Season 624 - My Hero/es

I find it interesting that almost everyone's heroes seem to be famous people. My heroes are local people who make great music. I know lots of heroes who hold down a full time job but are still great musicians whether they are gigging regularly or playing a few open mics. They don't have loads of people round them to hustle for gigs, set up the stage, run the sound desk etc etc they just do it all themselves and don't get the recognition they deserve despite being as good as some of the big names who just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Well, this is a great platform for you to bring them to our attention - pick a favourite local hero and cover some of their songs in the remaining few days of the Season? :)

Why is Leonard Cohen my hero, well because he mixes the sacred and the profane.

The spiritul is put in the blender with sex, he is adept and mixing salvation and damnation.

David plays music that pleases God, but is baffled that this is not enough, when captivated by Bathsheba naked on the roof top.

The carnal body always fighting with the spirital one, an eternal conflict. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

My contribution for the week -

My third and final submission for Gaspar Sanz this week.

”Clarines Y Trompetas”

Thanks so much for hosting, Del! I really got a lot out of this season, and am more motivated than I have been in a long time to focus on improving my playing.

🙏🏻 for you and your family. So very sorry for everyone’s suffering.❤️💛

Del, 6 songs. Yay. :--)

I have already posted 4 songs. Seeing your announcement gave me a chance to record a song by someone special to me.
Jon Duncan has been one of my favourite ukulele players since 2013, when I first bought a ukulele to teach myself how to play. He was like one of my uke heroes back then. He remains one of my favourite. And more than a great uke player, he is a wonderful songwriter as many will agree. Check out some of his many beautiful originals in this playlist here.
Here is Jon's original version of this song.

BUT, Del, since you wanted us to record 4 songs by the musician we like, I have to upload my cover of O My Stars by Michael Hurley to my channel and here FIRST, SO THAT I can try to stretch the theme and share my cover of Jon's song. Thornton Rule here. Hope you will accept it.

O My Stars

Jon's Between Yes And No

EDIT: when I sat down to try to sing and play it, I realised how deceptively simple Jon has made the song seem like, I could not get the phrasing down. But this is what it is today. I will try another time in the future.

Last edited:
Mind Your Own Business - Hank Williams

In 1980, Sneezy Waters played the part of Hank Williams in a TV movie called Hank Williams, The Show He Never Gave. Jackie had a bit part as a janiter who walked into the green room and found Hank there when he should have been on stage. They had a chat and Hank gave the janitor his guitar and they sang a duet of Mind Your Own Business.
My sister-in-law, Donna was in this movie and Maggie and I saw the show as a stage play with our friend Zeke Mazurek playing the part of Hank's fiddle player.
I guess this is my last Hero post this season. Thanks a lot for giving us this topic Del.

Jackie and Sneezy
Jackie & Sneezy.jpg

Sneezy and Donna (my sister-in-law)
Donna on hank.jpg

Del has given us some more latitude, so I'll do another here. I've only heard Jackie do one of Bob Dylan's songs and that was this one.
WALKIN' DOWN THE LINE - Bob Dylan
It was on a record that he did with his good buddies, Mose Scarlett and Ken Whiteley. They often played together and made a few CDs together.
It's also one of my favourite Dylan songs. No more coughing, but I'm having some trouble catching my breath.

Mose, Jackie & Ken.jpg

I'm coming a little late to the game this week, but my musical hero for the Season is Richard Thompson. A fantastic songwriter adept at both rock and folk, a tremendous guitarist on both electric and acoustic. The musician I've seen live the most times (eleven). Probably well known to Del as a gourmet purveyor of sad songs.

He's had an influence on both my songwriting and playing. I went through a stretch of writing story-songs, in which I was inspired by both Thompson and Robbie Robertson. And in my uke playing style, I'm often trying to use his habit of playing a lead line while using whatever fingers remain to also get the chord across.

Tough week, but I managed to make it here. Voice is 100% shot from the crud that my students shared with me, but here we go-
So many heroes to choose from, but I went with Steve Earl. I like everything about him, including his songs- hands down my favorite live performer. Just an American treasure really. I think we were supposed to post originals?

My mom saw the musical "Oliver" and bought the record of the soundtrack. As kids in 1964ish we heard it a ton. My mom would have me sing this song repeatedly along with the record and even took the record over to my cousins so they could hear me sing this in my sweet boy soprano voice. There are a bunch of reasons this song spoke to me as a 6-7 yr old -- parental conflict, alcoholism. Singing "Where is Love?" was the first positive attention I got for a musical behavior and makes the composer Lionel Bart a hero to me. I learned how to play his song 60 years later.

Tough week, but I managed to make it here. Voice is 100% shot from the crud that my students shared with me, but here we go-
So many heroes to choose from, but I went with Steve Earl. I like everything about him, including his songs- hands down my favorite live performer. Just an American treasure really. I think we were supposed to post originals?

Posting only originals would eliminate a lot of musical heroes. Performing and composing are two entirely different skills. Some excell at performing (Billie Holiday, Frank Sinatra, Tom Rush), some at song writing (Cole Porter, Burt Bacharach, Lieber & Stoler), and there are a few who excell at both. Nothing in Del's opening post restricts us to only song-writers. Feel free to post some Townes or Pete Seeger covers that Steve Earle has done.

The theme this week was a great theme for me, because it really made me stop and reflect for a while. I first thought of the singer-songwriters of the 70’s had a huge influence on me in my teens…but perhaps even before that, the folk singers deeply inspired me when I was a pre-teen. Because of the folksinger, I saved my money and bought a guitar to teach myself, and also, perhaps even more important, they influenced my social consciousness and awareness of the world around me. For this week I put together a medley of three songs (all originally sung by Joan Biaz, and several others over the years) that shaped my early teens. I am playing my Baritone ukulele.

Time's been funny these past few weeks, but glad I could make some time to get this one in. It's 'Imagine'... a word I have tattooed on my wrist, in Lennon's handwriting. I guess I'm a dreamer.

Let's see if I can figure out that last tune I wanted to figure out, in t-minus 1.5 hrs or so!!

As many of y'all know, my musical heroes are the Clash, nicknamed "the only band that matters" by the music press. And my favorite Clash album is Combat Rock. And the one song I've never tried on ukulele from Combat Rock - before this week - was...

I now officially declare Season 624 Of The Ukulele to be at an end. Big thanks to all who took part for your heroic efforts and your wonderful music. I will be back in a day or two with a wrap, and an announcement of the winner and runners up. In the meantime I would suggest you flutter off to Season 625 - a little birdie tells me there’s an eggcellent new theme under way. Have fun!

And thank you all again! :)

I now officially declare Season 624 Of The Ukulele to be at an end. Big thanks to all who took part for your heroic efforts and your wonderful music. I will be back in a day or two with a wrap, and an announcement of the winner and runners up. In the meantime I would suggest you flutter off to Season 625 - a little birdie tells me there’s an eggcellent new theme under way. Have fun!

And thank you all again! :)
Thank you! What a great theme and week!

Reactions: joo
Top Bottom