Season 615 - Who Is Most Guilty?

I have just caught up with all videos, thank you everyone for your display of imagination, creativity and musicianship!
Please let me know if I have left you out of the playlist.
I will check back later!

1. the assassin
2. the lover
3. the husband
4. the wife
5. the boatman

Sorry I have not been able to participate much lately... many responsibilities at home are taking up most of my time. Thanks for all you do for The Seasons, Joo!

So, I answered the question and thought I would record something.

No time to learn a new song, so here is one I have done before. Recorded outside on my phone, trying to avoid waking my son from his nap. Also the weather looks appropriate for the song 😂

My order put the Assassin as most guilty, followed by the husband who either hired him or was so scary that the wife would rather face a killer than have him discover the affair.
Then, not guilty but with more responsibility for her own safety than the lover and Boatman, I put the wife.

This song covers my top three - Killer, husband and wife. The killer happens to be the husband here, but I guess it goes. I wont have time to find a song with lovers on boats unfortunately 😆

Edit: I realize now that the narrator himself, the killer and husband, is not mentioned in the lyrics as so - and the killing only mentioned as "final doom", not described in detail. I hope that the implied existence is enough 🤔. After all, it is a murder ballad of sorts.

Last edited:
Next up, a boat song. Charlie Crockett re-gendered this incredible Tanya Tucker song and gave it to a new generation of music fans. Boy did I smile the first time I heard him play it. If you don’t know who Charlie is yet, I think you will soon, he is that good.

This was the first tune that popped into my head after reading Joo’s theme. Great bring and IMHO your best ever. The 2nd I thought of was another that became a big hit for Tanya. Husband was the (justified) killer in that 2nd tune.

Thanks for your songs, Christopher and Mikkel.
I have not listened yet, but I will tomorrow when I am feeling refreshed.
They've been added to the playlist now.

And so good to hear Tim got through his pneumonia, Tom!

See you all tomorrow, everyone!
Keep the songs coming!

Thank you for this very different and interesting theme, Joo! My opinion:
1. Husband
2. Assassin
3. Lover
4. Wife
5. Boatman

Long Black Veil
Lefty Frizzell’s folksy tear jerking 1959 tune was the first to come to mind after Tanya Tucker’s “That Georgia Sun”, which I hope someone will post (and may have already done so).
In light of its past (passed?) tense, I’ve always believed this tune should be sung with a substantial lisp, at an increasingly- slowing tempo to indicate rigor mortis.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Originals are very much encouraged. Please post the lyrics of your originals here.

PLAYLIST
Edited

The Boatman
(Am - C6 - Am - C6 - G - D)
I said
Here come the boatman
Smellin’ like your perfume
I said
Here come the boatman
He be smellin’ like your perfume
Where do you go
By the light of the moon

Where is all the money did you
Really take it all, I said
Where is all the money did you
Really take it all
What’s a man to do with his
Back against the wall

I got my shotgun with a
Double barrel load
I got my shotgun with a
Double barrel load
One barrel for the boatman and
One is for the lies you told

I packed up all your s** and I
threw it on the grass
Yeah I, packed up all your s** and I
threw it on the grass
Soaked it down with gasoline and
turned it into ash

(Uke/Harmonica Solo)

Now I
Need to cross the river before the
Police take me down
Need to cross the river before the
Police take me down
But there, ain’t no boatman
Ain’t no boatman around

Ain’t no boatman
Ain’t no boatman
No boatman around(repeat fade)

Last edited:
My Grandmother's Cat - probably Garrison Keillor, although I've seen it credited to others

This is such a long song and I just learned it. I had to flip the page part way through and I really should've practised a few days more, but here we are.
It is a parody of My Grandfather's Clock by Henry Clay Work.

I was initially going to re-record Psycho Killer and see if I could play it better, but since it had already been covered a couple of times this season, I decided to tackle GnR's Used to Love Her.

Luckily, @bobjking was game to do this one with me and it turned out to be a blast! BTW, I had no idea you were bringing an 8 string to this. I almost feel bad making you tune down a half step!

EDIT - It sounds great though, so I think it was worth it.

Last edited:
Wow., thanks for the entries that came in since I last checked!
I am going to sit down with a cup of coffee and listen to them shortly.

Here is a sample I made of the 12 songs on this page so far. I clicked everything simultaneously, and recorded them.
I used a painting I made for the video. Doesn't it sound like a debate?

EDIT: I noticed Jon has removed his 4 posts. Not sure why he did that but his songs are on the playlist.
Check them out. They are amazing

Last edited:
Here's a very old cat song--the song is very old anyway--from 1866! I went looking for cat songs and found this. Might have been written for a child, not sure.
Alan, you always bring it home.

We have a granddaughter we call "Housecat" because she was/is, even though she now lives near Tempe, AZ. Hi-yah, Ayana!

Last edited:
Wow., thanks for the entries that came in since I last checked!
I am going to sit down with a cup of coffee and listen to them shortly.

Here is a sample I made of the 12 songs on this page so far. I clicked everything simultaneously, and recorded them.
I used a painting I made for the video. Doesn't it sound like a debate?

EDIT: I noticed Jon has removed his 4 posts. Not sure why he did that but his songs are on the playlist.
Check them out. They are amazing

Sounds like the chatter at a exclusive party, at a first exhibition being held at a prestigious art gallery.

Here's a very old cat song--the song is very old anyway--from 1866! I went looking for cat songs and found this. Might have been written for a child, not sure.

the most charming, wonderful thing I heard this week. Sweet, delightful cat song.
Please give this a listen, everyone. Especially cat lovers.

OK. So this is my final submission (unless the muse comes calling) for this great week. It's the FULL STORY & PICS (well, not so much of the latter) from the Wife's P.O.V.

