Season 618 - Seasonal Songs

I see there have been multiple offerings of the lovely song, "Tread Softly To The Stable" by Lesley Fowkes. Does anyone have a chord sheet they could share?
I was just watching Steve’s version and playing along. The chords, as I heard them are as follows…..

F Dm Bb C

Dm F Bb C

Dm Am Dm Am

Gm C Dm

If you watch Steve’s vid you should be able to write down the words and match the chords. I think this is what I did with another lovely Lesley song Why Does Everybody Love A Snowman? 👍 ⛄

I see there have been multiple offerings of the lovely song, "Tread Softly To The Stable" by Lesley Fowkes. Does anyone have a chord sheet they could share?
Here are the chords I used -

[F][Dm][F][Dm]

Tread [F]softly to the [Dm]stable, a [Bb]wonder to [C]find,
The [Dm]Christ-child has [Am]come to a [Bb]world so un[C]kind
And he [Dm]lies so [Am]serene, with an [Dm]untroubled [Am]mind,
A [Gm7]King in a [C]stable so [Dm]lowly

[F][Dm][F][Dm]
Tread[F]softly to the [Dm]manger, a [Bb]baby lies [C]there,
A [Dm]babe with the [Am]moon and the [Bb]stars in his [C]hair,
And He [Dm]shines with a [Am]love so [Dm]exceedingly [Am]rare,
[Gm7]Love for a [C]world so un[Dm]heeding

[F][Dm][F][Dm]
Bend [F]softly near the [Dm]manger, a [Bb]wonder to [C]see,
The [Dm]Christ-child has [Am]come just for [Bb]you and for [C]me
And [Dm]yet does He [Am]know what will [Dm]soon come to [Am]be,
He will [Gm7]die for a [C]world full of [Dm]sorrow…

[F][Dm][F][Dm]
Sleep [F]softly, sweet [Dm]Jesus, the [Bb]future will [C]wait,
Though [Dm]Heaven and [Am]earth all [Bb]conspire in your [C]fate,
A [Dm]Saviour brings [Am]love to a [Dm]world full of [Am]hate,
A [Gm7]child in a [C]manger so [Dm]lowly
A [Gm7]King in a [C]manger so [Dm]lowly

[F][Dm][F][Dm]

Back in October, my wife found a big book of Christmas songs at a thrift store. Full piano scores with the chord figures for guitar above the staff for all the songs. This song proved so difficult that I never got around to trying any of the others. Maybe next year. I also did this one on low G tenor a few weeks ago for the Tin Pan Alley Facebook group. This time I took some video of my wife's Santa Claus collection.

I’m not a religious man but I do love to sing and play Christmas carols - especially this one. Starting with baritone uke, vocal and synth pad, then joined by tenor uke and vocal harmonies for second and third verses if you can stay the distance.
Happy Christmas everyone! 🙂

I'm packing for a trip to York over Christmas, where we're renting a flat so that none of us have to tidy up for the rest of the family at the end. Anyway, in the process, I realise that (following Jim's various "All I Want For Christmas" songs) all I want for Christmas is... well, you'll see.

I've just written this and I'm posting it straight away before I have a chance to think better of it.

I see Roy @flyingroc and Rob @wee_ginga_yin posted Christmas songs in other languages and i looked up some Chinese Christmas songs last night. Found one that used to be played on the radio a lot around Christmas time.

lyrics:
雪人怎么不见了
how does the snowman disappear
雪人怎么不见了
雪人只有手,没有脚
snowman has no feet but hands
叫它怎么跑
how can he run away
雪人只怕太阳照
snowman fears only the sunshine
太阳出来雪就消
snow melts away under the sunshine
雪人不会喊呀不会叫
snowman cannot talk or shout
那太阳出来它就只好融化掉
it melts away under the sunshine
雪人原来不坚牢
snowman is not tough
只怕太阳照
snowman is afraid of sunshine
太阳一出雪就消
雪人不见了
the snowman disappears
雪人怎么不见了
雪人原来不坚牢
snowman is not tough
虽然它有头呀也有脑
although it has head and brain
但太阳出来它就自己不能保

I said I had a 3rd on the way
This hopefully shows that my playing isn't all "thrash the uke as hard as possible and give a razz on the kazoo"
This is probably my favourite carol.

I see Roy @flyingroc and Rob @wee_ginga_yin posted Christmas songs in other languages and i looked up some Chinese Christmas songs last night. Found one that used to be played on the radio a lot around Christmas time.

lyrics:
雪人怎么不见了
雪人怎么不见了
雪人只有手,没有脚
snowman has no feet but hands
叫它怎么跑
how can he run away
雪人只怕太阳照
snowman fears only the sunshine
太阳出来雪就消
snow melts away under the sunshine
雪人不会喊呀不会叫
snowman cannot talk or shout
那太阳出来它就只好融化掉
雪人原来不坚牢
snowman is not tough
只怕太阳照
snowman is afraid of sunshine
太阳一出雪就消
雪人不见了
the snowman disappears
雪人怎么不见了
雪人原来不坚牢
snowman is not tough
虽然它有头呀也有脑
although it has head and brain
但太阳出来它就自己不能保

Screenshot_20231222-084037_Chrome.jpg

Unusually for me, here is a cover! It's my favourite song about Winter. It was written by one of the most under-exposed songwriters of the 1970s - Alan Hull. I rate him up there with the best.

If the song sounds familiar, that's because it was released with his band Lindisfarne.

My version could be titled "Winter Song (or the case of the receding woolly cap)" - if you watch the whole video you'll see what I mean. Also can you spot the Freudian slip?

Seasons greetings, Seasonistas!

Thursday night is Wood Street Dogs night and last night we rounded off our practice, and indeed our year, with this ramshackle re-working of a Johnny Cash classic with a Christmas twist.
You'll recognise me on the 8 string bari. The other guys are Ed (cello), Steve (geetar) and Pod (pedal steel).

Here's wishing you all a very merry Christmas and all the best for '24!
X

Top Bottom