Season 615 - Who Is Most Guilty?

Hi again everyone,
I was going through the playlist just now and I noticed that a few of the videos are not showing my comments, Paul (@dr_mitch )'s I Fought The Law is one. (I liked that shirt you are wearing in your video, Paul, and I talked about the reverby sound of your electric uke...but my comment is not showing.)

I think sometimes I type a comment, and instead of Enter I might have "cancel" it. I have done that before. especially when I type from my phone. I am still at work. Will fix this when I get home.

Please keep the songs coming!
And, if you can, and i think you should, try to check out what the rest have brought. Dark songs, cautionary tales, lighthearted songs, and cats, cats.....
We have everything this week.

Thanks for the enthusiasm and songs so far!
Joo, your comment about my sweater got me looking for a potential replacement since it's getting a little bit raggedy. At this price I might get 2! If you're interested in branching out into other small predators, you can find the nerdy fox here. https://www.amazon.com/GirlzWalk-Glasses-Pullover-Knitted-Sweater/dp/B0795YJV4S?th=1

Some folks just kill for fun.

Little bit of Bruce the Boss. Taken from the album of the same name Nebraska. He made a stark and spare recording using very simple chords (A D G) The song somehow reminds me of the movie Natural born killers, but I do not know if the stories are related.

The song however is based on the true story of 19 year old spree killer Charles Starkweather and his fourteen year-old girlfriend, Caril Ann Fugate,

A memorable quote from the movie says

"Mickey and Mallory know the difference between right and wrong; they just don't give a damn."

And this sentiment and lack of conscience is also echoed in the song.

• Love
Reactions: joo
Here is number two - The Assassin. Again this is a song I wrote for FAWM 50/90 this last summer that Joo's theme gives an extra twist to.
I think of this character as one of those anti-heroes from 1940s Hard Boiled Detective films ("Cine Noir") - but I rarely, if ever, rooted for the protagonist, but rather hoped he'd get his comeuppance. I guess in Dungeons and Dragons terms I am a natural Lawful 😉

I've covered all five characters plus cats, so now I'm in my free-for-all portion of the week.

Here's a song called "A Lover's Concerto" by The Toys, which also happens to be an excellent vocal warmup song, because it modulates three times - all the way from C to Eb!

So please let's warm up our voices together.

And please do watch (and sing along!) all the way through from beginning to end - I think you will be really happy (and all warmed up!) if you do.

Don't cheat yourself by skipping around.
(Really!)

third choice - LOVER!

An original song written in 2015.
here is a version with cartoons.
Today when I sang this song, I realise the lady in it might be bald....
by the way, as a Chinese Asian my hair is brownish black. But lots of Asian women dye their hair.
I played my Valencia guitalele, very rustily. It needs more TLC from me!

Words here!
she found a strand of hair on his jacket.
strawberry blond and very long.
he said it was his mother who came to visit, from the old folks' home.
another strand of hair was found in his car.
jet black, smelling of lavender.
he said it was the insurance agent Amanda, who suffered from asthma.
on their bed she found another strand of hair.
sort of like...chestnut brown.
"who was here?" she asked,"
go to sleep!" he frowned.
their floor is so clean it squeaks like a mouse.
yet she found a strand of hair in the bathtub.
short, coarse, and golden brown.
she broke down and cried and cried and cried and cried.

"that's our dog Fifi, you crazy lady!"

Joo, your comment about my sweater got me looking for a potential replacement since it's getting a little bit raggedy. At this price I might get 2! If you're interested in branching out into other small predators, you can find the nerdy fox here. https://www.amazon.com/GirlzWalk-Glasses-Pullover-Knitted-Sweater/dp/B0795YJV4S?th=1
Oh that's so cute! I love foxes too! The mint green sweater is what I will buy if i buy one. They look sort of on the lighter side, are they? Good for spring I suppose? Where I live, Marin, I don't need sweaters! (i call them jumpers) Unless I wear them in a cool air-con room. It is currently 29degrees Celsius and it goes up to 33 during the day. Same like this all year round. :---)

My fourth most guilty pick is the boatman. According to the facts in the story he only rejected the wife's request for a boat ride across the river because she didn't have the fare. I would imagine that if he were told of her circumstance that he would have given her a ride for free or for later payment but who knows? The song I chose is My Dear Someone by Gillian Welch and David Rawlings. In the song she sings of building a boat and sailing along in the dreams of a dear someone yet to be met.

