your fearless attempts to cover long Dylan songs you could probably do 12 minutes of Desolation Row and cover all suspects..pretty sure T.S. Elliot was a boatman before he took up the poems lark:)

Hello again, Joo ... and thanks for this intriguing week (I think I forgot to mention that last time.) Since the Husband was the second in the line of culpability in my opinion - well, he obviously planned the whole scenario and had his hit man ready and waiting on the bridge - this is a "husband" song. It's an old music hall song about a completely blameless husband, whose only fault is that he has allowed himself to be taken in matrimony by an indefatigable woman with a penchant for "Henry's." Because it's a song that might not be familiar to a lot of people - probably yourself included - I added the lyrics and chords; it's a good one to sing - and play - along to. (Oh, and it is, mercifully, VERY short!)

Val, I’m glad you got this one! In my view, this could satisfy two of the characters. Enery (the husband) and the widow (who clearly was a serial killer … who else has seven husbands, all named Enery?). 🤓

Alan @AlanDP said that he does not know any other cat songs besides the one about Felix the Cat, so I have found Season 140 for all of you to have a look. That was hosted by Matty Dee.

MORE CAT SONGS HERE, EVERYONE!

Feel free to bring any cat songs in between your 'suspects" songs, or after. I think Jim just brought another cat song, thanks Jim!

Last edited:
This could become a 2-week excursion. Has that ever been done before?

<edit> Suzanne takes me down...

<edit 2> Perhaps my enthusiasm for all the interpretations and performances related to the puzzle got the best of me.

Last edited:
Reactions: joo
This could become a 2-week excursion. Has that ever been done before?
No I don't think so. But we can make that happen, if Edwin who is hosting next week wants to continue....

Here's The Lover. A traditional song of infidelity and karmic life on the ocean waves. This has been sung by most folkies at some time. Lyrics vary .Song is sometimes titled The Daemon Lover These are Dylan's lyrics. Baritone tuned DGBD with some added acoustic guitar tuned down to Open D for the ominous rumble.

Top Bottom