Season 618 - Seasonal Songs

Happy holidays and lunch time recording sessions! I had a slightly jazzier recording of this a few takes before but realized (after the fact) that I wasn't recording the video on my iphone. A slightly more frustrated take shown here :D

Uku is Pono Master Series tenor (spruce/rosewood) from the ukulele site
Strings uke logic low g pink soft
arr. by Yuji at Ukulele Time on patreon

Hi Steve!
I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to participate still..I’ve just gotten over Covid and we all know how it lingers. Anyway..Wendy’s Aussie Jingle Bells reminded me of this silly song from a group called Da Yoopers (The Yoopers)…..

A bit of a background story:
I’m from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It, of course, is abbreviated to the U.P. and is also shortened to the Yoop. People from here are called Yoopers and we have a pretty distinct accent—similar to the Finnish accent because there are a lot of Finns in this area. So, anyway, this group, Da Yoopers, made a version of this song, sung in a thick Yooper accent, about a Yooper and what it’s like for him to drive around here in the winter during Christmastime. Haha :)
I’m hoping to be able to get a different song in this week (I was wanting to do it Sunday for Sabine’s season too, but that couldn’t happen). So for now..here is a silly song inspired by Wendy. Thanks for the encouragement to do it, Wendy! It was fun:)
Happy Holidays to everyone here❤️💚

...I recorded two tonight.
This one I first encountered from Harry Connick Jr. on the When Harry Met Sally soundtrack. If I were to throw together a top-10 most personally influential albums list, that soundtrack would be right at the top. In my late teens it sent me down a Big Band rabbit hole leading me to Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Count Basie etc, and the great singers of the time, Ethel Waters, Billie Holiday, Peggy Lee, and of course the queen, Ella Fitzgerald. I'll probably come back with a few other songs I first heard on that album in future seasons.

If anyone is a toxic ghost then it could be applied to me since it is rare that I post anything new... I am a ghost of my former self, and it shows in the way I play and sing.

I do self censor myself... I may try to do something new, but if does not cut the mustard then I can't bring myself to post it.

Jon of the other hand is a talented musician and when it comes to song writing, a poet, who has recreated himself in many guises over the many years I have listened to him on UU.

People acheive some sort of fame for being good at something, but you can also become famous for being bad at something... the ski jumper Eddie the eagle, who was blind as a bat, and risked his life every time he jumped, or Eric the ell the Olympic swimmer who nearly drowned in the pool.

Glorious Failures... we admire them for trying.

We ofter remember people for the wrong reasons, especially at winter sports.

I know that there ain’t much hope
That I’ll ever get out on a ski slope
No matter how hard you might plea
I’m never gonna make it on a pair of skis

Chorus
I don’t like winter sports
Though I live in the snow country
I don’t like the snow
And the snow don’t like me

I often think that it would be real nice
To wear a sparkly suit and skate on ice
But now I know that it’s way to late
No pirruettes or jumps on a ice skate

Those ski jump towers are high in the sky
If I jumped off one of them I just might die
No Eddie the eagle, ain’t that kind of stuff
If I broke a fingernail and say enough is enough

This is ME! I never got past the dry ski slopes, where I distinguished myself by hanging on to the Instructor's hair while he skied backwards down the slope in front of me ... never again! (And Rob, you could NEVER be a ghost!)

Hi Steve!
I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to participate still..I’ve just gotten over Covid and we all know how it lingers. Anyway..Wendy’s Aussie Jingle Bells reminded me of this silly song from a group called Da Yoopers (The Yoopers)…..

A bit of a background story:
I’m from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It, of course, is abbreviated to the U.P. and is also shortened to the Yoop. People from here are called Yoopers and we have a pretty distinct accent—similar to the Finnish accent because there are a lot of Finns in this area. So, anyway, this group, Da Yoopers, made a version of this song, sung in a thick Yooper accent, about a Yooper and what it’s like for him to drive around here in the winter during Christmastime. Haha :)
I’m hoping to be able to get a different song in this week (I was wanting to do it Sunday for Sabine’s season too, but that couldn’t happen). So for now..here is a silly song inspired by Wendy. Thanks for the encouragement to do it, Wendy! It was fun:)
Happy Holidays to everyone here❤️💚

Interesting my wife's grandparents left Finland and settled in Escanaba in the upper peninsula.