The storyline in this song (which includes an unmentioned lover who had a hand in creating the heartbreak) reminds me of our opening premise. Who is responsible for these deaths? Him? Her? Assassin alcohol? Brad Paisley?

My list was: 1. Wife, 2. Lover, 3. Husband, 4. Assassin, 5. Boatman. Am I blaming the victim? Well yes, but I think she was not just a passive victim but an active "actor" in her life. So, an anti-marriage song for the wife: "White Wedding" (1982) by Billy Idol.

Second for me this week, this time for The Lover with a jug band song involving infidelity. The lyrics also mention wife, but my wife song will wait.

Last edited:
Oh, and Joo, I have just deleted the "spoiler" part of my initial post. 'Tis not my intent to sabotage your week and I had no idea when I posted my new-found knowledge that I was causing you problems; it was just interesting - and puzzling - to read. (And, in fairness, this information is available to anyone, such as myself, who is an inveterate "Googler.")
Well, perhaps some of you might have read the "spoiler" part of Val's post earlier this week.
I admit i was surprised that she posted that when people were/are still making choices.
Maybe I sound childish but it IS a game and it is more fun in my opinion to cast your votes without knowing what each character represents in this riddle. Or, for those who already know, like myself - to "play the game" without thinking what each character means.
I am glad Val removed that spoiler part about 2 hours after I told her.

Anyway, I thought I will share this now, mid week. It was my plan to "reveal" what each characters represents when I posted the theme.

Paul Zindel, whose book The Pigman was where I first saw this riddle, said : "I got it from the famous playwright Edward Albee who told me about it the night he and I had a meal together. He told me he learned it in Greece."

This is what each character represents :

Wife - Fun

Husband - Love

Lover - Sex

Assassin - Money

Boatman - Magic

In the book, the Pigman told this riddle to his 2 young friends, and both of them chose the Boatman as the most guilty.
The Pigman said to them : ...that means you are both most interested in Magic.

Well, to me, this is an interesting riddle which makes people think. It (what each character represents) might make sense to a few people, but total nonsense to others, or most.
However, your choice will determine what songs to play and in what order (just something different for the Seasons, I thought).

I hope everyone is enjoying this theme so far.

I welcome any mini discussions or debate if anyone is interested. When and if we feel a need to discuss more about this, then please post more comments on the Seasonistas yakking thread. Let's see how everyone respond....OK?

PS. I also want to say this - sometimes, I do have problems reading and understanding comments here that are meant as Jokes. I like the playful nature of some of the posts here and I enjoy jokes a lot, but sometimes I just simply can't tell when a person mean what she/he says. I am sure this is not a cultural thing. To play safe and avoid misunderstandings, I always take what I read as WHAT they are written.

Last edited:
View attachment 161937View attachment 161938
While Mr T is pretending to sleep but keeping an eye on EVERYTHING.....

We currently have
5 suspects,
22 videos,
1 cat,
3 actually, Seamus the rodent destroyer,
and
the fabulous Felix,
brought by AlanDP,

and
16 uke-players playing judges to this perplexing scenario,
with another 2 musicians backing Wendy up,
one playing guitar and the other bass,
their names are John and Mick.

Who is the most guilty?

Stay tuned for more findings.....

PS. I have left out one highly suspicious person donning a mask while playing a lovely instrumental at post #73.
Could he be the mastermind of this crime?
I thought I should continue keeping the numbers here....

So far this is what we have got:

14 people chose the Assassin as the most culpable.

8 people thought the Wife had herself to blame.

3 people are sure it is the Husband.

2 people went for the Boatmen.

1 person thinks the Lover is the most cupable.

1 person blames the "omnipotent omniscient and omnipresent God".

1 person did not make a choice.

1 person confessed to killing the Wife.

as for Cats, so far we have :

5 cat songs!

very delightful, all of them.
Thanks to AlanDP, Canada Jim, chris667, UkeCan1 and wee_ginga_yin!

I have a few more videos to comment on. Will be back later.
THANKS FOR THE SONGS! Keep them coming in please!

So please let's warm up our voices together.

And please do watch (and sing along!) all the way through from beginning to end - I think you will be really happy (and all warmed up!) if you do.

