Season 615 - Who Is Most Guilty?

I don't think we can have too much "Ferryman" this week, can we, Joo?
We can have as many Ferryman as we like, Wendy!
No one does the same song exactly the same. unless you are a robot. :---D

Ballad Of Jesse James

My #2 choice was the Assassin. Robert Ford was an assassin who shot Jesse James (who was living under the alias Mr. Howard) in exchange for a reward and a pardon. There are a few versions of this song, some making Jesse out to be a Robin Hood type and others portraying him as a cold blooded thief and killer. The composer is unknown, although some versions include this verse, there is the theory that the name Gashade was used because it rhymed.

This song was made by Billy Gashade
As soon as the news did arrive
He said there's no man with the law in his hand
Could take Jesse James when alive.

This is one of the first songs I ever played on stage at a Boy Scout talent show circa 1960, as one third of The Rovers Three, a fledgling folk trio.

Thanks for hosting, Joo!
#1: The Assassin - killers be killin'
#2: The Lover - Infidelity is not a capital offense, and being a crummy husband is not a crime. But when someone you're close to (or anyone!) says "Hey, I need half a dollar to take the boat, or the guy at the bridge is going to literally murder me" you're more than a little responsible for what comes next.
Pulled this one together in record time! One day I might be comfortable enough to have facial expressions while I play, but until then y'all get my "I'm too busy to emote" face.
Cole Porter wrote this song on the fly at a party as a High Society parody of a cowboy's lament heard on the radio. I think we can all agree Ms. Otis has a very good reason for missing lunch.

Val, I’m glad you got this one! In my view, this could satisfy two of the characters. Enery (the husband) and the widow (who clearly was a serial killer … who else has seven husbands, all named Enery?). 🤓
Do you know, Rick, that never occurred to me! I was thinking that - in her enthusiasm for "'Enery's" - this indefatigable woman had just worn them all out. You have made a very good point and I have, indeed, covered two birds with one stone; which is just as well as I shan't be coming back again this week.

Last edited:
Hi again everyone,
I was going through the playlist just now and I noticed that a few of the videos are not showing my comments, Paul (@dr_mitch )'s I Fought The Law is one. (I liked that shirt you are wearing in your video, Paul, and I talked about the reverby sound of your electric uke...but my comment is not showing.)

I think sometimes I type a comment, and instead of Enter I might have "cancel" it. I have done that before. especially when I type from my phone. I am still at work. Will fix this when I get home.

Please keep the songs coming!
And, if you can, and i think you should, try to check out what the rest have brought. Dark songs, cautionary tales, lighthearted songs, and cats, cats.....
We have everything this week.

Thanks for the enthusiasm and songs so far!

The Greek philosopher Aristotle proposed that witnessing tragic events in art or music allows for the purging of emotions, a cleansing that can be both therapeutic and enlightening. Love stories with tragic conclusions provide a safe space for listeners to process and experience a range of emotions vicariously. Music can be cathartic.

History and literature are full of tragic lovers. It seems to be a common experience that all that ends does not end well... take Romeo and Juliet for example. We seem to romanticise and fantasise love relationships... the one that is perfect for us is a dream lover.

Last edited:
Hi again everyone,
I was going through the playlist just now and I noticed that a few of the videos are not showing my comments, Paul (@dr_mitch )'s I Fought The Law is one. (I liked that shirt you are wearing in your video, Paul, and I talked about the reverby sound of your electric uke...but my comment is not showing.)

I think sometimes I type a comment, and instead of Enter I might have "cancel" it. I have done that before. especially when I type from my phone. I am still at work. Will fix this when I get home.

Please keep the songs coming!
And, if you can, and i think you should, try to check out what the rest have brought. Dark songs, cautionary tales, lighthearted songs, and cats, cats.....
We have everything this week.

Thanks for the enthusiasm and songs so far!
Thank-you! Weirdly, my video shows that there are four comments, but only three show. I’m not sure whether that helps diagnosis. The count and the comments not matching has happened before on videos.

1. Assassin
2. Husband
3. Lover
4. Wife
5. Boatman

So, from the top of my list, one by The Human League, about (possibly) the most famous assassin of them all.

I found it tricky to decide an ordering since there's lots of information left out of the scenario, presumably deliberately. It's interesting to read all the different takes on it. Personally, I want to know more information, and in the absence of any, I decided to make some up. I have decided that the husband is too wrapped up in his work to even remember that he has a wife, and the lover really ought to be more willing to help out, but I've also decided that the boatman has hired the assassin because, if it's dangerous to use the bridge, it's only going to be good for his business isn't it? So: Boatman, Assassin, Lover, Wife, Husband

I think I mostly came up with that because I wanted to do this Billy Joel song about a boatman. Just a quick one-take effort over lunch...

