Season 625 - This Season is for the Birds

Actually written by Septimus Winner and Richard Milburn and published in 1855 under the pseudonym of "Alice Hawthorne" for some reason. The sheet music I used was published by Calumet Music in 1936, so it probably isn't totally accurate to the original song. I have learned, from seeing numerous pieces of music published by Calumet, that they were notorious for taking old songs like this--keeping in mind that in 1936 this song was already 81 years old--and slightly changing the music and lyrics so they could put their copyright on it and make money from it. I need to see if I can hunt down the sheet music that is more contemporary with the original publication date. Anyway, it was quite popular during the Civil War and President Lincoln expressed his fondness for it at least once. "Alice Hawthorne" also wrote "Voices of the Woods," a.k.a. "Welcome, Sweet Springtime," which I have also recorded but I did not know that the name was only a pseudonym at the time.

The playlist so far has 55 videos! I would love to have the stats for how many different birds have been mentioned, but I have not made those stats happen. I know of the top of my head there have been crows, blackbirds, a whippoorwill, a heron, an albatross, a chicken, and an eagle, as well as the ever-popular “bird”. Probably others that are slipping my mind, too.

Hi! I had SUCH PLANS for last week, and then COVID hit, and everyone in my family except me had to isolate. I got to sleep in the guest room with the dog, and keep everyone fed while still doing job things. It's been a week, and I didn't even think of picking up my poor neglected ukulele until two days ago. But I have two that I just recorded in quick succession. They've both got a lovely springtime theme about enjoying the little things in life... Here's the first....

Hi! I had SUCH PLANS for last week, and then COVID hit, and everyone in my family except me had to isolate. I got to sleep in the guest room with the dog, and keep everyone fed while still doing job things. It's been a week, and I didn't even think of picking up my poor neglected ukulele until two days ago. But I have two that I just recorded in quick succession. They've both got a lovely springtime theme about enjoying the little things in life... Here's the first....

The best things in life are free, but you can give that to the birds and the bees, I want money... thats what I thought when I saw the title.🤭🤣

Seen some of the best shows of my life at the Bottom Of The Hill in San Francisco, and my favorite singer ever works there (Bob Reed- Overwhelming Colorfast/ Titan Ups). Could not get this one out of my head.
A crow, a scavenger type…RIP Anchor Steam.

I will not have the time to participate this week, but I cant help to think of two songs I recorded for two seasons within the last two years, which are both listing a new bird in each verse. Those would have been perfect 😆

Here is my entry. A case of the 1st take being the best musically only I forgot to smile :)

I've done this one especially for Ukecan1 as she gets a name check in it. I think we started playing uke about the same as time.

What other song could I do really for this season?

Love it, Robin! We both got name checked. 😆

I started in Season 84 - I think you came along quite soon after that? I remember I posted my first video on my 29th day of uking, and you on, I think your third?! That was an impressive showing.

Last edited:
Thanks for hosting, Amanda!

It's been a while since I've written an original, but this season brought about the reminder of an anonymous bird quote that I appreciate and wanted to try turning into a song. That became the chorus and I ended up writing the rest by piecing together a buncha different bird phrases/sayings. I'm not sure what it all means, but this is what came out.

"For the Birds"

Don't kill us with one stone.
In the hand
I'm worth two in the bush.
This coop, I have flown
At dawn to catch the worm.

A little bird told me...

A bird in a tree
is not afraid
of the branch breaking.
Because it's trust is not in the branch,
but in it's own wings.

It's easy to see
from a bird's eye view.
Sometimes the flock
together chases the goose.

A little bird told me...

A bird in a tree
is not afraid
of the branch breaking.
Because it's trust is not in the branch,
but in it's own wings.

This cold world's for the birds.

I painted a couple birds on my thumb and I'm joined by this cute chick that Brittni Paiva crocheted!

Love it, Robin! We both got name checked. 😆

I started in Season 84 - I think you came along quite soon after that? I remember I posted my first video on my 29th day of uking, and you on, I think your third?! That was an impressive showing.
You are about right, my first season was 86, Disney songs, which was October 2013, I had been playing 2 weeks.

Thanks for hosting, Amanda! :)

Here’s an original. I wrote it for Season 546, but for today I’ve reworked it a little slower and stripped back to just baritone uke, synth bass and vocal harmonies on the chorus.

Last edited:
Seen some of the best shows of my life at the Bottom Of The Hill in San Francisco, and my favorite singer ever works there (Bob Reed- Overwhelming Colorfast/ Titan Ups). Could not get this one out of my head.
A crow, a scavenger type…RIP Anchor Steam.

We lived at Vermont and Mariposa for a few years in the early 2010’s. You could smell whenever Anchor was mashing. And I miss being just a few blocks away from Bottom of the Hill. I think Yellow Ostrich and The Thermals were probably the best shows I saw there.

This was the first song that came to mind for Arvin’s recent tour of the cosmos, but I couldn’t bring myself to record it. Then opportunity knocked again in Del’s recent season but I couldn‘t be bothered to get up and answer the door. Then I saw this Season’s theme and decided that sometimes The Universe is calling and you just have to pick up, no matter how much you might not want to. Anyway, here’s Wilco’s Hummingbird. Thanks for hosting…

Top Bottom