Don't cheat yourself by skipping around.
(Really!)
omg i am shedding tears of laughter (really!).....you are a fun crazy lady, Wendy!

people, watch the video, Wendy at one of her best 😂

Well, perhaps some of you might have read the "spoiler" part of Val's post earlier this week.
I admit i was surprised that she posted that when people were/are still making choices.
Maybe I sound childish but it IS a game and it is more fun in my opinion to cast your votes without knowing what each character represents in this riddle. Or, for those who already know, like myself - to "play the game" without thinking what each character means.
I am glad Val removed that spoiler part about 2 hours after I told her.

Anyway, I thought I will share this now, mid week. It was my plan to "reveal" what each characters represents when I posted the theme.

Paul Zindel, whose book The Pigman was where I first saw this riddle, said : "I got it from the famous playwright Edward Albee who told me about it the night he and I had a meal together. He told me he learned it in Greece."

This is what each character represents :

Wife - Fun

Husband - Love

Lover - Sex

Assassin - Money

Boatman - Magic

In the book, the Pigman told this riddle to his 2 young friends, and both of them chose the Boatman as the most guilty.
The Pigman said to them : ...that means you are both most interested in Magic.

Well, to me, this is an interesting riddle which makes people think. It (what each character represents) might make sense to a few people, but total nonsense to others, or most.
However, your choice will determine what songs to play and in what order (just something different for the Seasons, I thought).

I hope everyone is enjoying this theme so far.

I welcome any mini discussions or debate if anyone is interested. When and if we feel a need to discuss more about this, then please post more comments on the Seasonistas yakking thread. Let's see how everyone respond....OK?

PS. I also want to say this - sometimes, I do have problems reading and understanding comments here that are meant as Jokes. I like the playful nature of some of the posts here and I enjoy jokes a lot, but sometimes I just simply can't tell when a person mean what she/he says. I am sure this is not a cultural thing. To play safe and avoid misunderstandings, I always take what I read as WHAT they are written.
Oh, dear, Joo! I have already explained to you countless times that it was never my intention to spoil your week ... I was just passing on something that I'd read and that I thought, in the general preliminary discussion we were engaging in, others might find interesting. (I previously knew nothing about either the book or the Assassin's Riddle, so, being one with an enquiring mind, I "Googled.") I still don't understand why you thought that I posted that information with malicious intent ... I can't read your mind, so I had no idea that you were intending to have a "big reveal" later in the week. As soon as I realised that you felt I should remove the "spoiler," I did. Anyway, that notwithstanding, you are having a very successful week and everyone is having fun. And, fear not ... I have already left the building!

Reactions: joo
If I Had A Boat - Lyle Lovett

My #4 was the boatman.

Roy Rogers is down by the creek fishing when the cavalry rides up. The sergeant of the cavalry says, "Roy, Roy...outlaws have burned down your ranch!"
Roy throws down his fishing pole angrily and starts running toward the ranch. "Wait, Roy," says the sergeant. "Come back, there's more!" Roy comes back and the sergeant says, "They kidnapped Dale!"
Infuriated, Roy turns and starts running toward the ranch. "Wait, Roy, come back, there's more," the sergeant says. Roy comes back ...and the sergeant says, "They stole Trigger too!" Now Roy is really about to explode, and he heads toward the ranch. The sergeant says, "Roy, wait!"
Roy Rogers comes back and with hatred in his eyes yells, "NOW WHAT!!!"
The sergeant says, "How 'bout a song before you go?"

Last edited:
Thanks for hosting Joo. It's all too easy to apportion one person as a victim but In scenarios like this they could all be victims of circumstance. The wife a victim of murder, the Husband a victim of Infidelity, the Boatman a victim of guilt, the Assassin possibly the victim of poverty/financial troubles? The last woman to be hung in the UK was Ruth Ellis for shooting and killing her habitually cheating boyfriend, It divided opinion in the country. In a crime of passion and lengthy mental torture I know exactly where my sympathies lay. Destabilise someone's mental health and rational thinking at your own peril I say. My first choice WIFE ........

Last edited:
And, fear not ... I have already left the building!
I am sorry about the misunderstanding.
Come and play us some songs, if you are still in the building.

Here is my 4th character - Assassin.
A little home-made sillie.

EDIT: another quick impromptu song about "killing"

Last edited:
Top Bottom