I hope I am not "cancelled" for doing this in costume... the option was to shave off my beard and in Winter I am very reluctant to do that. 😉

Or I hope I don't get accused of cultural appropriation... or some such. Saying you need to be a woman, gay, of a different race or religion, etc in order to be able play a particular part surely implies that each category of human being cannot empathise with another - which is not a way to bring us together, but rather drives a wedge between each and every one of us. Long live empathy for those who are different! Rant over... please enjoy the song.

The husband was a drunk and his trips away were only an excuse for drinking, and looking after the baby at times was too much so the wife found consolation across the river.

Here's a song I never thought I'd record, but had a ton of fun doing it. It's Shaggy's 'It Wasn't Me."

I multitracked with my concert Pohaku, a classical for the bass, and a djembe for some percussion + two vocal tracks for the two characters... and characters they are. The lyrics are so ridiculous, I had to include them for your reading pleasure.

I drew the Oompa Loompa when I was learning how to use a tablet for art a while back. I thought it would be a good plug for the upcoming 'Wonka' film, dropping on Dec. 15th!!!

It Wasn't Me

Yo
(Open up, man) What do you want, man?
(My girl just caught me) You let her catch you?
(I don't know how I let this happen) With who?
(The girl next door, you know) Man
(I don't know what to do) Say it wasn't you
(Alright)

Honey came in and she caught me red-handed
Creeping with the girl next door
Picture this, we were both butt-naked
Banging on the bathroom floor
How could I forget that I had
Given her an extra key
All this time she was standing there
She never took her eyes off me

How you can give your woman access to your villa?
Trespass and a-witness while you cling to your pillow
You better watch your back before she turn into a killer
Let's review the situation that you caught up in a
To be a true player you have to know how to play
If she stay a night, convince her stay a day
Never admit to a word when she say
And if she claim, ah, you tell her, "Baby, no way"

But she caught me on the counter (It wasn't me)
Saw me bangin' on the sofa (It wasn't me)
I even had her in the shower (It wasn't me)
She even caught me on camera (It wasn't me)
She saw the marks on my shoulder (It wasn't me)
Heard the words that I told her (It wasn't me)
Heard the scream get louder (It wasn't me)
She stayed until it was over

I had tried to keep her
From what she was about to see
Why should she believe me
When I told her it wasn't me

Make sure she knows it's not you and lead her on no right to vex
Whenever you should see her make the gigolo flex
Somebody else as it be by you, it not that complex
Seeing is believing so you better change your specs
You know she are gon' bring 'bout things up from the past
All the little evidence you better know to mask
Quick upon your answer: go over there
But if she pack a gun you know you better run fast

But she caught me on the counter (It wasn't me)
Saw me bangin' on the sofa (It wasn't me)
I even had her in the shower (It wasn't me)
She even caught me on camera (Nah, it wasn't me)
She saw the marks on my shoulder (It wasn't me)
Heard the words that I told her (It wasn't me)
Heard the scream get louder (It wasn't me)
She stayed until it was over

Given her an extra key

Gonna tell her that I'm sorry
For the pain that I've caused
I've been listening to your reasonin'
It makes no sense at all
We should tell her that I'm sorry
For the pain that I've caused
You may think that you're a player
But you're completely lost
That's why I sing

Given her an extra key

oh Chris's @hands_on_lanzon video above really lifted up my mood. Gray day here and feeling sorta lazy, and this really made me smile, Chris.
It is not just how good it is, but the feeling it gives me. I love that you are so into your ukuleles and playing and into trying out new things and putting yourself totally into your video every time. I remember you mentioned about learning to sing out when you first joined us, since you were more at home with playing instrumentals then. Now, LISTEN TO WHAT YOU JUST POSTED!!!! SO good, Chris. So good.
And that cartoon - if that doesn't make anyone smile, then I ....I don't know what else would.

Also. I love all those lovely old songs Alan @AlanDP finds and performs for us. Some of them, actually, most of them are quite quirky too. I also enjoy the backstories he gives us with his submissions. I am a fan, Alan.
Thank you so much for your songs. I am so glad you are posting more regularly here. Your originals are fantastic too. You are such a wonderful contributor here.

And Jim @Canada Jim - I am a big fan of Jim. I can listen to you sing all day Jim. Because I get to admire your hats too. I love hats. And also, you are one of the very few Seasonistas here who tries to comment on everyone's videos weekly, or most of the time. And that is really sweet. Thank you, Jim!

Speaking of commenting on everyone's videos....SABINE! :love: Thank you for being such an encouraging and generous Seasonista! I am blown away by the way you play up the fret with such grace...and I always like the songs you choose to play! @Ms Bean

It was really nice to see Mikkel with a traditional he played in his backyard(is it?) when it was snowing lightly. Such a sweet tune. Mikkel's clawhammer sounds just lovely. And what a lovely filmic video that was. @UkingViking

Joko is a joy to watch, even when he is covered in sweat playing in what looks like some place hotter than Singapore. (Myanmar is not hotter than us i think. ) No sweltering heat this week, but an awesome cover on a great sounding baritone, and wearing a soft-looking cowboy hat! @Joko

OK, that's all for now. When you start talking good things about someone it seems rude not to mention everyone now!
I just had a sudden urge to write these things down.

ANd yeah I will be back. Not a fan of typing but I want to and love to share how much I love this little community.
Thanks for the songs, everyone!
Keep them coming!

Later.

Last edited:
And now it's time for the Wife with another old song (written in 1911, first recorded 1928). It's named as blues, but it's really cheerful, especially in comparison to me last song. There are many versions, with varying lyrics, including from Mike Seeger, Taj Mahal and the Loving Spoonful. And Disney for that matter.

Top Bottom