Hey everyone, this is me doing my night report here.

I have watched and commented on every video up till Steve's. I need to be fresh to watch Edwin's tomorrow. Too tired now.

A few things I wanna quickly say-

Renaissance-Man, @Renaissance-Man -
if you are here reading this, I wanna say Thank You for showing part of yourself as you bring us your reflective, beautiful instrumental of Black Bird on your wonderful guitalele. In my intro I did mention about showing yourself on camera when you play, and although you started out doing that, you have been posting a still image with your recordings for weeks. And that is fine too, I do think the song is most important. However, I asked for something different this week, and I appreciate that you made that effort to do that. So thanks for that. You mentioned that was your only entry for this week. Well, this place is a home for your songs if you have made or are making more songs this week. I (and i know everyone else here) have been enjoying your submissions since you joined us.

Jon @mountain goat -
We have not seen you for some 2 months now? or less?
It was awesome to see and hear you last week at Andy's. And so, so good to have 2 songs from you here! Both very powerful performances too. Looking forward to more from you, if you feel inclined and inspired.

Chris @chris667 -
Been great hearing your submissions lately! And good to have you back after a long absence!

Well, these are the 3 things off my head now as I am slowly fading away....bed time!

I will be back tomorrow, of course!
Keep the songs coming!

Last edited:
My third most guilty person is the lover. To say that this guy is a total jerk is being kind. His cheapness, callousness and heartless response to her peril is unbelievable. My third song is Norwegian Wood, a "veiled" song about an affair written by John Lennon about an affair by John Lennon.

Here's my first. It is from the viewpoint of The Husband of the story.

When I wrote this back in summer, I had a certain sympathy for my narrator, but thanks to Joo's theme, I have been able to see the song in an entirely different light and offer it here as evidence of his culpability. 😉

PS - He's dressed as he is because I think most of the evil in the world is carried out by men in suits!

Rattlesnake Mountain - P.D. (learned from Patrick Sky) with a hat for Joo.

A song with a message and I've always tried to live my life by the lesson in the moral of this song.

#3 on my list was "Lover" ( or "lee-wy-lover" in this song).

P.S. - If anyone is thinking of learning this song, I realised that I left out the middle verse:

Oh Johnny Dee-wy-dear why did you gee-wy-go down to the fee-wy-fields of hay for to mee-wy-mow?
To my roo dye roo dye roo
A Sally Dee-wy-dear I thought you Knee-wy-knowed when the hay is ree-wy-ripe it's gotta be mee-wy-mowed
To my roo dye roo dye roo

I have to remember to take a big breath before singing each line. I missed a couple.

some semantics - assassins and hitmen are not really the same - assassins have their own reasons for killing
and assigning levels of guilt is a bit like casting that first stone
so a tangental paoriginal for 615
rough straight to phone - we're travelling

lyrics
are we not them
are they not us
we accuse and judge
and thus
we are the lover
the unfaithful wife
unless we've led
a perfect life

we are the boatman
greedy mean
we too the assassin
cruel obscene
the uncaring husband
we could be him
only cast stones
if without sin

Alan @AlanDP said that he does not know any other cat songs besides the one about Felix the Cat, so I have found Season 140 for all of you to have a look. That was hosted by Matty Dee.

MORE CAT SONGS HERE, EVERYONE!

Feel free to bring any cat songs in between your 'suspects" songs, or after. I think Jim just brought another cat song, thanks Jim!
Oh, I didn't start until season 150.

Reactions: joo
... a tangental
paoriginal for 615
rough straight to phone - we're travelling

lyrics
are we not them
are they not us
we accuse and judge
and thus
we are the lover
the unfaithful wife
unless we've led
a perfect life

we are the boatman
greedy mean
we too the assassin
cruel obscene
the uncaring husband
we could be him
only cast stones
if without sin
That's some beautiful picking.

Reactions: joo
here is my second choice - Husband.
his wife was pleading him to take her along and he didn't want her to "get in the way of his important business in a faraway town that takes place overnight"? Boy. Hope this does not happen too often. well....she is dead now anyway.

Here is a quick clawhammer ukulele practice with a traditional song i love.
i tuned my uke one full step down the other day in order to be able to sing an Elizabeth Cotten song. I really should have tuned it back up for this song...but I didn't.

the uke i am playing is a cheap little laminated black walnut soprano. i like it a lot.
(actually, I love the uke tuned down 1 full step. It sounds like a little animal crying or moaning when you do hammer-ons or pull-offs...)

Top Bottom