Joulupuu on rakennettu

The Christmas tree has been prepared,
Christmas is already at the door.
Gifts are hanging, on the spruce branches
The small candles illuminate the tree with beauty
Around the tree the children sing sweetly
Thank you, Jesus, our dear Saviour
You are our guest, our best Christmas gift
When you come you bring light, and gifts abundant
You give forgiveness, and all the riches of heaven

I had both a flu and Covid shots on Monday while Christmas music was playing. The germ of a song was born and emerged, like a Xenomorph two days later.

The main thing is to Just enjoy doing what you're doing and switch off from the ego and all that It entails. Comments should be considered an unexpected bonus and not an expected reward every time you put a choon up on here. If I like something I'll comment on It and If I don't I won't Its really that simple. I've made absolute clanger entries that make me wince in pain whenever I've played them back but hey they seemed like a good Idea at the time, you just learn from It and move forward. It's the first time I've heard the term 'Toxic Positivity' and I really don't understand how something that's defined as 'poisonous' can even be used in the same sentence as something being positive? Constructive criticism Is great Just so long as Its coming from the right place with good Intention. Too much over thinking going on here folks, enjoy playing your ukes, enjoy the Seasons experience and switch off all the other nonsense that's swirling around in your heads.

Time for me to join in the fun - it's been really busy and stressful the last couple of weeks, so I've been more absent than I should be, but here we go! Now to attempt to catch up on some videos, and engage in the (actually good-natured) views on mentioning when something's a one taker.

Hello again number two from me and there's a third in the pipeline

Sorry Steve. I only just noticed that you have asked for max 1 song a day. I posted 2 new videos today. (Excluding the 2 TLW videos, i am just sharing the joy with those 2:))

Hope you don't mind. :--D

I will refrain from posting tomorrow since i have used up my tomorrow song!:--D
Of course I forgive you - it's Christmas!

That's 64 on the playlist, and still a few days to go. Thanks to you all for getting stuck in. I was especially pleased to see a Seasons debut from flyingroc, doing a song which means a lot to quite a few of us here. A lovely Christmas bonus.

...and speaking of that song, here is my 2023 recording of it. A thing of beauty, and a welcome chance to remember the joy that Lesley aka barefootgypsy brought to this place.

LAST ONE! Thanks everyone for a beautiful week of holiday music! I'm going through all the songs, and compiling a little personal playlist of my own from my favorites....which is, like, most of them.
I know this song has been done to death. Rob's version had me bouncing and squirming in my seat like a happy puppy. (Seriously, it's a good thing y'all can't see how undignified my reactions are to your stuff!) But here's mine.

Also, I may need to upgrade my audio recording situation. You guys sound so good!

I see there have been multiple offerings of the lovely song, "Tread Softly To The Stable" by Lesley Fowkes. Does anyone have a chord sheet they could share?

General thoughts on the other discussion going on.

When something’s a one take song, I’ll sometimes comment because it’s something complex I’ve just learned and I’m really pleased to get in one. I can see the reason to talk about a recording being “quick and dirty” if they’re usually more polished, or usually use more tech - and I see something like “one take wonder” used that way.

Useful criticism is a tough one. I personally don’t give unsolicited criticism especially to people I don’t know - that can come across as rude. There’s an art to it.

I’m definitely not great and don’t pretend to be - I’ve only been playing a couple of years, and the uke was the first instrument I got anywhere with - but I am having fun, and I hope that comes across in the videos. But although there are some absolutely terrific players on the Seasons, it’s never actually occurred to me to rank myself in comparison. Other people are having fun and sharing, and that’s a lovely thing - and I enjoy the music.

i need to just leave here, i'm only a toxic ghost presence these days.
You were one of the people who really made me feel welcome when I joined the Seasons a few months back, and it was great to share the love of Tin Pan Alley music. Please don’t go. Keep the (non-toxic) positivity going if you’ve got it in you.

Top Bottom