Season 626 - Body language

Time for a jazz standard, featuring lips, arms, eyes, and (part that once was my) heart. Quite a few ingredients to build the Frankenstein's monster we're making this season.

Cool! I sing this in our 6 piece uke ensemble

Arvin, thanks for hosting!

Overcoming a cold, but I gave it my all … I’ll show myself out. (Repeat entry. Mitch did it first.)

^ You're welcome. We'll take it as a reprise of sorts. :)

Nice to see more All of Me - quite possibly it's the song that first got me into jazz from that era.

Also nice to see a good few Beatles offerings this season. Here's mine.

Tomorrow is moving day for me. Back to Yangon I go, but before I do, let me leave you a final performance from the rooftop here in Mandalay. Knowing how busy I'm going to be today, there are no effects, multi-tracking, or harmonies in this, and the video is one shot straight from the phone to YouTube.
This is a repeat from Season 446, but I wanted to do it again because it's a song worth adding to my repertoire.

Day 3 is done! We've had some great entries in the past 24 hours. If you haven't already heard them, please give them a listen if you have a moment.

@Joko Good luck with the move! We'll see you on the other side. That was a fun tune.

The playlist is up to date. I'll have to catch up on commenting when I get some time tomorrow morning.

I think I'm done recording...The mix is nearly done unless I decide to add more synth or strings after work tomorrow (lol).

audition.JPG

Hello everyone, and happy Valentine's Day.
I was born and live in the city of "San Valentino" and therefore I couldn't help but play a love song🥰 (in the text it features the word “head” which I think is enough to participate this week) 😅
It's a beautiful song by Eric Clapton called Wonderful tonight.
As always I leave the pleasure of singing it to you😉
Greetings to everyone

Here is my Valentine's Day Card in song to my darling Carmen. I hope you like it.

Hello, yet again, Arvin, I have just wasted the major part of a lovely, sunny day producing this "masterpiece!" It involves "editing" - but not as you know it ... more the addition of policemen's whistles, cymbals and drum rolls. I'd never heard this song before yesterday, and the only song of Chris de Burgh's I knew was "The Lady in Red." This one is on another level ... RESPECT!!! Strangely, considering the subject matter, it doesn't mention many body parts; only lips and hips. Anyway, herewith ....

Last edited:
I've done this one at least twice here, I'm sure...
But here it is again:

MY FACE - John Hartford
Well, this is the last of my four submissions Arvin, except for my quarter song. I thought of doing Gene McLellan's Face In The Mirror, or maybe Tom Waits' Bad Liver & A Broken Heart, but this rarely heard John Hartford tune seems to suit and it's a new one for me to perform.

Last edited:
Here's my quarter song Arvin. I think this was a Lead Belly song. I learned it from a Sing Out! magazine some time in the sixties. Since you allow us 4 and 1/4 songs this season, this is my 1/4 song, and since I can only recall one verse. This is the first song I recorded this week and I think I'm supposed to post the 1/4 song after I have posted the four full songs, so this one will be dormant for a while.

Time for some real country with a capital "C"! One measure of a good song is how often it is covered by other artists and this song has been recorded by such country legends as Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys, Ray Price, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, and Buck Owens among many others. This song mentions head, arms, eyes and lips. (And shoes can't walk without feet!) - My Shoes Keep Walking Back To You.

So, I finally finished after 5 days of learning, recording, editing & then adding more instrumentation. I know @Renaissance-Man had suggested I do a collab with a singer for this, but I had to see my vision through.

In total, this short excerpt has 6 synth parts (synth chord at the beginning / end, the pitch bend, the main vocal melody, the backup French melody in the chorus, a synth-y cello bass and the random synth percussion). It also has 2 baritone ukes, 1 electric tenor uke, a bass and an electric guitar.

As usual, I learned a lot...Mainly cause it's one huge trial by fire.

PS - the playlist is up to date to the best of my knowledge as Day 4 comes to an end.

I think I've got a fair shot that this will be the only song this week to mention a varicose vein. It also mentions fingers. I learned this last month for the Seasonista open mic. It's one of my favorite songs of 2023, from a solo album by Grian Chatten, who is the singer for the Irish band Fontaines D.C. This is the correct spelling of the song title, though the lyrics may suggest otherwise.

Here's my quarter song Arvin. I think this was a Lead Belly song. I learned it from a Sing Out! magazine some time in the sixties. Since you allow us 4 and 1/4 songs this season, this is my 1/4 song, and since I can only recall one verse. This is the first song I recorded this week and I think I'm supposed to post the 1/4 song after I have posted the four full songs, so this one will be dormant for a while.

For me it is always great to see how a song evolves. I think this original by leadbelly must have had many changes to it as it moved through the folk circuit. I particularly like the version by Tom Rush.

I think that would make an interesting season doing a song recorded by one artist but made more famous by another.

Top Bottom